Cold Feet! How long this time?

The new Egypt story distinctly felt tacked on rather than coherent to me. And missing any payoff.

1 Like

It’s not just the Dead Drop is hard to find, it’s meaningless.

‘Harder’ doesn’t neccesarily mean ‘better’ though.
I came close to quitting out of frustration many times in TSW.
And apologies to the ‘Git gud’ crowd, but to me, that’s not a sign of an enjoyable experience.

2 Likes

Yes? My argument is that it’s not significantly harder if you understand the basic mechanics. I can see by saying “essentially no harder”, I’ve left myself open to you proving that mobs in TSW had 7% more health or something therefore “TSW was actually Dark Souls and SWL is The Sims, QED” but whatever, you have fun with that. :v:

I did a death march thru that game until Transylvania before switching builds became more of a good idea! Enjoyed the game immensely - but yeah - getting the wheel down, the synergies, the NPCs with what felt like dramatically different reactions to builds. I would say it was much harder than SWL. Even the pass they made in TSW that nerfed it to make it easier, it still was harder than SWL.

TSW had far more depth, and in that depth came a difficulty in understanding it.

Mechanically, the combat is arguably more difficult in SWL due to the terrible targeting, but that varies by weapon choice and role I believe, and is much more of an artificial difficulty. However, Ignoring that, the SWL combat is easier in every respect. With no AEGIS, a lack of complex dungeon mechanics, simplified scenarios, simplified gearing, and build complexity out the window, it isn’t at all as difficult as TSW.

Until you try to single out a specific target out of a group of four and the game insists you’re targeting not the mob you have your reticle on dead center.

3 Likes

I personally learnt to appreciate having this small of an issue rarely over constantly having to have my mouse right click pushed down just to be able to turn around flawlessly (old tab targeting). I take the lack of precision in targeting a mob in a group as an actual part of gameplay (and it kind of makes sense as well from immersion pov). Can see the targeting be a bit wacky depending on the hitboxes of mobs though, but well… I personally find that the reticle combat is the best thing to have ever happened to this game.

I believe a large part of it has to do with 1s cast times, and keeping something targeted for that time while its moving all around, as well as the disconnect between pressing the button and when the ability actually fires. There is an inconsistency there that doesn’t make a lot of sense, but definitely interferes with the game. Hit boxes are also a severe issue with certain types of enemies. Then of course there is the requirement to be facing something to know what its casting. You’re even just forced to generally look up higher than in TSW which makes seeing ground AOEs harder.

For me there is no question, the reticle targeting adds nothing but frustration.

There are at least 2 mods which deal with this: you can create a Cast Bar with tracking enabled in EffectsUI, or you can use another cast bar mod (forgot the name) which also features tracking.

Hum i’m not forced to do this at all, what are you talking about?

In my experience, trying to get a bead on when the Primordial Dweller becomes active again requires a very high camera angle to see its HP bar in E1-4. It doesn’t have one past that, instead one has to watch it carefully for movement.

To get a red circle to show up on Melothat requires a high camera angle too, which some people might need for simple AoE targetting or to better judge melee range.

I’m not thinking of any other specifics.

1 Like

Keyless week taught me that all the world bosses have this kind of problem to some extent. Aiming the reticle low to better see casts can completely lose the target. Particularly bad on Megacrab at long range for some reason I absolutely couldn’t figure out.

I noticed this back on winter event with Super-Hel. Being so tall, if I aimed the reticle anywhere below her knee I tended to lose target.

The reticle seems to actually be based on a physical point in the world a foot or so in front of your character rather than whatever is actually under the on-screen crosshairs. You can notice this if you stand too close to the bathroom door in The Black House (for example), you’ll lose the ability to target it. I assume it’s an engine limitation or something.

I played TSW until Tokyo and quit because of the aegis system. I agree that TSW was harder than SWL, but I much prefer SWL.

If I’m playing a superagent, I want to feel super. TSW made me feel like an ordinary bloke with a taser sword and the weird ability to resurrect, clothes and all. <–That’s a superpower, sure, but “dying over and over” or “reincarnation on steroids” isn’t a compelling concept for a superhero. What sort of code name would I have, “Failure-Man?” “Falls-Over Guy?” “Zerg Boy?”

If I’m overpowered in SWL that’s great. What, the bees are gonna make me only slightly souped up against indescribable horrors? Don’t they want me to succeed? “Thanks, but I’ll go back to being super-barista-guy until you get around to that bee upgrade.”