Fatal Error crashes - Feedback thread

pretty much any modded server I try, I get a fatal crash. Sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes, other times it’s near instant. I have put 400hrs into the game in the last few months without an issue and all of a sudden it won’t run. It’s crashed when trying to use an item in my hotbar, but also when just standing there doing nothing at all, or when just running somewhere. This has only started happening in the last 3-4 weeks - I had no problem playing prior to that at all.

Hello, update on the error. Since I play in a heavy modded server, I decided to try exit to main menu from different places. When I am near a base, building or that, I get the same GarbageCollector error everytime, so I thought it might be related to the items in the mods or something. So I decided to try and find an unbuilt spot with no bases around, and the error still occurs. Just thought could be of help. @Ignasi.

Heyo’s,
I uninstalled and reinstalled Conan Exiles today (including the steam user folder and AppData folder) and am still receiving this fatal error message. This is a copy of my local saved log.

[2019.09.14-23.22.09:728][761]LogWindows:Error: === Critical error: ===
[2019.09.14-23.22.09:728][761]LogWindows:Error:
[2019.09.14-23.22.09:728][761]LogWindows:Error: Fatal error: [File:C:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 959]
[2019.09.14-23.22.09:728][761]LogWindows:Error: GameThread timed out waiting for RenderThread after 60.00 secs
[2019.09.14-23.22.09:728][761]LogWindows:Error: !0x0000000000000000
[2019.09.14-23.22.09:760][761]LogExit: Executing StaticShutdownAfterError
[2019.09.14-23.22.09:941][761]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
[2019.09.14-23.22.09:941][761]Log file closed, 09/14/19 16:22:09

Hey @Fasha

Just in case again, do you have any mods installed?

Hi Guys

I have new “Fatal Errors” to report:

• when starting the game (with or without Battle Eye), third attempt finally starts the game
  • harvesting a bear in the northern area (near Freya)
  • when i try to use the mass-delete, i get an error message every now and then

Our server still has no mods :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the information @Rhiannon.

1 Like

Is there any information as to the current state of affairs regarding fatal errors and the “holes in the ground”-bug?
The problems still exist!

Update:

• Mass delete still does not work
  • Fatal Error while starting the game or connecting to the Server (no Mods installed)
  • Fatal Error while harvesting a bear or else near Freyas Hut
  • massive lag and sometimes a Fatal Error near bases with more than 5000 components (graphic settings have all been tested)

Our server is still without Mods.

1 Like

Not sure if the right place, but also getting a fatal error:

Fatal Error:
[File:C:\UE4\CSAND\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11\Util.cpp]
[Line: 181]
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - ‘HUNG’)

This is happening a lot in my base. It seems to be getting worse and worse. I can be doing anything and it happens. There’s no consistent interaction or sound.

The game screen locks, goes silent, then the music starts up again. I have to ctrl-alt-delete and open task manager in order to view the error message, close it, and then send the crash report via the funcom tool.

This is crazily frustrating. I already tried something that involved messing with the TdrDelay in the registry that was suggested in a UE4 post, but it didn’t seem to help.

I love this game, but I’m at wit’s end :frowning:

1 Like

Follow up for my complaint:

I realized I was indeed using mods and tried to whittle them down to isolate.

After unsubscribing from Conan Sexiles (don’t look at me like that! >.>) my crash has not (yet) resurfaced… I will do more play testing and see if this happens again.

Good news is completely vanilla I was able to play for 3 hours without a crash. Although amusingly there was a fatal error on closing the game (can live with that, though). I didn’t have any codes or anything to report for that though, it just said “fatal error” with no details provided.

So pretty sure my complaint above is mod related.

1 Like

Update to my update… heh

My problem does seem to be mod related. It’s possible the bug (feature?) exists in the base game as well, but if it does, I have not encountered it.

HOWEVER… a player on my server suggested a possible fix and thus far it seems to be working…

The error I kept getting was d3d11rhi – my buddy had me add “-norhithread” (no quotes) to the Steam Launch Options (or command line on the .exe if you wish) for Conan Exiles.

So far that has worked… I will update if it fails later.

Apparently RHI and older DX11 cards (Radeon HD6970 2gb in my case) do not get along very well, and I guess it’s a thing with UE4.

So if, like me, you are having this problem… give the above solution a try and see if it works for you.

*note, it wasn’t just a sexiles problem, the crash persisted with other mods, but it looks like my card was just getting confused handling various mod-added assets.

1 Like

Hey @Rhiannon,
Apologies for the late response.
We’ll relay those instances you mentioned to our team so they can investigate. Also, please send the in-game crash report when prompted so our team can fetch it.

Hey @Kalanth,
Thanks for sharing your findings with us, they might be useful to other players in your same situation. Also glad to see you could find the culprit of your issues.

No judging!

1 Like

Hey @Ignasi
The “Fatal Error” messages are from the other players on the server. not mine. My only problem is the mass-delete who is not working. But i ask the players, who have the fatals, if they could give me a screenshot about their error-message

1 Like

Just so you know, fatal errors keep happening on logout to main menu. Last patch didn’t change a thing, well sorry yes, now rhe same message appears way quicker than before.

Hey @miodeleo

Since you mentioned previously you play on a modded server, does that crash also happen when you disable all mods?

I am not the server owner so I have no way of telling, might be one of the mods, but my guess is there are too many building pieces and placeables around when login off and that is causing the garbage collector function go nuts. Never played singleplayer without mods, well once and worked fine.

1 Like

Reason why we’re asking this is because we’ve not received similar reports about similar crashes recently, so our suspicion is that one of the mods might be causing it.

That’s the mod list there, if it helps.

In the case of mods, there’s not much we can do other than to recommend to get in touch with the authors of the mods used in your server and see if there’s any known issues that resemble your experienced crashes.

1 Like

Just crashed with a Fatal Error. There wasn’t anything else on the alert screen, just “Fatal Error!” I did fill out the little FunCom “help us help you!” thing that popped up, don’t know if those actually go anywhere. Anyway. I run a private server. We do use mods. I was inside my house, picking up a single weapon display rack off the wall. Whether this was Pickup+ functionality or regular in-game functionality (as I understand that some basic pickupingness is now a thing), I don’t know. But yeah–hold down E on a Single Weapon Display Rack (nothing displayed on it), go to select “Pick Up”, and pfeh Fatal Error!

Mods used on the server: Fashionist, Emberlight, Pickup+, Pippi, Conan Sexiles.