That’s a good suggestions, but I’ve already reduced the sound levels. I have hearing issues as well, and thus, have at my disposal a sound meter for measuring volume in rooms and so forth.

When the game is playing at my already-reduced volumes, the game plays sounds like birds chirping and wind blowing at about 58-66 decibels. In other words, fairly quiet.

When the game plays the sound for the Wild Surge strikes, it jumps to 84-86 decibels. In other words, borderline hearing damage.

Put simply, the ratio of sound from the base game events to the sound of this particular audio file is too loud. This is not just an opinion; this is measured.

6 Likes

It needs to be lowered. To lower the strikes volume to a reasonable sound level the rest of the game becomes whisper quiet. Devs need to make an option such as “night mode” for those really big, loud events. Or they need to tone down the strike sound, diffuse it a bit with rumbles like thunder. As it is, sounds like a few big pans banging together. I like the intention, but it’s not quite right yet. Too much, too fast. Too loud.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s bloody too loud compared to all the rest of the sounds.

1 Like

Yep 100% agree - there’s several noises in the game which are not only far too loud, but jarring. This occuring on a regular basis is really grating and needs to either have their sound volume reduced, or possbily replaced with a different sound. Love the new ambient sounds in the game, but these periodic sounds are actually painful.

3 Likes

Over 90db isnt harmful for a short shock to scare you. But i wish for a setting for it in settings, Ambience storm sound whatever.

No-ones saying it’s physically hurting them - lol - it’s just very very unpleasant/annoying/irritating.

You are correct that a short shock, by itself, is insufficient. However, the storm persists and repeatedly pounds over and over and over again.

For anyone wanting more detailed information about Noise-Induced Hearing Loss, check out this information guide from the Department of Health and Human Resources (U.S. government):

As stated earlier, its borderline right now. As in, not yet.

And yes, some people have reported headaches from this audio file; that’s physical. But @Decado’s basic sentiment is correct in that the majority of people are simply reporting that its very, very unpleasant, annoying, and irritating.

2 Likes

Agree on the sound being too loud, me and the guys almost shat ourselves the firsts time running around in circles with fear. But soon after we figured out where TF that sound came from it became an annoyance.

:metal: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

taking bets now as to the likelihood someone makes a replacement mod using the chorus of ‘it’s raining men’

1 Like

Lol they could reduce the volume of thunder strikes by 50% and it would still be too loud lmao

Hey @Bodin

We’re aware of this, it’s been reported on a few threads over the past few days. Our team is looking into it.

2 Likes

1 Like

Also, it doesnt have to be a BOOM BOOM BOOM… just 1 BOOM is enough

@Ignasi

Regarding the volume: it us good to see this is being brought up. I was at the beach when I first heard the sound and had zero interest in getting closer to the source fearing the volume would increase the closer I got.

That doesn’t seem to be the case though? It is just very loud everywhere on the island? thankfully, I wasn’t playing with my headset on at the time.

Don’t worry! We’ll lower the boom badaboom in an upcoming hotfix. We’ll try more of a BRWAAAAAAAAAARM Zimmer kinda horn thing.

Haha, just kidding.

UNLESS.

5 Likes

Thank you for hearing us and looking into the loudness of the Surges. If I could recommend adjusting the sound based on proximity to the Surge? We can all see them on the map so notifying us via the loud boom isn’t necessary. However, the closer you are to the location of the surge when it happens, that would be quite nice and shocking.

1 Like

Well, definitely shocking. I don’t know about “nice.”
But the devs have heard us (no pun intended) and they’re working on sound changes. Let’s see what they come up with.

Keep that one for April 1st, 2021 – that would be hilarious! :smiley:

As for the boom boom volume, I would love if we had a volume slider for SFX like the Surge boom boom, and Purge bwoooo, and the meteor crash. I know it might be too much work of questionable value, but I can still hope and dream :wink:

This issue should be resolved with Hotfix 2.0.2:

If this issue persists, please post a comment in the above thread.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.