Blood and Sand building pieces - Disappointing and exciting at the same time!

I have several insulated wood buildings just north of Sepermeru, and I haven’t suffered any adverse heat effects in them. Cold-resistant armor is significantly more hazardous to health out there.

2 Likes

While the Blood & Sand dlc is looking fantasic in the Building pieces, the Weapons and especially the Armours department (I love them!), it is looking extremely lean in the Placeables department. I mean we have the Banners which are downright cool (no religious ones though… :confused:) and then theres the…oh wait that is it! Considering the gladiatorial theme, this dlc pack would have been the perfect opportunity to launch some often requested items such as Armour Display Racks/Manequinns, Practice Dummies, some Standing Weapon Racks, maybe some wall or floor mounted Spikes or Manacles like another user suggested.

3 Likes

Faithful, never stop fighting!!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I love Funcom Tselem and I defend them, but I am also still a servant of the people, and shall always be. You know, I have never been huge on Pet skins, this pack could have also produced some really cool ones. Hypothetically speaking, I would have maybe thought along the lines of Spikey collars and odd Spikey armour pieces, broken chains around their necks, blood stains or spatter on their fur from past human victims. The whole ‘captured savage animal’ theme. But thats just me.

I love the barbarian/savage theme, I’d love way mooore things like darfari or violent tribals, all the DLC are cool but at same time too “sarcastic word for soft elegant warriors similar to female cats” (^^) in my tastes.
The game shoudl refine itself in many way to be “honest” in 2020, too often I thought that devs could do way more, but prefer to make you (customer) pay for more.
Mannequins, aesthetics, more layers in character’s creation (tattoes or hairs or more) are thing that are quite easy to make but many things here are not working since day one.
How can I take seriously the effort of making new DLC’s content while basic stuff are still bugged or bad working?
Enemies AI is still deeply stupid, nav-meshing still very troubled, even the combat “fatalities” are not-immersive and nonsensical (decapitating a foe with a straight forward pike belly attack? really? ^^).
Somehow I have the taste that they develop only what you have to pay and who cares about the rest (hair/clothes physic dying glitch due to character’s height is a massive error since D1, never fixed and I do not think due to incompetence).
Religions, as races are “useless”, are mere useless aesthetic… what’ the purposue of being “pictic” or “hyborian” if , in the end, I have no bonus/malus from my race and not even any graphic diversity?
Religions are the same, ok can craft some suite or weapon but (I was a singleplayer offline too if you remember) being derketos’ or Mitra’s adept doe not change anything in terms of gameplay.
Crom should give you at least a minimum stats improving (being a Crom’s faithful made you tougher than the other having NO god to assist you, maybe +1 in STRENGHT ? a bit of something…)
Many things could change this game from good ideas to great game, but I do not have the feeling that this will ever change.

Role-playing.

1 Like

When I watched the preview, I had 2 thoughts:

1. Why is the char in the building “Hot” ? - Now I know, it is so unbelievable unlogical to make cold protection in a “sand” theme

2. Honestly, I was not too impressed with the gladiator Outfits, had expected more the style from the romans. These look more like “normal” armours

You do not role-play (trust me, I’ve been a DM for over 20 years and I kno sumthang 'bout roleplaying) trough characters that in the end they all look the same: the creation editor is too generalistic and so the races are not truly shown in the game so there is no true difference.
Is like choosing to play a dwarven race and then you edit your characters as a taller black skinned elf (drow), you call it a roleplayed dwarf?
Having clear limits to your creativity (in terms of races, do not misunderstand me the more you can alter the better it is) enahnce the differentiation betweenn races or cults or “ethnicity”.
The basic (and only) editor makes you choose from different races that does not affect aspect (you can always be a “drow”) or gameplay in any sense (a race more “swift” than others, some race more “heavy”?).
But in the end we’re talking about a game that makes you crouch and walk stealthy and it has basically no sense at all ^^

I’ve been a role-player for ~28 years, and I’ve been successfully role-playing characters represented by ASCII symbols on the screen. It’s what goes on in your imagination that matters, not what you can see with your eyes.

On tabletop RPGs we often use dice to represent our characters on the battle map instead of e.g. miniatures. It still works.

So yeah, please don’t tell me how to role-play just because your personal way of doing it is different.

4 Likes

So you do not need a graphic adventure to discuss, just enjoy ASCII symbols don’t you?
You are totally missing the point just for the purpose of self affirmation. ok big time roleplayer, did you (at least) understand what I was trying to say about a game that involves graphic a lil’ more evovled than ascii ?
Or maybe just imagine this conversation and skip all discussion , you can always imagine them with your higher brain while me and other lowlifers with zero imagination need to fix some point

Can the hostility, please. We can disagree in a civilized manner.

You said that “you do not role-play through characters that in the end all look the same”, didn’t you? Why could you not role-play using near-identical toons? I think you need to explain your argument in more detail to convince me.

People have used, and will continue to use, all sorts of media and paraphernalia to represent their character, from detailed cosplays to no visual representation at all.

Sure, Conan Exiles’s character creation system can be used to break immersion by creating dark-skinned Nordheimers or white Darfari, and it doesn’t give you much variety in the way of body types etc. But that doesn’t stop you from role-playing the character as you want. It’s just a matter of mutual agreement, really - if you want your Conan Exiles character to be an elf, and your RPG group agrees to this level of suspension of disbelief, then by all means, be an elf.

Just like that pink 12-sided die on the D&D combat grid in our tabletop RPG is my halfling rogue.

2 Likes

The elf speaking was just an example (e.g) but it obviously missed the point.
So, I will try to put down the hostility (believe me I have a full pack of it) and I willt ry again to explain myself.
Putting aside the big imagination (why discuss of anything? I do not even need to buy a videogame, I can simply imagine it) I will put the focus on a practical fact:
• choosing races or cults have no effect: all races does not include attributes variations, ok.
• races not even givers ethnicity/visual difference (you can actually be an Hyborian with a total darfari look).
This is my point, if I create a character (and believe it or not, I created more than dunno, 400 or 500 characters in the game, for the sole purpose of roleplaying, trying to be a thief, a warrior, a savage barbarian, a diplomat or a pirate… just to renew my game as much as I could) I find these races totally inefficient in the roleplaying experience.
you create a random character and you have no real difference from another, my english is not so good so maybe I’m not clear as I would be: the fact that you can do “anything” removes the possibility of something different between people. (I do not even use the respec options and potions).

Creating a warrior should implement the chance of making him “unique” in his ethnic/graphic (maybe moveset I’m going too far) but in the end all are the same.
Everything is the same, but maybe I’m asking too much for the game itself, but I see many good ideas around the forum and so I think that CE could have been way more than a game with bankrupting only purpouse.
Always praised the great artistic side of this game, sadly drowned in poor mechanics and technical flaws

lol - just came across your comment about “dark skinned Nordheimers”
Reminded me of my main Skyrim character…

A Nord, as black as can be, (with whats given), and blue eyes…
Role-play… no problems…

update:
Just saw you and @Tselem ‘going at it’ - “20 years” “28 years” - lol!
Dear gods!!! you both are going to have a sit back and laugh at this.

20 years - feels like the other day to me! lol!

To be straight - I bought the season pass.
It felt - empty…

• no pet skins (easy for an arena expansion! Think of Gladiator - those tigers!) lol!
  • no warpaint (those awesome banner designs, put that on my body bro - now!) lol!
  • no placeables (well… to be fair - what goes in an arena?)

Usually we get 2 out of the three above, and got = 0
So as a person who bought the pass trusting the same type of content (and Im NOT PVP, Im single-player) - where is my role playing…

• It would have been excellent (and expected) that the new building pieces now be in Khitan style, etc.
    (Man can you imagine!!!)
    Perhaps doing this was tricky, as they have to give free content to those with the other DLCs and the one with this new one wouldn’t get the full benefit (I get it, but do what actually works…new pieces across the board and the style is - what its always been, a style in the DLC to existing pieces.)

I like it can feel like my basement home in Skyrim… though the ceiling arches were low in the basement… hope that can be worked around - though not sure why it didn’t already show it.

Looking forward to the Sorcery pack with Dekerto when we get some wicked sorcery building pieces!
(oh yeah!)

I see. So your concern is that even if you choose a particular race, you can break immersion by making that character look like someone from another race. I agree, that bothers me a little, too. But being able to pick a race doesn’t take away anything. For those people to whom it matters, the option to play a Cimmerian or a Zamorian still exists.

For example, my current character is a Zamorian. Even though I play Solo, that choice matters. It gives me a better idea of how the character would talk, how she interacts with others, etc. If I had made a Cimmerian character, my choice of weapons and my approach to e.g. combat would be different.

To support this kind of play, race selection should have an effect on our characters’ appearance, voice, etc., while still giving us the option to play the game as we want. Stat bonuses based on race tend to funnel player choices towards their preferred playstyle, rather than their preferred races, which is why I’d rather have the race only as a cosmetic option. I do agree with you that it’d be cool if the race selection actually gave us a better variety of cosmetic options based on the race we choose, rather than just set those universal sliders starting points to a different spot.

But the fact that you can choose your race can still guide those who want to follow the lore, even if it doesn’t prevent people who don’t give a damn about the lore from breaking it.

One reason why I’d rather not have any game effects tied to one’s race is Conan himself. He was a thief, a mercenary, a scout, a pirate, a tribal chieftain, a con artist, a general and eventually a king. That’s a lot of breaking the stereotypical Cimmerian - especially considering that he’s the only Cimmerian we see in Howard’s stories, so where did that stereotype even come from?

Replace “Race” by “Culture” and all problems evaporate. Cultures are not bound by race, especialy in in Conan’s universe. Being an Aquilonian (Culture) of Zamorean ancestry (Race) is a thing in Conan’s world.

Just remember that no DLCs will have enhancements above and beyond the core Game’s enhancements. FunCom have never included any content like that to only DLC. All enhancements are to the whole game for all players. All DLC offer reskins of build and weapon and armour only. This is to keep things fully fair. At no stage do FunCom ‘force’ players to buy DLC as that is unethical.
(I look forward to any corrections from FunCom if what I’ve said is wrong) :slight_smile: @Tascha

1 Like

Indeed civilizations in Conan are more represented by a culture than by a race. The blood mixes between civilizations and I see no problem that the physical characteristics of the character are not limited by his culture.

On the other hand, it is true that each civilization should have advantages or disadvantages. We know that some civilizations are more comfortable with the handling of this or that weapon, the use of a shield, the wearing of certain types of armor … One can also imagine that the geography of their native land can influence their ability to survive, to withstand certain temperatures, to climb, to swim etc … I think that the choice of culture should have a more significant impact on the character.

And sorry for my bad english.

1 Like

You have, apparently, not understood what I said - and taken it out of context.
1: To be clear - I was not asking for the DLCs to be anything other than what we already received.

2: Never hinted that they ‘forced’ players to buy DLCs

My apologies for communicating so poorly… I will try to summarize my point:
1: Love the new building pieces in the Blood and Sand DLC.
1b: Would love to see these new pieces implemented in all the DLCs already released.
(of course using the style of the given DLC)

• What I was saying is: This would be hard to do for them from a marketing perspective.
    @Tascha
    It was a unique breakaway from all the other traditional DLCs to have new building pieces just in this pack, and to go back - implementing these in the various styles of the other DLCs is probably beyond the scope of what they can do. (marketing wise - still not explaining myself clearly) :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope that clears things up @Grymm

Thanks @Dhaylen, quite right.
This particular DLC is slightly unique in that it is a support for the new Battle Standards and localised PvP. The Armour pieces are from the Age of Conan and have been requested before so it’s an easy win in that regard. I do look forward to seeing something new for the whole game in content such as new animals or peoples or possibly even a city.

One of the bigger issues is that there are a Lot of players that are not able to get the DLCs. They may be from countries that Conan content is very expensive compared to the £/$/€ so it is only the Core game that has any real meaning. I have seen players just get tired of things not being mixed up in the Core game. We have a couple more planned DLCs and hopefully a couple more patch updates that add more variability and content. There’s not much room on the overall map for added cities. The ‘blank’ areas of the map are flagged for use (dungeons, etc) and there is currently a clear, technical limit to expanding the actual, overall map.