Breaking bonds should not delete creatures/npcs

This is a pretty lazy system and also causes a net loss to world creatures.
When I want to break bond, it should be liking releasing a creature back to the wild, not delete them.

You could even go as far as to restrict where you can break bonds at, meaning it has to be in their habitat.

Also, when you delete something from the world without killing it, then in a natural sense the population has been fiddled with.

It is designed to release the pressure of server rendering the pet/thrall.

I guess they could have made it delete and place a wild version of the pet/thrall so you had to kill it (or someone else the opportunity to knock out the thrall).

Could even treat that instance of the npc/pet a temporary spawn that would be deleted on server restart.

My rebuttal to that is :

• The server already had to render the adolescent version.
  • NPCs respawn, even named ones which is highly silly.

In fact every time you enslave something, you are forcing the server to become more populated.

Correct, server options should be there to prune (duplicates, respawns within a certain time frame and radius to the player etc.)

I think breaking bonds should trigger a walking away animation, then the “deletion” could occur out of render distance.

It would be less jarring than having the Pet / Thrall vanish to thin air.

3 Likes

That solves the visual aspect though not the mechanics.
I again refer to my input output comments.

It would be like having a baby, raising it, then vanishing them from existence. That’s worse than killing, as at least a dead body returns something to the Earth/soil.

I don’t understand, what you mean.
This is a game, it only simulates an ecosystem.

This is a multi player game, It needs to accommodate more than one person, I would not be happy if I waited hours or days for Dalinsia Snowhunter, only to find the sprite would never spawn because someone else had captured it, that would be silly.

When you capture a thrall, or a juvenile pet, the NPC that comes out of the wheel or from the pen, is a brand new NPC, the sprite you placed in the device is deleted.

The entire purpose of “breaking bond” is to reduce the number of NPC’s in the game.

I’m not sure if this is someone trying to roleplay on the forums, or someone who lacks fundamental understanding on how (multiplayer) videogames work.

Brian is this you?

2 Likes

Nah, it is someone who wants to break bond, then re-capture, then break again on the wheel of pain, then keep it on a chest
 he could just ask for a way to get them as an item again, instead of all this convoluted shenanigans

@droch-aon

This is a multi player game, It needs to accommodate more than one person, I would not be happy if I waited hours or days for Dalinsia Snowhunter, only to find the sprite would never spawn because someone else had captured it, that would be silly."

Right! It is a multi-player game and in those games we have things called a R A R E mob.
Um, ever heard of an MMORPG? And don’t say Conan isn’t mean to be one, with how fast the respawn times are, the way they’ve setup the system and other mechanics - it’s quite clear they took some ideas from their own MMO franchise and IPs.

It’s certainly less survival than it is RPG.

“When you capture a thrall, or a juvenile pet, the NPC that comes out of the wheel or from the pen, is a brand new NPC, the sprite you placed in the device is deleted.”

And? That works fine, what is your point.

“The entire purpose of “breaking bond” is to reduce the number of NPC’s in the game.”
Says who?
Why even call it “breaking bond” why not just “remove character?”

Because that’s what, jarring? So is pressing “breaking bond” and watching something vanish in thin air.

Defend it all you want, it’s a poorly implemented feature.

“Nah, it is someone who wants to break bond, then re-capture, then break again on the wheel of pain, then keep it on a chest
 he could just ask for a way to get them as an item again, instead of all this convoluted shenanigans”

Think you didn’t read or projected your own view there. No one said anything like that.

I’m not “defending” anything. I also think the game could do this better.

Because it is an attempt at being “immersive” for the role play aspect.

I agree, however “rare” is not what you describe here.

I was never in opposition to your point.
I didn’t understand all of your point when you said this

This statement gives the impression you don’t understand how games in general work.

So explain it to me? do you want the released NPC to just stay in the area?

What action do you want to happen? What would be the point of the action, if not to reduce the thrall count in the game?

One last thing, I said breaking bond was to reduce the number of NPC’s you replied “Say’s Who?”
Funcom that’s who, they are implementing thrall limits, break bond is so people can choose which thralls to keep. it’s in the game notes and mentioned in the Dev streams.

It is not lazy, it is not a net loss. It is exactly how it should be. You are getting rid of your thrall and as such it should no longer exist. Remove your items from it before doing so and get rid or it to reduce server load and move along.

2 Likes

If this was your goal, I could at least understand on a gameplay level, but even after re-reading your arguments a few times now, I’m at a loss to figure out what your end goal is. It sounds like you want this to be more of a roleplay-based function than merely a tool by which players can delete followers to bring their numbers in-line with follower limits.

If that’s what you’re after, though, then no one is stopping you from taking a pet tiger out to the savannah and breaking bonds there. Likewise, as jarring as it is to see the pet immediately vanish, no one is stopping you from imagining it ran free while your back was turned.

Also, your comment about bodies returning to the soil makes no sense in this context. After you place KO’d thrall on a wheel or kill them, the respawn timer for that spawn point begins counting down. The spawn points of captured thralls and animals don’t become in-active when they are captured, if they did, servers would be devoid of NPCs and wildlife after a while.

If your point is that you want a corpse to harvest, well
 you could always “break bonds” the old fashioned way by stripping the target of all weapons and armor, and introducing them to the local world boss. Personally though, I like that the implementation they went with leaves some room for imagination, though perhaps I’d have had the screen fade to black and back to signify time passing.

I have not did extensive testing in this, though I noticed the respawn time is based on the NPCs death or when the NPC is put on the wheel.

The NPC spawn point is still being used when an NPC is simply knocked out.

2 Likes

You’re exactly right. That’s what I get for typing before coffee. I’ll go correct my statement, thanks!

1 Like

Well all i can say about it is that before this release - break bond system, i was using the great crocodile boss to kill them, because on the other hand i would have to kill them my self. So after this fight i was collecting the carcass of every animal. The point of my statement here is that if you want your pet to have an honorable death there is a way. After all is a barbarick game. So i agree with your statement ‘move on’. It’s simple and truly :+1:

1 Like

HAHA feeding them to the great and powerful crocodile god! LOVE IT!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.