Fishing system has to go. It's total fail

I am not playing Siptah because of new fishing system. It is silly. That is not how fishing traps work and fish don’t die while in the trap. Now I don’t mind baiting them, but they should be full the next day and the fish don’t die in the trap in 15 minutes. If you are going to keep the current fishing system I will view it as an example of things to come and I am gone from Exiles.

9 Likes

Agreed. I liked the other system better where we add bugs to get a specific fish fast or simply have the traps and check them periodically. The whole fish dying thing is… ‘unpleasant’ for gameplay.

7 Likes

I think in spoilage rate in general in official servers is too high. It also makes managing food for your thralls and pets a chore. Virtually every private server has it slowed down significantly.

5 Likes

i agree… and also makes it a lot harder to keep up with the oil… and to much time taking to tend to them on a daily thing, if you do you stuck missing out on other important stuff thats needed also… farm 100 traps over and over for 4 hours to get 2k oil is not a fun day to spend on conan, it starting to make the game become more of a job like Ark pulled… then able to do stuff and still get by like befor, now you are stuck focused on oil production the most if you want armors and many other things oil is used for.

3 Likes

I also dislike the fishing in this game.
It was tolerable before, now I don’t even bother with it.

5 Likes

Wait, I thought the new fishing system applies to both Siptah and Exiled Lands? Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you and hate the new system, I just thought it was a change to the game in general and not map-specific.

6 Likes

@CodeMage

Fishing is optional in Exiled Lands. But you can’t get named thrall crafters in Siptah so fishing becomes mandatory. We definitely need a Quality of Life fix for this. Who plays Exiles for the fishing?

2 Likes

Oh, I get it now. Yeah, that’s what I was complaining about when they changed fishing, because I was playing Siptah.

I’m not sure, but I thought I saw someone say that you can get the oil recipe from a T3 alchemist now instead of T4.

Yes it was added in patch note on test live that way it makes it easier to get oil so t3 can do it now

4 Likes

That’s pretty much what a fish trap is…you put it together…put it in the water…fish wander in and BOOM! free food…

3 Likes

you don’t need to bait it…takes longer with no bait but it isnt required

2 Likes

i put em in the creek down the hill here for bait fish…current carries em in…i also forgot…they stay alive just fine

2 Likes

Are you playing on console?
Because on pc it you won’t get a single fish in any of the fish traps unless you add bait, time doesn’t change that :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds like they’re talking about real life. From what I’ve heard – I don’t do any fishing myself – that’s how fish traps actually work in real world.

2 Likes

I’m from a long line of fishermen and have spent 10-15 years in my younger days at sea, specifically the North Sea around Denmark, so I know a lot about fishing since I have done it for a living, and while I do not know how it works in every part of the world, I do know that in most places it wouldn’t be profitable at all using fish traps without bait :slight_smile:
We mostly used fishing nets, either anchored with a buoy at each end or trawling(dragging a net on the ocean floor behind the ship), but we also used fish traps although mainly for lobsters and crabs using bait because without it, we would mostly have empty traps or just some randomness without value :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! Like I said, I don’t fish, I just read that somewhere on the forums (and I’m too lazy to dig it up). I’ll leave the discussion about that to you guys who know about it, so you can teach guys like me how it works :slight_smile:

large crab pots…fish traps etc sure…small woven fish traps placed in the eddys and current will net you some fish with or without bait…come over to my neck of the woods and we can throw a few beers in a backpack, walk out back into the woods and ill show ya how to weave one and place it…you dont catch whoppers but little 3 to 4 inchers and the occasional crayfish that wanders in and ya got some good fishin bait.

1 Like

No you can’t, but run the center altar, Je’ ball sag( can’t quite remember how it’s spelt) :smile: All the veteran fighters are missing weapons, walk slowly and attack with their fists. I just stand there letting them hit me while I loot corpses sometimes. I usually don’t even need to engage my thralls.

I’ve done about 6-7 center max level surges and have 5 T4 alchies.

Use the Trade Alchemist’s bench to craft oil as it’s still 1-1 ichor and bark but a lot faster yielding 5 oil a pop. I’m swimming in oil now, the difference is night and day.

I sure don’t miss moving grubs from 70 compost bins into dozens of traps, removing the fish before decay etc. What a pain in the @ss.

1 Like

I do not doubt that there are places where you can catch some fish in traps without bait, but I think it’s wrong to compare a game mechanic to real life… It’s a game where things are done in certain ways for balance.
We also do not compare to real life when we heal serious wounds in seconds, or when the old fishing system where traps could catch hundreds fish in just a few hours, carrying a whole mountain of rocks in your inventory, I could go on with things that is far from what it would be like in real life, but I think you get the point :wink:

All that said, I do agree that the fishing traps could do with a little more purpose other than getting oil early on, the improved fish traps still have a purpose when you want to get extra attribute points for a fixed time(an hour I think).
I do think that requiring bait is a good idea for balance, but they decay too fast - In my opinion getting oil the old way was too fast and easy, an almost 100% passive resource that kinda made coal and other fuel types redundant + gave you free ichor in large quantities.
I would even go further and wish that beehives required bees in order to produce honey, in my opinion passive resource gathering is a bad thing for a survival game.

5 Likes