Feedback Abyssal Armor/Corruption build

Nope, try it on a sandstone building…

1 Like

Sorcery needs more offensive capabilities. I don’t mean getting a “comet azur like” spell, as a mage can have in Elden Ring. But the sorceror should be able to fight back, by evoking a weapon or something. I remember a fight from Elden Ring that was very tough for mage builds exactly because the opponent was very agile and you didn’t have time to cast powerful spells. But there was this massive sword we could evoke and use and if we were quick we could go toe to toe with the enemy. Magic was OP on Elden Ring, with the exception of a few fights. This was one of such cases and I find similarities in what happens in Conan, the difference beeing that the offensive capabilities are missing. I would like to see something like that on Conan. Like in that fight, we couldn’t just spam spells. We had to actually use melee, but we had a fighting chance if we were fast and got the timing right. I might have my combat recorded. Let me check…

This is what I’m talking about, @2cents. I don’t know if you played Elden Ring, but if you did and tried an intelligence or faith build, you know a mage wouldn’t survive without this sort of capabilities. There was a way to cheese this guy with a glitch and many did it that way, but it was unnecessary if you knew how.

1 Like

You’re making me want to play Elden Ring PVP again… I played a claymore dex build and my favourite thing was running up into mage’s faces, dodging their spells and cutting them down. One guy was amazing. I finally got close to him and hit him few times, and both our health was super low, and he suddenly did Carian Strike(?) perfectly timed. It was like a magic sword appeared in his hand and flashed a couple of times and I went down. So good.

I keep coming back to Conan PVP though because it has so much variety. On the rare occasions you do get a fight, you have no idea what’s going to happen, besides knowing they probably have a meta build. but even then, not everyone does. I got killed the other day when I was farming by a naked with stone daggers like it was 2019 :laughing:

1 Like

The nerf made the spell such a pathetic thing.

4 Likes

Mule kick and the knockback 4th perk of sorcery strength are pretty powerful. Add in the sharing of damage, last grit perk and if you manage the low stam, a fun build.

It’s similar, but less powerful. It’s vertical. He probably used Carian Grandeur or Carian Greatsword (slightly less powerful). The Carian slicer, smaler faster sword, was a very good choice for pvpv. I was using Adula’s Moonblade because Alecto is weak to ice damage. Your build makes the combat with this guy easier. For a mage, this guy was a nightmare, but it only took me three atemps to bring Malenia down. for instancr. PVP as a Mage was very viable if you had the right build. Alecto had to be tackled in the same style. Killing this guy gave you the Black Knight Tiche Ashes, among the very best in the game. We had very fast tracking spells and ways to reduce casting time. Intelligence scaling weapons were really good. For PVE, nothing came close to playing with an intelligence build, to the point of boredom. This was the easiest title fromsoftware put forth. Usually, playing as a mage only pays up in the end. Bloodborne was hellish for a mage until late game, when the amount of damage you could put forth made arcane builds devastating.
Intelligence builds trivialized most bosses on Elden Ring.

All i can say to you is Thank you Sir. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont even know where to start with you, but its very obvious that you didnt engage in much fights at all as a sorcerer, or had to cast a spell to actually get away lol.

All your RP with manipulating things and bla is nice on paper but that aint happening in the game mate, and we need to see it as it is a GAME.
LS Sepemaru npcs? yea have fun standing there for 3 minutes to kill them, while you can just do it in 10 seconds with a sword…
Summon Nergal while people are running at you? will simply not happen since casttime is like 10 seconds, and a single arrow will in 90% of the time cancel your spellcast… You are just better off running away on a horse lol
No the perks are not to get away, they are designed in a way that you actively engage in a fight, even your “lovely” corrupted auth perks… Every single perk is designed arround you attacking or getting attacked…Even if you decide to run from a fight they will get you, since you have even with 20 Grit(wich is mandatory to even consider fighting) you have less stamina than everyone else wich means they will catch up sooner than later. You have to stand your ground at some point.
Dominating pve content as a Sorcerer ? yea great you can also do that as lvl 20 with stone daggers what are you trying to say here? that its viable in pve? everything is viable in pve…
You clearly missunderstood the intend of the nerf of LS… LS was used to offline raid bases and it was used exactly for your kind of playstyle, fly somewhere grief them with LS and fly away(avoid direct confrontation, because every moron figured after 1 week that the spell was useless against active defenders that knew darkness cleans it…), the whole change to LS, makes people now actually use it in direct interactions, so basicly exactly the opposite of what you think they intended to do and what it was used for before lol.
LS is actually quite good atm, i played as a Sorcerer for about 800 Hours now, and can say that LS is legit the only reliable and useful spell in raiding offense or defense, simply because it provides space. It rarely happens that it actually kills someone, but it staggers people when they get hit wich has alot of value, for defence it helps the team to repair etc.
Getting the spell off is another issue, why in gods name is it necessary that i need to run into our raidpyramid to cast for like 10 seconds to get a spell out? why can i not memoriese the spell and click through it in 1 second?
Its clear you and me are playing completely different conan, for one i am in a big clan and you seem to be solo and hide most of the game. Secondly i enjoy fighting and you seem to not like it.
You make some bold claim when you say sorcery is only for the very niche of players, considering it was a massive update that is currently barely used…
You say you can play Sorcery on a pvp server without problems when you avoid all player interaction, thats true but i can also do that with lvl 20 and 20 points in enc… That doesnt mean its balanced.
I didnt say i should be able to beat everyone in a 1onX as a sorcerer, what i am trying to say and it seems more and more people actually seem to understand my point is, that if you put such a burden on it and give significant drawbacks to it then there needs to be SIGNIFICANT advantages somewhere else, else the cost benefit is just not right…And sorry the Bat/slowfall is just not enough, and if i am weaker in hand to hand combat, then there needs to be spells that make up for it…
The whole argument about the Armor/weapons+corrupted perks is only up for debate because we dont get new spells, so the only way for now to make Sorcery better and viable is with perks. I WISH we would get more spells for conflict.
Some of the Perks are highly questionable designed, why exactly is Desecrate and Twisted Flesh rng based? Isnt a Sorcerer supposed to be calculated? Theese perks could solve the whole sorcerer pvp viability if they were 100% proc with a cd of some seconds, you could actually PLAN an engagement on your terms where you knew you would have the upper hand in the first seconds of a fight because of them but no man sorcerers clearly dont plan their encounters and just prey to who ever they do that their stuff procs :slight_smile:
Auth is not viable in pvp
Everyone can use Sorcery stuff while not beeing a Sorcerer(Zombies, teleporter and even spells)
So why exactly be one ? aside from liking the theme of it?

But i appreciate your view on the topic much love

1 Like

Intelligence builds trivialize many things in the real world too. It’s a pity most people didn’t allocate stat points to intelligence upon character creation, and many don’t seem to raise it when leveling up either. Then they complain how everything is so damn difficult.

3 Likes

Have to disagree about LS looks pretty useless to me atm, and i see noone using it at all, ever anymore.
Even myself.
But other than that agreed.

Best comment I read in a long time.

1 Like

I was wondering when this kind of discussion was going to start… :smirk:

Sooner or later, people were going to start complaining that keeping sorcery true to the canon is “useless in PVP”, just like people have complained for ages that “archery is useless” because their archer build can’t go toe-to-toe with others.

I like Conan Exiles precisely because it makes me feel like I’m playing in the world that R. E. Howard was describing. This is not Elden Ring. It’s not a D&D game, or any other high fantasy setting. It’s Howard’s Hyborian Age. If that means that sorcery just isn’t useful enough in PVP, so be it.

4 Likes

OK. Let me expand on this. I had a clan bug me and they are always on and outnumber…soooooo I built a t3 alter right near every single base and outpost they had. Everyone on the server knew where they were and where they were hiding. It took less than a week before my problem was taken care of. I don’t want your stuff. I can farm for myself thank you very much. You get my attention that you are a problem to what I’m doing? The goal is to neuter this problem, not get emotionally attached that i have to solve it directly. As far as sorcery goes, LS is a great method of announcing where bases are if you know someone is in that area. Just cast it…doesn’t even need to be raid time. If someone is in the area, they will investigate and find your enemies base. Your resources can be saved and let the other clans deal with it for you.

Multitasking. Resource collecting while that goes on. Khari steel, iron ore, coal, exquisite meat, rhino hide, or even silver mining are all options while in that area. Not that it matters due to the nerf.

How close do you let people get? If you aren’t paying attention 100 m away from you, you shouldn’t play a solo sorcerer type. If you are within 20 m, I agree that spell chucking is a no go but if you are paying attention and avoiding choke points where you can be ambushed, you should have ample time to activate the spell. It helps if you got a system @Wak4863 keyed me into this with his numbering system and I gotta say it works. For nergal, it’s middle, and then click and then click. When the bat swoops in to take you, immediately soar up. Anyone watching actually loses sight of you. I had a friend watch while we were just playing around and he said he saw the bat pick me up and suddenly I just disappeared. Also at this current time, horses are not stable enough to count on due to the mount window being inconsistent. Relying on that amount of uncertainty as the only method of retreat means you die and should just drop the gear for them at that point.

Trend I am noticing of not being prepared and still putting stock in fight builds for this. Doesn’t work against vets. You are at a significant disadvantage going toe-2-toe with someone that knows what they are doing and so the logical conclusion is to not do so. You assume you have to and I’m saying that is optional if you plan accordingly and you fail if you have to directly combat someone…regardless of outcome of combat.

You can do it in a far quicker rate than the level 20…and questionably with the fight builds of level 60 since you can also have thralls collecting stuff. The long term success or failure of PVP has nothing to do with combat but about how not to get into combat (there is no benefit to the fight itself and until equalizing (IE balancing ) factors are done to ensure you don’t get ganked by the completely unbalanced methods of outnumbering people in fights, avoidance is your best strategies when playing solo or small clan) and farm as efficiently as possible. If you can’t find me to steal my stuff and I can farm in manners that outpace you, eventually I win because your 10 man crew needs action to stay motivated. I do not and I have patience that your team will get bored and move on. When you do, your spoils will be mine afterwards.

Yep agree with this assessment and they did so at the cost of the entry level players that will continue to get plagued and owned on PVP much to the regret of the bottomline of the game numbers. If there isn’t an equalizer to stop the large clan or the clan that has much more time on their hands, then the numbers stagnate and eventually dry up which is what we have seen historically in PVP. Many of us don’t have time to dedicate to this. That shouldn’t mean that building damage is just not an option for us.

This isn’t a T3 spell worth though IMHO. A RNG AOE stagger shouldn’t be seen as the pinnacle of sorcery knowledge. Area effect bleed, or poison, or sunder? A RNG attack that can actually do significant damage to building or NPC, yep. What LS is now? Yea its been nerfed to a cloth level spell.

Agree for the most part. If there was something worth the fight, it would be one thing but it’s not worth it IMHO. Also I can’t comment on your playstyle within a large clan but the majority of large clans that I have played with don’t like fighting either, they like beating people down. There is a difference. If you raid indiscriminately without concern of clan # and you are a large clan, then you are just bullies outnumbering other players getting some sort of juvenile high by thinking you are all bad-ass when clearly that isn’t the case. Most large clan PVPers i know are crap fighters and have to rely on numbers or Meta to win the day. When confronted with someone that can hold their own, they call in support to outnumber and then talk trash like it’s some great thing that they need 4 people to take the solo on. Unfortunately this is just the way for these types of games and so playstyles have to adapt to it which is why the only successful means to solo is to hide and set psy-ops to lower the morale of your enemies. If outnumbering an opponent is not frowned upon then hiding and psy-ops can’t be either. Both are cowardly but successful strategies.

I want it to have more use. But it’s not there because you got a majority of win-at-all-costs style of play out there. It’s that type of toxic play (And yes it is toxic to forget the objective of a game is for everyone to have fun…even a competitive game) that prevents people from using it more often. I ignore the win-at-all-costs and I am having a blast with it as is. So the question here is what game style is sorcery designed for? One that is disappointed in it or one that is actually have fun with it?

There isn’t a need for combative balance because you are still assuming combat is the only thing to do. Do you disagree that the PVP game is 95% PVE and 5% actual Player-vs-player interactions? So if that is a fairly accurate assessment of the time spent, why would you want balance just to be focused on that 5%? The sorcerer’s balance is mostly in that 95% where you aren’t in direct conflict with someone else.

In game? Because you are full of demonic energies that are not reliably counted on. The perks are not spells that are more focused and manipulated by the sorcerer. The perks are just demonic energies flowing through you that provide you with demonic advantages but keep in mind, you don’t control that.
Mechanically? Because those are over the top and they know someone like me would obliterate any opposition if I could rely on a pattern of activation.

Agree in actual combat but they are useful distractions (to get away) and the psychological effect of seeing 3 characters (thralls and PC) shouldn’t be discounted so easily.

Because you can cast at will…plus its very liberating to no longer be concerned over corruption in unnamed city or other areas where one was feeling like they were getting “hurt” with the corruption. It’s a psychological effect knowing you are getting corrupted and you gotta move away from it…if it’s embraced, you don’t get the same stress. Just farming the power fragments alone makes the corruption builds worth it IMHO. I am flying on my bat to the top of towers. I am ignoring corruption effects, and if I’m not in the mood, I can do all of it without any NPC monster getting in my way because I’m invisible to them.

2 Likes

Lore should never trump playability.
You know VERY WELL what balance means. Sorcery is not well balanced. Elden Ring is a good example where many completely different playstyles are well balanced. They did an exceptional job at that. That’s why I brought it up. Funcom could get some inspiration from them in this case. It’s not that hard to make sorcery viable for pvp combat and I bet Funcom wants it to be so, but failed to achieve it so far. I’m confident they’ll get it sooner or later. Archery is much better now. So, the direction is good.

2 Likes

I’ve always agreed with that up to a certain degree. The problem here is that we’re reaching that “certain degree”.

Let me put it this way: there are tons of games you can play that have the kind of magic system people are asking for in this thread. There is only one Conan “survival” game like this.

People are pushing for Conan Exiles to stop being a true Conan game. I can’t agree with that.

Yes, I do, quite well. And I’ve also been the first to explain that there are gameplay concerns that are actually more important than balance. It’s very simple to explain, too: rock-paper-scissors is perfectly balanced, but most people wouldn’t spend thousands of hours playing it.

But okay, let’s talk about balance, too. The worst problem you can have is what the game theory calls a “strictly dominant” strategy. That’s when people start talking about how “X is meta” and “X is OP” and “X must be nerfed”.

This is not it. Sorcery is by no means a dominant choice. Instead, what people are complaining about is that it’s what the game theory calls a “dominated strategy”.

Should that be fixed? Yes, if possible. Should it be at the expense of making the game stop occupying the niche that many of us value? Hell no. Like I said, there are tons of games outside this niche to scratch that particular itch.

Good for them. See above.

Of course it’s not hard! All we need is some pew-pew magic. Thing is, Funcom didn’t want to introduce pew-pew magic, and I’m very grateful to them for staying true to Howard’s vision.

Now, is it easy to balance sorcery without pew-pew magic? I doubt it.

Yep. And it took how long? And as a player who specializes in archery, can you go toe-to-toe with whatever the PVP community here will say is the meta-du-jour?

I don’t mind Funcom improving sorcery, as long as they stay true to the canon. In fact, I’d love to see more of the Howard-style sorcery, and to have it be more useful in gameplay. But demanding to ruin the game’s cohesion and artistic integrity in order to provide you guys with something that can go toe-to-toe with the current meta? Yeah, miss me with that.

3 Likes

Like to point out at no point have i asked for pewpew magic.
All im asking for is while toe to toe it should be advantage uncorrupted, not rofl stomp.
And for that advantage there needs to be more of advantage in other area past what currently here.

There a big difference

You, personally, didn’t. However, there have been calls for so-called “combat spells” right from the start of the thread. And there have also been ideas like a spell to pull out a weapon from out of thin air and jump into the fray.

Fact of the matter is that sorcerers in Howard’s Hyborian Age aren’t people that will go into direct combat with warriors. And as long as people are asking to be a “sorcerer” (i.e. specialize completely or almost completely in sorcery) and win a melee fight with a warrior, they’re asking for a game that isn’t set in Howard’s Hyborian Age.

I wouldn’t mind sorcerers having more stuff that will help them fight their enemies without engaging in full-on melee combat, as long as that stuff isn’t pew-pew magic (e.g. fireballs). But I really don’t see any proposal here that makes me think that you or @Lole are asking for that. Instead, it looks like the complaint is “but I get stomped by warriors in melee combat”, to which the answer is “duh, they’re warriors”.

1 Like

By adding an evokable sword or something to sorcery, so that you have a fighting chance as a sorceror? Give me a break! :laughing:

You don’t have half stamina and half health by using a bow, @CodeMage ! You may very well have daggers with an agility build, good both for bows and daggers.