Dear developers. Hostages

No. Nope. Nope. No. No! NO!

1 Like

In this case, why not, more parametrables rules is good. but, in my opinion, a rule like this have to be off by default and in official servers. (i hope teleportations will be a server option like they said before, too)

Agreed. I think it could be turned on for like PVP Mayhem Official, but then turned off for the rest? Theyā€™ve already got time windows for raiding on official servers, so I donā€™t see why they couldnā€™t have teleportation, and capturing as something that can be switched on or off.

about tĆ©lĆ©portation, I didnā€™t speak for official servers, only the possibility to disable this in server option (for private servers), they said it will be an option, it is not yet disable in test live. (but itā€™s juste a test live, and this new feature have to be tested by players, maybe option will come later)

1 Like

Only thing I can say is have the option to turn it on and off for private servers and have very limited officials with it enabledā€¦if it gets popular then add more if not get rid of it like they did with blitzā€¦all sounds good on paperā€¦I would try itā€¦but itā€™s only going to be for the hardcore.

Itā€™s a good idea if you add the possibility for a player to escape from captivity. Why did the cells add to the game? They are needed for something.
I do not agree with the players who complain about the bad experience with this feature. They say that this is not fun. This is brutal the world of Conan. :slightly_smiling_face: A player can kill npc and make them into slaves. Itā€™s fun for them. If they are taken prisoner by another player, this is not fun?
I think that the function can be added, if only for time (5-20 min) and if the player will be able to escape. It would be nice if it was for specific purposes. For sacrifice to the gods for example. In the video there was a scene with a snakeā€¦ :snake:
Also, I would add the ability of npc to grab players and put them in cages. But this is only dreams. :sneezing_face:

2 Likes

Heh, whatā€™s fun for some is horrible for others. Knowing all the minigames Iā€™ve played over time to escape the inescapable, this actually sounds like fun. Buffs could be added to reduce our unconscious phase, increasing oneā€™s ability to escape. Since we can grab onto terrain, after we free our hands we should be able to hold on with such resistance as to break the binding, or reduce its durability such that it eventually breaks.

Spitballing only: One ruleset that would be necessary would be injury during dragging. If they drag you too far, over drops or through water, you will die and theyā€™ll just get a corpse. To re-set this, they need to temporarily set you free so you can heal. Great escape opportunity. If they make it back to the wheel with you and youā€™re trained, you become a Unique.

I can see both sides of the argument. My motto is always ā€œnobody should tell you how to play,ā€ and no-escape enslavement violates this. So itā€™s important for people to bring up the unfun potential. I will however counter with a fun possibility: Iā€™ll be the Uber of The Hyborian Age. Will Drag For Gold!

2 Likes

Why bother the developers at all? Why keep pushing for the ā€˜hostageā€™ mechanic be part of the base game?

What is great about the open-world survival genre are the mod communities that enrich gameplay and focus on a diverse selection of mechanical systems and themes to support niche players and their preferred styles.

These ideas need to be given to a mod team that is enthusiastic about creating a ā€˜hostageā€™ mechanic, not the development team, who have stated publicly they are against having the system in base version of their game.

1 Like

I wonder if my suggestion would need its own thread or not, but Iā€™ll post it here anyways.

In PVP, there should be a consequence to every action, to every choice. Even inaction is still a choice ripe with consequence. Consequences could be good, bad, or mehā€¦ But they should still happen.

With this said, it is still a game. It should be fun for everyone playing. Sometimes bad consequences make the game fun on their own. For example when you die, you drop your stuff and you need to retrieve it to get it back. On its own, this isnā€™t fun. No one would willingly drop their stuff run away and back.

But as a consequence for dying, it changes the game for us. When I say game I donā€™t mean Conan Exiles the video game. But the concept within the video game. ā€˜The Gameā€™ is that if you take a risk, you can lose what you wager. In this case what you wager is whatever youā€™re carrying whenever you press your luck.

Adding an unconscious feature changes that game. Instead of dying and losing your stuff to your attacker, you can likely lose alot of time doing something relatively boring and at the end, still die and lose your stuff. That is adding another sting of consequence to an already high risk encounter.

Soā€¦ I may have a remedy. To make it fun for both, and challenging and risky.

So knocking someone out is relatively hard. Youā€™re using a Truncheon vs someone with a deadly weapon potentially. There should be a reward for that. And part of the reward I would think is you are allowed to loot the inventory (but not hotbar) of the person you knock out.

In addition you may drag them back for whatever reason. But this part will be a bit tricky. You get three tries. After that when you try to knock the person out, they begin bleeding out. The person being knocked out can use any healing item or food to stop the bleeding themselves. If they choose to.

So what about the 3 timesā€¦ default knock out is 10 minutes right? Thatā€™s 30 minutesā€¦ Noā€¦ it would not be. Default knock out for a player would be 20 seconds (adjusted by server settings). So you get a minute to get the person to where you are going. So if youā€™re not close to a friendly base then there will be mostly no reason to do this.

Also the timer isnā€™t set at 20 seconds. It may break early at random. This is so the attacker taking the hostage isnā€™t able to predict when they wake up. When they do, it breaks the rope and they may runā€¦ or attack. Could even have a server setting for when they attack, it resets the number of times they may be knocked out in a given time frame before bleeding out.

Reason Iā€™m giving alot of server settings is to allow the RP servers alot of leeway when setting their hostage systems up. Theyā€™re likely to not abuse this mechanic as much as randoms on a official server. And being taken hostage in RP is more fun then simply getting griefed.

Iā€™m unsure whether or not to add a station that a hostage could be dragged to. Something that gives the whole effort a bit of purpose and use. Maybe for a resource or even a decoration (like a crucifixion) . In either case Iā€™d recommend a bleedout timer to kill the victim so they can respawn and go back to playing.

To put it shortly, dragging a hostage should be challenging, and risky for the attacker. And there should be a mechanic for the victim to just be able to die and respawn to save themselves time.

Sorry to say, but putting a player in a cage for an hour until the server kills them from not eating is just simply not going to happen. That shouldnā€™t even be requested.

2 Likes

Right.:expressionless: letā€™s not suggest anything. :zipper_mouth_face: Why bother the developer? :no_mouth:
Then no development in the ideas and the game will not be.
Of course, I doubt that many of the proposals of players will add to the game. The developer has his own vision of the game. Then in this case, discussions and suggestions on the forum are not needed.
This is a forum. The forum is necessary for discussions and suggestions. Will be or will not be any function, itā€™s not for us to decide. But to discuss the topic a possible.

1 Like

What if when you put a player in a cage, they have the same amount of time as a wheel would take to break a thrall to escape. If they do not, the captive becomes a captured thrall that then can be put on a wheel. The player ā€œdiesā€ and is sent back to spawn point.This could be an admin option that can be turned on and off for different server styles.

Is it really that much more frustrating and negative than having your base destroyed or getting ganked by 5 people?

I think that people who are objecting to a hostage system should examine this point more closely.

The capture system would be running parallel to the ganking, raiding, and killing that already exists in the game. If youā€™re for raiding, but against capturing, then there is a dilemma here. Itā€™s already possible (and frequent) to suppress a player for hours while a raid occurs. Killing them over and over again, as they try to prevent the raid. Once the raid is complete, then they are sometimes set back by days, or even weeks of play. Being captured for even an hour does not compare in the slightest.

The victim of a raid is already going to be having a bad time, if they canā€™t accept defeat. Taking them hostage will just be the ā€˜icing on the cakeā€™ of their defeat. Not only is your home torn from you, but you are now at the mercy of another clan. Some players arenā€™t mature enough to deal with both sides of PvP: victory and defeat. Roleplayers are more capable of this, because they separate themselves from their characters. PvPers have a tougher time, as they see their character as a direct representation of their abilities.

Iā€™d rather bind defeated enemies, than have to deal with them sprinting around siege camps naked, trying to steal boulders from trebuchets! Itā€™s ridiculous and annoying to have to fight against waves of nude saboteurs.

Iā€™m of the mind that the mechanic could work, and improve the gameā€™s PvP, so long as there is:

1. Damage taken from being dragged (Suggested by @Barnes)
  2. A heavily tiered time limit on being dragged, with the possibility to break your bindings sooner, or leave them on if you submit.
4 Likes

But how will it be fun? This is the NO.1 thing for implementation of any system in any game. Period. How will this be fun for the player? Yes, people can raid you and break your stuff on pvp servers and that could suck; but you donā€™t lose all control of your character for an indeterminate period of time in the process and you WOULD need to completely strip all control from the player to get people to go along with this.

1 Like

Honestely, for somebody, I have feeling you just want having best tool possible to ruin people experiences, your suggestion, itā€™s sound like vice. You want have power of destroy base player, take all he have (Iā€™m ok about that, itā€™s the game, battles are fun, even if you loose everything) but not enought, if you want prevnt him to play, itā€™s the bestā€¦

1 Like

i remember that devs wanted to add the castration of character player. :grimacing: if they add this it will be a bitter experience? I think that temporary capturing of player is better than castration.

1 Like

NO NO and NO
There is no dilemma there, liking pvp doesnā€™t mean I have to like the capturing system or all aspect related to pvp. If I like gaming does it mean I like all of the games out there? I like Conan Exiles does not mean I have to like ARK or Rust.

The important part is the griefing already potentially exists within mechanism present in the game. To me this brainstorming here and woolgathering there secondarily helps tease out a few truths seasoned players hold self-evident. Iā€™ll cover those next paragraph. To me this capture proposition is the simplest to counter, by simply removing the bracelet. One always respawns at a bed, so itā€™d be really easy to just say ā€œIā€™m outā€ if you donā€™t want to be hogtied.

@TwinCrows from his PVP experience is recounting something Iā€™ve never done or would even think of doing under raid. What heā€™s talking about amounts to griefing, honestly, because instead of fortifying their (with any luck) much-less-raidable home base, the enemy is flitting around like mosquitoes. Sheesh. Some people have no game. :smile:

2 Likes

In my opinion, this is only a decent idea from a role play perspective. And by that, I mean that the victim and the aggressor both want to continue to role play the capture event in its entirety. No locking up and leaving. Individuals with that level of commitment to and enjoyment of role playing such scenarios do not ā€œrequireā€ the mechanics and are a small percentage of the population, unfortunately.

As a general game mechanic, the only way I see such an idea having even a slight chance of success is if it were restricted to a single server where the possibility of capture is well known or as a consensual choice. When knocked unconscious, the victim receives a pop up message similar to the one that pops up for respawn location upon death on Testlive that asks the victim [Yes] or [No] to consent to capture.

1 Like

This issue is clearly too contentious, I donā€™t feel the developers will benefit from creating a hostage system.

Theyā€™re better off developing other mechanics that a wider audience will find more tasteful. Otherwise, theyā€™re just going to provide what one half of their playerbase wants, while upsetting another half. Thereā€™s no sense in dividing their fans. Weā€™ve heard it from @Scooper, theyā€™ve mulled it over and donā€™t believe itā€™s a good idea.

@Barnes Haha, yeah the player from that story was definitely a griefer. A terrible person to play againstā€¦ If thereā€™s anyone I would have loved to drag into a jail cell, never to escape, itā€™s that griefer. As soon as we figured out that he was trying to steal from our trebs, we put torches all up, but it wasnā€™t very fun (or easy) to have to cut them down while they were sprinting around like monkeys.

@drukuku There are a great many mechanics in the game that arenā€™t inherently ā€˜funā€™. But they propel the game forwards. Drinking, eating, encumbrance, stamina, all of these systems constrict and limit the player. Even the death mechanic serves a purpose, while not being ā€˜funā€™. PvP serves a purpose, even if it is essential that one side must win and another lose. Rather than making ā€˜funā€™ be the primary objective, Iā€™d say that making it ā€˜thrillingā€™ is more significant in todayā€™s era of survival games.

2 Likes

There are many server settings that donā€™t make it to official ones that still get used on private servers. I often see the loot kept on death in both pvp and pve servers, raid times restricted to certain hours on weekends and various other settings not available on official servers, so appeasing only half the players is kind of a null argument. I understand if the devs donā€™t make something like this (especially with how busy they have been and will be), but i sure hope someone makes a mod for it, as I really like the concept.