Empty chest appears "unlocked" after reset

Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvP
Region: EUROPE

Place multiples chests, lock all. put any stucks in one or two chests. After reset empty chest appears “open” and not locked.

1 Like

Hey there @Fastorro

Is this issue you’re reporting similar to the one that makes all doors forget their auto-close settings?

1 Like

Hey Fastorro, thank you for reporting this. I, too, have experienced this with iron chests.

Hey Ignasis - I do believe that these placed objects are potentially leveraging a common API. The fact that both are not appearing to remember their settings is suspicious. Especially since I believe that doors and their functions were recently touched.

@Barnes and I have discussed this - if the chest is empty, we are pretty sure that this object registers and renders from a different section in the database table (the table with empty items, no loot, segmented for more efficient memory usage and better performance). Things that are empty (nulls for storage) get reset to basic or default. Which would be no lock, and no auto-close disabled.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Cauthey, perhaps this adds to the list.

While running with a friend, he would open a loot box, empty it fully, partially or completely, and to me the loot box appeared open after he closed it. This is a visual effect only, since I was able to loot the box normally. When done, the box was closed on my screen.

Since it was only a visual thing, I ignored it, but finding your post made me think this behaviour may be connected.

Next time we run together I will ask him what appears for him, and repeat with the various permutations, reporting observations back here.

Private server, his computer, not coop.

Regards

jim

1 Like

I think your case is different. The loot chests in the wild, I would assume, operate on a separate mechanic / API than the iron chests and wooden boxes placable by the player. But, you never can tell.

For what it’s worth - I always fully loot any loot chests in the world. Not doing so will cause the server to “remember” the items that you did not take, and thus prevent the chest from resetting at the next interval.

2 Likes

Fully agree with paragraph one, and good point.

I’ve not found any wild chests that remember and prevent refilling, though. I partially loot all the time, but my experience is limited to solo and online private server, never official servers. What does happen to me is the preview, before opening the chest, shows what I left there last time, but opening the box refreshes the loot. This happens when I come back relatively soon, longer and the preview shows nothing.

Not sure what the difference is between your experience and mine, but both work for me, partial is just a tad quicker.

Regards

jim

1 Like

@Cauthey is a box-smasher. It’s part of his religion.

I always like to leave wild boxes with one piece at least, just to see the result. However, when you scrape a living like Cauthey every day PvP, every fleck of fiber counts. @Jim1, do you remember when this started happening, or have boxes in the wild always been reliable?

From user tickets on a private server now defunct, I am tracking a lot of this behavior to when we gained the ability to pick up chests and place them in other chests.

2 Likes

@Barnes, I, fortunately, have never experienced a non-refilling chest. Nor have I come across one with the lid up. I have found empty ones, but that was because I returned too soon. Again, solo and on-line private computer server.

Quite candidly, I do not remember ever putting chests inside chests, but I may have. The reasoning behind the confusion is I like minimilized bases and only craft chest when and where they are needed.

Let me ask guildies tonite and let you know here about their experiences.

Regards

jim

1 Like

@Barnes, I checked with the server owner and he has not experienced this bug, nor has he heard of anyone else having seen it. No way of knowing if anyone has put crates inside crates.

Want me to test it? I’m a bit leary of doing something irreversible to all on the server and would coordinate with the owner, but he may say no even if there is a workaround.

I am quite willing to do it on one of my old solo saves or start a new toon, but that only goes to local, on-computer server.

Regards

jim

What I was meaning is that we used to not have the ability to pick up boxes (chests/crates/cupboards) and put them back inside other boxes. In the interphase between then and now, at one recent point we could pick up full boxes and they would drop their loot as a sack. I was speaking chronologically, saying that this potential unlock toggle state can be traced more to the time period of when we first gained the ability to pick up and store our chests/boxes. :woman_mage:

Sure you can, place a crate in a chest, or a chest in a chest, but only empty ones of course.
This would be the OP scoop if we could fill them first. :joy:

But yes, i did it, with the wooden boxes especially, i’m kind of “oh we never know, could use it once”.
Now bigger stacks, and bit more slots are lovely, and avoid the clutter of chests. Even more if you use some mods for it.

Gotcha. Standing down until I have something to add :smile:

Regards

jim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.