Farewell Thieves!

Uhhhhhh what??? You must be joking right, talking about letting ppl upset on a PvP game because of stealing??? Really??? But killing is okay!!

Alright man, enough with the trolling, use the thread to have a serious discussion please.

That is 100% true! It really isnt hard to roam the map and take notes where everyone on the server lives, so Thieves aka “Greyfox” won’t never be a thing again in this game thanks for that addition on Event Log. But for Funcom is okay existing hackers and people who use glitches on the game as they don’t moderate the servers. Good call FC, let the loyal players who follow the game since day 1 down, and let most of those kids f*ck everyone’s experiences on Officials.

Lol, thieves all afraid that the people they robbed show up for payback time. I like it. Going to grab some popcorn.

1 Like

Mh…
I wouldnt say they are okay with hackers. Rather they are following that “innocent until proven guilty” thought… (Which itself is a good thing.)
And as only screens or rather videos exposing the cheater while he is cheating will serve as proof
Even a screen with the culprits saying they did spawn stuff in and can manipulate serversettings will be answered with that they are simply trying to intimidate the player who is reporting them.
I kind of hope Funcom has yet grown wiser due to that incident. And I hope someone is working on how those hackers could do what they did, even though a certain someone claimed there is no admin panel and thus it couldnt be used to spawn stuff in.
But rather than those hackers being a problem, I think it’s a far bigger issue if reports arent taken seriously.

It was told in really a ton of games from developer+publisher side:
“It’s not possible to hack our game/server.”

Same thing for any and every release I experienced. Every single time:
“We didnt anticipate those masses to start playing on release.”

I’m growing tired of these statements. (Though I still dont get used to them; I still want to punch something.)
Thing is: People have hacked since there was something to hack. And they will continue to do so.

You are acting as if thieves are the ones at fault for the owners to set up gifts at windows… :wink:
Whenever something breaks or gets lost because of the owner not paying attention, its the owner who is at fault. Hopefully this situation will teach them to pay more attention.
Also if you believe it or not… Stealing might be used to frame someone and thus having two clans go into war with each other. :smiling_imp:

The real problem, is players not having a form to report in-game people using hacks or glitches, not everyone is ready with a program to get those on video, so, having no kind of moderation at all in their official servers, leave players too vulnerable for bad experiences, I had this conversation with some people that work with game design, and they said that Funcom would take this more seriously if the game had montly subscription, but then again, thats not entirely true, GW2 for exemple, doesnt have a montly subscription, even its core game is free, and yet, they have an ablosute terrific quality management in their servers.

1 Like

Imo: Event log has become a testlive tool on live because FC cant get a grip on the bugs fast enough as they want/need, they need to get more info and testlive is to low pop i presume.

That is what it is imo.

That’s oke if it resolves bugs, but just say so and try to get rid of the identifying info between players somehow thats an effect you cannot push in players faces.

1 Like

I sympathize Caco, I really do.

The problem as I see it is that, though it’s now been a year and a half since EA release the game still feels “wobbly” and no-one is ever really sure that something going missing (or dying/being destroyed) was actually supposed to happen that way.

Problem: Lots of Bug Reports are filed, and it’s functionally impossible to know which are bugs and which are not. The intended Game Mechanics are often not widely understood by the players, and what’s worse they’re known to be faulty.

Solution: The Event Log is expanded to include much more information, to help differentiate between bugs and (unfortunate but intended) in-game happenings (such as someone nicking your valuables in the night!).

Unfortunate side-effect: The event log now contains so much information it destroys a (valid and enjoyable, to some) gameplay path: That of the sneak-thief.

Stealing is absolutely a perfectly acceptable thing to do in this game - it’s only possible on PVP servers in the first place, so people know (or should know) what they sign up for. It’s not enjoyable to me, but hell - that’s one of the reasons I chose another server. And of course it’s very lore-friendly!

The expanded Event Log should, in an ideal world, only exist on the TestLive builds: As a diagnostic tool, it’s very useful, and I do understand why they implemented it: There’s some very nasty bugs going 'round at the moment, and fixing them is paramount. Hopefully when (or IF) the game becomes more stable, the event log can be pared back a little bit - there has been some good suggestions in this thread about how this particular case could be solved.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing your vision about this Mikey, I agree with every word you said, I just wish they could plan and think better when implementing these decisions so it doesnt affect the gameplay of choice for a portion of the playerbase, this way helping solve the current issues and still preserving the gamefield.

I can only hope, when they finally manage to get the game and the official servers working in a pleasant state, tweak the Event Log so it pleases every type of gameplay into a way that can be fun for everyone yet fitting the survival aspect.

I have to agree with the OP that it is not necessary for the event log to give an account for everything that has happened to you or your clan. Sure I can understand the reason behind informing you who has attacked and destroyed your base. I suppose this actively encourages people to get in to pvp battles or wars across the server.

But reporting the names of people who may have taken something from an unlocked box or unprotected work station is a bit ridiculous. Depending on your play style and whether your role playing, being sneaky and taking advantage of opportunities to steal some items whether high value or not is kind of part of the game. I have played like a nomad before scavenging across the lands taking each encounter as it comes. I think the whole log of activities is a step too far.

If it really must be reported in the event log, then just say something items looted by exile player.

Could they simply just mask the details to players that would state:

Player_< masked> took Unsavory Fish from fish trap

?? Wouldn’t that solve the problem of our newfound Exiled Lands surveillance cams? If the detail is necessary for admins or QA troubleshooting, allow someone who is admin to not be affected by the name masking, and allow them to emulate the victim players.

1 Like

Me and two others started anew on one of those less than dozen active (and super laggy EU PvP) servers.
(Not) Nice to see that thralls are still bugged. (playerowned)

Took a peek at eventlog and I guess it works best for soloplayers. So soloplayers are probably those who benefit the most of the new event log. Larger guilds will be spammed with their own actions, so I guess it’s more likely to have them oversee a thief or two. But still. There being names is a bad thing. Only if the thief builds below the map he cant be found I guess…

1 Like

event log is good, now everyone knows if it was a bug or player/decay that made ur items vanish.

keep up the good work funcom

Yeah, its good for lazy devs use it as a bandaid since they don’t want to properly work and find out why those bugs happens. :+1:

I think that’s a little unfair, people have been clamoring for a better event log for a long time. Granted, they might’ve gone a wee bit overboard with it, but improvements (including an improved UI that properly parses it) is supposedly coming soon™. It’d probably be trivial to have that UI not show the names of thieving players, even if the raw event log (which I believe is what we’re seeing now, more or less) does include the information.

2 Likes

Sadly they always go way overboard

One might argue that. I’m not going to argue against it, anyway. I’m just saying, from a developers point of view having the raw data include all the information is not necessarily a bad thing*.

Releasing it before the UI that goes with it is ready, and thus showing the data more or less unparsed - that might be a problem.

Ideally those two (datastream and UI) should go out together, certainly in an environment where you’re able to control client version** and simply deny access to old clients: CE is such an environment. I’ve worked on cases where we had to support older clients, but still implement both new server-side capabilities AND the updated clients to go with them, which was sometimes a serious pain, particularly when the old clients also needed to get as many of the new features as their age allowed.

*Granted, it’s a potential security risk, but we’re not talking critical information here, it’s just a game at the end of the day and very different rules to handling, say, credit card information or bank transactions.

** Funcom was forced to deploy hotfixes, which might’ve thrown their schedule

Listen to him! No need for names in the log, an anonymous “player” should really be enough.

1 Like

I would love to like the new event log, if only it would not have been rushed, not tested, not polished and buggy. In line with everything else that is released by Funcom, at least they are consistent in releasing rushed buggy stuff.

A better event log is ok, having more information is really helpful, but that doesnt justify the fact that devs seems to not know how to deal on whats happening.

I may have been a bit rude saying that they “dont want” to work calling them lazy, kinda unfair I confess, I should rephrase thar they just can’t find a way to solve that technically, either way, leaving that for the event log to “do the job” is not really the most efficient way in my vision, CE is a complex game, but those MMO’s out there are aswell and they dont have 1/3 the problems CE has.

Don’t get me wrong, I dont want to throw rocks at FC, but its past 5 months post release, the game should be in a way better state, I know they’re a small team and all, I just don’t get all this delay in the development, really poor management, horrible servers, it seems just “lazy” and non professional work for me, its a shame, because there are talented people on there, and the game is a raw diamond that could be number 1 and very popular.

1 Like

Exactly!