Authentication Failed; No one can connect to server

Game mode: Online private/Unofficial dedicated server
Type of issue: Performance/Bug
Server type: PVP, PVE; doesn’t matter
Region: North America

No one can connect to my server, (which was working/running fine before the june patches and the implementation of FuncomLiveServices).
The server shows up in the server list, and if you try to connect to it, you’ll get an authentication failed error.
If you try to direct connect to the server, you will get an authentication failed error.
If you try to connect via steam server page, you will get an authentication failed error.
No, I am not using the same computer to host and play.
No, I am not connecting via LAN/multihome. Doesn’t matter; Other players can’t connect either.

I created a brand new Conan Exiles server using the Dedicated Server Launcher, NO MODS, FRESH DOWNLOAD. Made sure all the correct ports are open in both firewall, router, etc.

Anyone that tries to connect to the server will get Authentication Failed over and over and over.
The server log consistently come up with “LogFuncomLiveServicesError: VerifyIdentity Failed: Request Timeout or null response” for anyone that tries to connect. <–Betting this is the issue!

Start an Ark server with the same ports; no issues, others can connect.
Start a Minecraft server with the same ports; no issues, others can connect.
Start a Rust server with the same ports; no issues, others can connect.
Start a Dark and Light server with the same ports; no issues, others can connect.
Check ports are open at canyouseeme . org. Yeah, they’re visible.
Check ports are open with DedicatedSertverLauncher. Yeah, they’re visible.
Try different ports, both Game Client ports and Steam Query ports. No difference, still authentication failed errors.
Verified that none of the other devices on the network were using the ports (but since the server has a a static local ip and port forwarding is directed to that machine only, it shouldn’t have made a difference (aka: no other machine on the network has ports forwarded in the router)).
Try the server with different options turned on/off.
Battleye on/off ; No difference, still authentication failed errors.
VAC on/off ; No difference, still authentication failed errors.
Multihome on/off ; No difference, still authentication failed errors.
Firewall completely disabled ; No difference, still authentication failed errors.
Antivirus completely disabled ; No difference, still authentication failed errors.
Firewall AND Antivirus disabled ; No difference, still authentication failed errors.
Every combination of every possible setting you can enable/disable : Time consuming, and no difference. Still authentication failed on connection.
Flush DNS, checked windows host files for any odd changes… Nothing.
Validated server files; No change.
Completely deleted everything Conan Exiles Server related, re-downloaded, re-setup, re-went through all the same troubleshooting with No change in results.

I can host 4+ other dedicate game servers using the EXACT SAME PORTS with zero connection issues, people can connect just fine.
My CONAN EXILES SERVER was WORKING before the June updates.
I have to assume that this issue has something to do with FuncomLiveServices, as every time someone tries to connect, I get “LogFuncomLiveServicesError: VerifyIdentity Failed: Request Timeout or null response” error, and the server was working fine before FuncomLiveServices were implemented.

I have the exact same issue… I can’t seem to get any answers

Yeah, I hear ya. I’ve probably read a couple dozen threads concerning server issues now, but nothing that works for anyone else seems to work for me. It’s really frustrating, as I can get other servers (Ark/Rust/etc) working on the same ports with no issues.
I tried the admins discord, and had someone look at my log files, but they seemed like they didn’t see what the issue was on my end either. They did note that it was weird that I was “connecting from unknown country”, which is messed up… I’m in the US, and steam knows that… So apparently the server can’t see that info.

Hey @Velluminous

If you’re using the dedicated server launcher, please send your feedback on its thread here:

Thanks.

@Ignasi
I actually usually run the server directly from a .bat file, with command line arguments.
I tried the dedicated server launcher, but it made no difference. The issue still persists.
I’ve talked with Toolguy on the admins discord about this as well, and he has forwarded my .log files to the development team to look at. He pointed out that FuncomLiveServices error I mentioned, as well as the server not being able to see what country I’m logging in from (“user logging in from unknown country”) despite my being in the united states and having my steam profile set to Indiana, USA as well.

I am pretty sure this is a standard line in the logs. At least it is something we see on the logs of the 2 servers I have access to and we have no issues connecting. It must be something else.

P.S. Ignasis is on vacation for the next 3 weeks.

I deleted my entire server directory from before the June updates to do a fresh install (troubleshooting to try and fix the authentication failed issue), so I don’t have any logs from before then to check and see if I was getting user logged in from unknown country errors before or not. Honestly, the server was working fine before, so I never bothered to check the logs.

Solution for consistent “authentication failed” messages, courtesy of Bignstrauss (Can't join server - "authentication failed"):

1. Open Internet Options on your computer
  2. Go to the Advanced tab
  3. Scroll down to Security
  4. Check the box for “Use TLS 1.2” (enable it!)

I did this on my server and was immediately able to connect. It was already enabled on my client PC, so I don’t know if it needs to be enabled on both server and client or just server.

3 Likes

I believe it has to do with your operating system. I have Windows 7 for both my client and server side so I had to do it for both but I believe newer systems won’t have to set it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.