Decay Etiquette and Looting (PVE)

Hey Clan!

My concern is if my destruction of already decayed structures and items is potentially ruining someone’s Conan experience.
I play on an official server along side some very courteous individuals. Occasionally that’s not the case but regardless, people come and go and along with them their homes, supplies and thralls. I’m a bit of a scavenger of sorts, that I may swoop in by the time the decay timer starts and pick up their forgotten haul! Things like armour, decorative items and sometimes even DLC! Although I empty a base of most things I tend to leave their efforts of home making (set tables and cute patio gardens!) and I will always share my gains with others in my server! This is something I like to do; not only do I get to explore someone’s base but I get to open treasure box after treasure box!

I realised recently that the decay timer doesn’t always mean ‘dead and gone’ and sometimes players come back and in doing so, reset their base time (???). This has only happened on one occasion where I’ve emptied someone’s structure and then later found out they had made it juuust in time before the mass crumbling of hours of gameplay. There has been so many instances where it made sense not to waste what was going to be decayed anyway but after that, I wonder if I should stop entirely. I would hate to know I took advantage of someone’s time being away and for them to come back to an empty home. What do you think? Is it toxic? Sensible? Part of the game? I’d love to know! I want my being on the same server as others to be pleasant, friendly and helpful but if this does the opposite; I need to know. Thanks!

4 Likes

Some people just log in to refresh the decay timers, if they are inactive in the server they are just taking space and resources and they shouldn’t be allowed to do that, but asside of pvp servers, there is nothing that can stop them.

No matter how beutiful or big your base is, if you are not playing in that server anymore you shouldn’t refresh the timers, let other people play the game.

But, there are also those who couldn’t login for some reason, (vacations, work, health issues, etc.) sounds unfair to throw away their gametime just because they have a life outside the game, like everybody else.

For me, those who only come to refresh timers on multiple servers are on par with the exploiters, hackers, cheaters, etc.and there should be something to do against them, all of them.

1 Like

I didn’t consider that Cyryus! I suppose that’s true.
I’ve encountered a couple Clans who do this. If it weren’t for their structures sizes and popular locations, I don’t think it would bother anyone. The large pond in New Asagarth seems to have that sort of popularity. In the separate servers I play in, two different clans occupy that space and stubbornly will not leave and hardly play anymore. Although heaps of energy and time were dedicated to their homes, I suppose I understand? … I may or may not be standing outside with a repair hammer though…waiting… :laughing: hahaha!

You shouldn’t feel bad about it since it is part of the game.
Yes some may be sick, on vacation or something and just making it back before it actually would crumble, but mostly it will be people just being a little too late refreshing.
However personally I would love to see base loot disappear from pve servers, if a player leaves so should all their stuff, sometimes there are bases with just too much stuff, hundreds of chests full of resources for building, placeables and other stuff - No one really need so much stuff besides it also takes away from the fun of gathering + server performance would likely benefit from stuff disappearing once in a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also do a bit of scavenging. What I do is hold everything I loot in a vault or large crate and give it a day or two. If the person comes back I can give them what I saved from decay. If not, then I have no remorse about taking stuff that would have gone to waste.

4 Likes

I scavenged from a decayed base like once and I felt guilty about it afterwards.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying Frillen!

You’re right! I’ve seen huge structures collapse and turn into bags. MASSIVE! I sometimes think, “Who would need all that?!” and I then guess that their clan must have lots of people in it! I agree that collecting resources and special items is part of the fun and that diminishes if you happen upon it in the decay. But as someone who can’t afford DLC right now, it is an absolute RUSH to find some cute carpets and fancy oil lamps :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That’s a great idea about the safe Silver! I’ve never build them because most of my bases are small and I have no space but for this purpose it seems practical. I also really like the idea of being able to give them back their things that they could of potentially lost. That’s very thoughtful. It could be something I could put in practise. Thank you for your perspective, it was very helpful!

1 Like

I know Booger! I struggle! I feel the worst when the base is beautifully decorated and there’s thought and effort put into every corner. Dismantling a perfectly organised work space almost feels wrong. :pensive: :confounded:

The one I found had decayed to a bunch of bags on the ground, no way I could loot something that was still standing.

2 Likes

If you like the idea but don’t have the room, build it just outside their base. If you scavenge a lot it’ll also help you remember which items are from where.

1 Like

Is official servers allowing for decay scavenging?

When I first started, I enjoyed going hunting for decayed bases. I once found a decayed base that was fairly expansive. It was during the Halloween “month” event. That was a great haul…

1 Like

Oooh, yes Uznik!
I especially like being able to enter their home and look around! Seeing what kinds of things other players tend to keep is also interesting and exciting.

From my understanding I didn’t always have the option of picking up loot from decayed structures but maybe I just always assumed you couldn’t. I’m not really sure when they implemented it on official PVE servers (or if at all) but I enjoy it.

1 Like

Based on what I see in decayed bases, no one that plays this game has any sense of organization.

Or, that could be why they quit, could not keep themselves organized.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.