Base parts decaying without reason or warning?

Checked my event log today and it says a shelf decayed, destroying the chest that was on it.

● Shelf was attached to a full 168 hour base.
● There was never any message that the shelf entered into a decayed state
● No “destroyed by a pet or thrall” message in event log.
● Plenty of other shelves with chests on them in the base, they’re all still there
● Nothing in the base is damaged. Ninja purge ruled out.

Does anyone know why a single item like this would suddenly “decay” without warning?

There are plenty of other chests-on-shelves in the base, but this is the only one that was affected. As luck would have it, also the most valuable one.
Hours of thrall capturing flushed down the tube, as my event log shows… :unamused:

2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Ketmet the Whisperer is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Parin of the Blood Moon is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Nordheimer Priest III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Yog Archpriest is lost. (2)
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Mei the Blade is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Senk the Pillowdancer is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Nordheimer Entertainer III is lost. (3)
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Imiu of Derketo is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Lianeele is lost. (2)
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Cimmerian Entertainer III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Stygian Dancer III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Rokur the Alchemist is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Sayd Secretkeeper is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Darfari Medicine Man III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Amzadi the wanderer is lost. (2)
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Cimmerian Bearer III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Hyrkanian Bearer III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Nordhaimer Bearer III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Bragoras the Baker is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Black Hand Captain is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Mandughai Hundred-arrow is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Ennis the Gobbler is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Hanar of Bossonia is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Njoror Battleborn is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Lissira is lost. (2)
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Deirde Deathbringer is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Nordheimer Fighter III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Dalinsia Snowhunter is lost. (4)
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Cimmerian Berserker is lost. (4)
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Cimmerian Archer III is lost.
2019.03.16-07.23.41 Lootbag owned by Solstice has decayed, item Frigga Falsehope is lost. (2)
2019.03.16-07.21.40 Shelf owned by Solstice has decayed
2019.03.16-07.21.40 Large Chest owned by Solstice has lost stability

1 Like

A chest on a shelf ?

So you’re play on privat server, or singleplayer, and with mods ?
I can place chests on shelfes without mods.

Did you check your stuff with repair-hammer to see the decay-timer of the others items and structures around them ?

This is on Official server # 1930.

It is totally possible to put a chest on a shelf, legitimately and without moods. There are guides all over on how to do it.
Forum won’t let me insert links, but do a YouTube search for “Conan Exiles Boxes On Shelves - PC Mini-Tip Plus Bonus DLC” and the first result should point you in the right direction.

Forum won’t let me insert screenshots, but if you’re on server # 1930 you can check out my base at F4 on the map. North end of Shattered Bridge, on the water, owned by Solstice. Just walk inside and see examples of chests on shelves. It’s not a trick, lots of people do it.

Yes, I checked with a repair hammer. Nothing is damaged, base was not even close to decaying. It is kind of odd that a shelf would decay for no reason, yet the wall it’s attached to is intact, don’t you think?

That’s why I am so puzzled by this. Why would a random shelf in a non-decaying base suddenly go POOF for no reason?

1 Like

My day wouldn’t really not be long enoug if i had to jump by to look at each base, ever if i wished so, so sorry, no, not really an option.

But, i believe that even it may work placing your chest like described, the result is here, chest dispeared. So i would say, not the best option. I still use ceilings to put my containers above workbenches, if i want that.
Same with wedge-foundations and ceilings, while there are working, they remain still tricky, and i avoid mostly placing to much stuff on them. Sure it should work, but its you and me losing stuff after all.

I’ve had chests on shelves for months on Official. No trickery involved, just a bit of care when placing them. None of them have decayed (to my knowledge) in that time.

1 Like

I play on xbox, official server 2731, and just had an artisans workbench decay in the middle of my base. Mind you nothing else decayed and it was next to two other stations that are fine. I lost the thrall and everything in it. Oh, I hadn’t logged in for two days and it was my main base.

I was going to post this bug today.

4 Likes

Official servers crashed again so might answer u, many on my server have had chest placed on shelves just dissapear!!! So do not place them on shelves. Shelves are for skulls, candles tea pots…

1 Like

This isn’t new construction. These chests on shelves were built several months ago. Why would this one, and none of the others, last several months and then suddenly decay for no reason?

Besides, I don’t think this is a construction issue. The forums have several other people posting about the same problem. This bug takes out random pieces of anybody’s base.

2 Likes

Sadly this is happening on other servers aswell, some of us on official 1041 suffer from it, stuff that lose stability/decay.
It can be a chest on shelf, but also crafting benches that suddenly decays overnight, I lose stuff several times each month, and I know a few more people on this server having the same problem, it seems to happen right after a server restart.
I made a post in the Updates & Bugs forum and asked some of those having the same problem to post their problems there, sadly they never did and no word from any other or Funcom so the thread died after a week despite it having proof of what happened, the problem still appears on the server, so I don’t think there’s any fix for it :frowning:

Here’s my post in case you want to see it…

2 Likes

Sure, just was pointing at this particular construction.
I know it can happen that peaces and elements disaspear after patches.

I checked especially lately older DB after the last patch. And of course more older the DB is, and the buildings, there more this may happen.
To tell you, loading a DB dating around and before the halloween event, made vanish 3-4 wedges ceilings in one of my main-base in this game-db.

Official servers may be more touched due to the heavy use and load of the server. Also there barely never wiped. So all in all, yes, this may happen for players.
Less with a new DB, more the older the DB is and the servers was running.

Not a chest, but I had a writing desk and the items atop it disappear from my main base last week without warning. I log in pretty much every day, and visit my main base multiple times each login, so there’s no way it should have decayed (the base has been maxed at 168 hours since September) yet here we are.

Note that the carpet the desk was sitting on, the chair behind it, the foundations, vault, & thralls in close proximity were all fine. The one similarity I’m seeing to the chest bugs is that in both cases, these were placeables resting atop other placeables. Mind you, that describes pretty much ever tavern’s bar, every study, every dining room, and a lot of bedrooms, so clearly it’s more complicated than just placeables on placeables. In any event, it seemed to start just after the base loading optimization patch, so I’m assuming it’s one of the bugs they alluded they would hotfix.

BTW, this was on Official PvE #1502 if we’re keeping track.

2 Likes

It really takes the fun out of the game, knowing that anything you create can be randomly destroyed due to buggy code. My incentive to try anything else in Conan Exiles is plummeting…

The bugs… it’s just one thing after another…

1st, the official servers were crashing all day. This left me stranded in the volcano, where I died to heatstroke (I assume) because the game strips you naked when you’re offline, and all of the gear I was carrying was lost. OK, that’s annoying.

2nd, they fixed the Set/Ymir altar’s by sliding the existing ones back a full foundation. Even worse, they implemented this without fixing the “NOT ALIGNED ENOUGH WITH THE GROUND” bug this altar has. (You can’t place it in the middle of a foundation, only on the edges). So now you have to destroy that altar and start over, but it’s going to be crooked. That’s very… ARGH!

3rd, the issue this thread is about, a shelf randomly disappears in a puff of smoke without any warning or damage or reason. Just my luck, the thrall chest is on it. Making it the most time consuming (if not impossible) to replace container in the entire base.
Impossible, in a sense, because it had pre-patch thralls in it that actually looked normal. Post-patch, those same thralls look like they decided to go Hare Krishna. (Seriously, see Senk the Pillowdancer or Daya Leaddrinker before & after pics. Can’t upload example, new user.)

This one really takes the cake. What kind of open world building game has a bug where the building pieces just disappear for no reason?

Funcom, stop doing this kind of stuff. :confused:

1 Like

Despite what all the “never happened to me, you must be doing something wrong” guys say, these things always happened in Conan Exiles.

After latest patch I have lost 90% (only map room and the construction surrounding it remained) of my first ever built base, and was an extensive one, my log shows only “server restart”, and an infinite list of “lost stability” and “Decayed” following.
A base that was up since the first weeks the game launched and that I carefully maintained and timer-checked 48 hours before…literally.

No drama from me, I couldn’t care less, I didn’t have any valuable item/thrall inside and I was planning to doze it sooner or later anyway, as I have way too many bases to check upon after 1 year of gameplay.
To all the guys saying “never had this problem” though, I answer “it is just waiting for you down the road”, no matter how careful and dedicated you can be, is not something you can control.

So yes, very much this:

If the system allows to place an item in a place, it MUST grant that the item remains in place, with respect of the decaying mechanism.
There is no good ways or bad ways to place items while the system allows you to do so.
Freedom and creativity, this is the whole point of this game.
More likely there are system-safe ways or system-bugged ways.

What you suggesting here is to fight game bugs (placing on ceilings rather than wedges etc etc), and believe me, we don’t need these kind of suggestions, because is what every player already does daily, but I am sure only a small part of us enjoy it.

As I wrote in another post, the survival in CE is not hunger, thirst or enemies, is the game code.

1 Like

I have a theory.

I, too, have seen this. However - only for a small, circular table. While the table (and the placables on it) has not decayed yet - it does keep showing up in my Event Log as threatening to decay (entering the vulnerable decayed state).

It hasn’t poofed yet. But I regularly visit this location, and presumably reset the timer on it.

I think what we are witnessing is perhaps a small list of placables (including the small table, the shelves, etc.) that are not properly affixing and binding to the landclaim of the foundation blocks where it is placed. That is my theory at least. And, if these placables weren’t affixing to the rest of the landclaim in that area (inside your base, or whatever), that would explain the unpredicable and unexplained decay.

As for the shelves and the iron chests - that loss is discouraging, for sure. Because the placable was providing structural support for the iron chest, when the shelf decays, the iron chest loses stability, and hence collapses. :frowning:

EDIT: I know that some of the recent patches (say, last 3-4 weeks) have updated the decay system. My evidence of this is an abandoned building on a sparsely populated server seemed to have half of the building decay. I believe that the building system optimization might have affected the decay - rules about when blocks load, and when blocks don’t, and as a result some odd decay situations have manifested.

2 Likes

Did u check shelf stability when placing it full of thralls inside a chest ? xD must weigh 400kgs…

I logged in today after taking one day off from the PC. I logged off Late Friday night. Logged in Sunday afternoon and lost my Pin with 4 shale backs in it. Food bin, fish catching equipment and 2 thrall training, one that was training a level 3 thrall when I logged off Friday. It shows in the logs that things started to decay less then 5 hours after I logged off. There doesn’t seem to be a system in place to report these things. Can anyone help with that?

To come back to this tread, i had a new case yesterday.

So i think it’s more related to collision on some object, and the meshes itself.

Yesterday, build a base, singleplayer, no mods, as tests, set-up a little house, a rug in it, a stool on the rug. Went outside for some activity, came back about 1 hour later, the chair had poofed.

Do decay, nope, to short, and set for singleplayer in this case. The house, carpet and stool was just newly made, and placed.

My table that keeps hitting the logs threatening to decay is placed on top of a rug. (!!!)

To add to this…

I signed on after a few days. It takes awhile to load in my base, so the first thing I do is check my event log.

Ornate Single Bed owned by Solstice has changed decay state to abandoned. Will decay at 2019.03.29-11:45.32

There’s only one ‘Ornate Single Bed’ so I know which one is it. I go to check it with a repair hammer, and its decay time is 168 hour just like the rest of the base around it. Guess I caught this one in time.

But why would a bed just up and decay out of the middle of a base like that, while the rest of the structure around it remains intact?

Another interesting thing of note. Although my Event Log shows that the bed was ready to decay, nowhere does it say that the bed was returned to normal state. Why does the game get ready to decay something, and then forget to mention that it was refreshed?

Now the bed is on a carpet. And there are pillows on the bed itself. So maybe there is something to the ‘stacking item on other items’ theory that bugs out placeable items.

It’s a strange open-world building game when you have to make sure that you don’t use certain open-world building items. :confused:

1 Like