The recent forum pole combined with the dying PVP servers.
The other issue with Conan is the grandpas that want people off their lawns.
There is nothing in the post or idea presented for a more combative server that say change core mechanics. Instead, adjust certain data stats for THAT SERVER to drive it for more combativie, casual play. WE are not trying to make more no build zones, change how anything interacts on an AI level, change weapon or armor stats. We are saying have official settings on a few servers that try and steer away the current people who mainly build and hoard, and play all day. Which in turns make the game not fun for someone who can play sparingly, but wants a pvp experience, because that is fun to them. Why is that a problem? You don’t have to log into the server. This would be an official server that is for people who aren’t playing anymore, or have never tried the game. They would, if they didn’t have to worry that they will be resource beat down by all day players, or the map is a sandstone land claim shtthole, like 80% of Official PVP servers on PS4.
If you want more players, there are simple settings that Funcom can easily implement and it would allure more players. Especially part time casual players.
You understand. Nice!
Not about what people like or what I like. It’s about bringing more players from business perspectives. And also more players means more content and more funding for those PVE people.
The top ten list, doesn’t show that Funcom operating in a niche market, isn’t profitable.
Also, which poll? If it’s the one I’m thinking of, I wouldn’t say that was a true representation of the entire community.
FC already attempted to implement the model you are suggesting. People didn’t want it. Those that do, can join a private server. I can not explain it more than that. (Well I could, but I’m not going to.)![]()
Business is not as easy as you think. What is the cost of acquiring those extra customers? Is that cost going to see a return?
Unfortunately, it’s just not as simple as implementing new server settings.
As I said, I’m not opposed to your idea, but more so the “official” implementation of it.
I don’t see anything you have suggested that can’t be accomplished by joining a private server.
Other than experience with privates is they “disappear”, are ran by groups that end up using them to stream all the while adminning in everything to look better than what they are. Most Privates are RP. Believe it or not, not everyone is into that style. Shocking I know. Some people want some of the intensity of what PVP officials are, without the over board wiping, hoarding, and building. That is why i advent for 1x harvesting, 10 x exp, and some sort of offline protection mechanic, as well as keeping armor and weapons to allow for you to stay in the fight so to speak. All game mechanics that exist btw without changing anything but a slider (Offlline protection the only unicorn issue). Some people work 12 hours a day, but enjoy the game when they do get on.
And you are talking about blitz servers. In EA. EA where a majority of non casuals would not have participated. The game was not marketed at that time. I only found out 2 days before release about it, and i am slightly above Casual. What he is proposing is maybe revisiting to get more player in, to possibly buy more DLC (the armors are worth them alone in combat), and possibly grow the community.
And i love when people use the cry laughing emote. Shows me their maturity. Means i am getting to them, and it scares them that someone has ideas that aren’t necessarily self centered like them.
That is true of some servers, not all. You seem to generalize a lot.
The RP community is large in CE. I am a PvP player. So yes, I am aware not everyone is into RP.
I don’t disagree with that, but your position that somehow just by changing some server settings, CE can suddenly compete with the top 10, and have a huge influx of players, it’s simply ludicrous.
The fact is, your vision is not the same as everyone else, nor is it supported by funcom.
"The Company carefully considers what niches to compete in, and seeks niches that are too small for the largest industry players to focus on, and too difficult for small indie companies to compete in. "
Taken from FC annual report 2018.
Yes, no marketing at all…
I am talking about blitz, this was market research. The lack of interest showed FC (& us) that the majority of its potential customers, didn’t want a faster paced, PvP focused server.
(Trigger warning) ![]()
Everyone of those adds were on places mostly hardcore gamers go. There was no marketing on TV as well as to the general audience (hell even in the gamestop stores would have been nice), as well as none for PS4 version. Even the game stop employee was thrown for a loop when she realized it was coming out in three days when i asked about it ( i was going in to reserve RDR2 at the time). Why you seem so hell bent on not getting more players perplexes me. Not once in any idea posted by me or the OP have we stated get rid of things. We just want more stable officials that offer what some privates do. the fact you really don;t want new players makes me think you want the game to fail. You have never answered why more possible DLC buys is a bad thing? Almost all of your reasons are self centered, fear of things that may or may not happen. By the way, Funcom is paying for a lot of dead server on PS4. I did a once over of american servers all types, official. About 1/4 were 0 players, about 80% were 10 or less players And a whole 10-15 (not %, but actual servers) had more than 20. But they aren’t paying for dead server in your eyes. Maybe if you quit closing them in your emoji you could see that.
You said the game was not marketed before EA. I again prove your statement is wrong, but you can’t seem to accept that most of your points are completely false.
Every time I prove your statements to be incorrect, you jump to the next thing, and don’t correct your inaccuracies.
I have tried to explain that running a business is not as easy as you think it is!
If acquiring new customers was as easy as moving a few sliders on server settings, FC would have done it long ago.
I would never want any company to fail!
People’s lives, and families are reliant on FC.
I help people here, that is all.
You, and the OP were making very bold statements.
Hence why I asked for your sources, maybe you had them, I didn’t know.
The reality is, you don’t have any sources. You just make general statements, entirely based on your own opinion.
It’s not. I explained the cost of customer acquisition, and why that was important in making decisions.
Your position that; If FC add new servers, CE gets new users. Unfortunately, it’s just not how the real world works.
Also I included a statement from FC discussing the direction, and vision they have going forward, and it doesn’t align with what you, and OP are suggesting.
Believe me, a slight alteration to servers in CE, certainly isn’t anything I fear.
All I have done is respond to your false, and derogatory statements.
FC, and G-portal are in partnership. That partnership, by it’s very definition, is mutually beneficial.
Again, where is your proof, that the official servers are presenting FC with a cost, or loss?
I have been very objective in my approach to this subject.
You have expressed your feelings, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Except; Facts don’t care about your feelings!
"During the first day of launch, the sheer amount of demand for official servers compared to demand for private servers exceeded our expectations and we reacted as fast as we could to find solutions. Since then we have almost doubled the total number of servers and we are working with our hosting partner to bring up even more servers as fast as possible.
Unfortunately, it’s been impossible for us to bring up new servers fast enough to meet the overwhelming demand"
That’s the only statement I recall.
Obviously, it says they were working with G-portal to provide a solution.
Not restricted financially, but logistically.
However, feel free to show me something to the contrary.
P.s. Nothing in life is free.
I’m not saying there is no cost, just that @WhatMightHaveBeen has no proof that there is.
P.p.s. I thought you were on my side!!
Was it this conversation perhaps?
https://forums.funcom.com/t/need-bigger-servers-not-more/9593/6
If so, I don’t really think it is that informative, in terms of the actual cost to FC. I do appreciate your input though.
I know, I was just joking. I apologise for my sardonicism.