Framerate too slow

Game mode: Singleplayer
Problem: Performance
Region: NA

Yesterday, when I started up the game, I started experiencing an abysmal framerate - bad enough that I can’t really play the game. I tried restarting my computer, just to be sure that it wasn’t an update or something slowing down game performance, but it was clearly nothing like that. The problem has persisted into today.

Steps on how to reproduce issue:

1. Start game
  2. Framerate is bad
  3. N/A
  4. N/A
1 Like

I’m now on day three of this issue. Just to be sure, I lowered the graphics quality to see if that made a difference, and it didn’t.

Day four. Just for the hell of it, I tried defragging my computer (it’s about a month old, so I figured that was a longshot, at best); no change. The framerate is still unplayably bad.

It’s nice to see the overwhelming response and suggestions from anyone official !
I would have normally suggested that you post this into the “Support” forum, but they don’t help there either.

Are you on a laptop or PC?
What spec is your hardware?

To try to help, we need your system speccs.
As you are running a PC I’m pretty shure you use Win 10.
Win 10 installes updates every week, sometimes those updates kill your drivers. For me it’s the WLAN stick, which makes trouble after each update.
So maybe you should upgrade you graphics driver at first.

But to realy help, tell us you system and on what resolution you play.

1 Like

I’m running Windows 10 on a month old MS Surface Book 2 laptop, with 1TB of storage. Up until a few days ago, it was running the game gloriously with maxed-out visuals, only to have the framerate suddenly crap out on me when I started up the game. I’m playing on 3240x2160 resolution, as my system recommends.

With frame rate issues, I would recommend checking with your video card vendor, and making sure that you have the latest and greatest drivers.

Also may be helpful for your troubleshooting - there is a Steam in-game FPS calculator. I don’t recall where you need to go to turn this on. However, you should be able to check the Steam Community or Google to find where the toggle is. It’ll provide you with your frame rate in-game in the upper right hand corner of your screen.

Also, if you want to rule out ping or server latency, it might be useful to you to open the DebugHUD in the game. Use tilde to open a console ( ` ). Then, type:

ToggleDebugHUD

This will show you your ping to the server, and also the server’s FPS (not sure what this stat actually means - server frames per second does not really make sense).

This might be better logged over in the PC support forum section. Good luck!

I’m running in single player, which is why the sudden nosedive in framerate is really puzzling. One day, it was running beautifully; the next, it was so choppy that getting through a doorway without overshooting it was a nightmare.

Do you have the problem in certain or specific areas of the map? In the desert, on the beach in the jungle where the sun reflects super bad off the sand, water, etc.? Think about the kind of textures that are loaded where you are having framerate issues. Then, see if you can negotiate the framerate issues by turning away from those, specific, problem-textures.

I am still convinced that you might be best served updating drivers for your video card. There is something that they are doing with DirectX (or whatever) that your card is not handling well. It might be possible that an update to DirectX, or the Windows OS, is needed too.

Also, you may want to try dialing down your visual settings. Even with the settings on medium or low, the game is still very pretty and enjoyable. If this improves your frame rate, that might be your best option.

It went from running just lovely in a spot that had been giving me no problems (my base), to running terribly in that exact same spot. The only thing that had changed is that I quit out of the game one night, and started it up again the next day. I had not recently added structures or new thralls, so that’s not the issue.

I’ve done every update my computer will allow, and dialed the graphics settings down, to no effect.

And, again, I will stress that the computer was running things flawlessly the night before on maxed-out settings.

Hmm. In that case, I wonder if you can go and track the patching on your system, and see if something was updated at the point in time when you frame rate went to garbage. If you can isolate a patch (or a batch of patches) that were recently installed, you can try uninstalling those. If there are multiples, I would do one at a time so that you can identify the offending one.

You pushed your laptop over its limits.

I know it’s not that, as the laptop was running the game flawlessly the night before, and had been for the month or so before that. No patch to the game occurred that might’ve mucked things up, so I’m left to wonder what mystery thing happened that made the framerate suddenly tank.

Firstly: On a laptop or even on a desktop with displays 35" or less…this ratio is overkill. Run at a clean 1920x1080 and have fun. The game is still incredible and you get a large frame rate increase.

Since you just gave us MS Surface Book 2 and nothing else…difficult to help you.
Example in my Laptop: I have an Asus - ROG 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb <= Now this kind of info is helpful
This laptop runs Conan Exiles perfectly…but does run warm…the fans in the rear sound like jet engines. LOL

My desktop has about the same specs except and AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU…which has been slightly better than the i7 from personal use in CE and other things. Both are stout computers though.

Lastly…as stated above…Windows 10 just did a massive update (May 2018) and I had to Uninstall my drivers and install fresh ones from the drivers vendors. I use Speccy (Google it) to help figure out what the ACTUAL parts are in the computer and download directly from Intel, Realtek…etc. If you look on the MS Surface Drivers Support page and the drivers there are old than February/March 2018 then likely those driver links have not been updated for this latest Windows 10 update. Also to note!! Many motherboards come with a default Bios from the factory. While doing your computer update research it would be wise to check your Bios version to your computer specs vs what the latest is. In both Laptop and Desktop with this update I had to update the Bios as well because the USB 3.0 and a few other things like SSDs started acting strange and lots of Disconnecting and Reconnecting…I could find very little information about this. Now after Bios and Driver Updates…both are back to normal (no quirks)…and actually run faster.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I ended up finally uninstalling my graphics driver, entirely, and it reinstalled upon restarting the computer, which seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the advice, all!

Okay. So, that fix worked… for the duration of a single session of play.

I logged out and, when I logged back in, later, the framerate was back in the toilet. This time, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver didn’t do anything. Hell, on the suggestion of a friend who knows this sort of thing, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. No dice.

I really need a lasting “one and done” fix, here.

Umm…you still did not answer the question/advice. Are you now running the game at 1920x1080 (HD 1080p)? And did you set your shadows to Medium? And WHICH MS Surface are you actually using? All of these matter if you are asking for help…which you are.

Ok…here are my settings with my GTX1060 6GB (same on both laptop and desktop). You will notice that SOME of the settings you choose do not make any difference in visual quality…however…they do make a rather large difference in performance (FPS). Please see my settings here (I work in UE4 A LOT and know a lot of the quirks…Funcom has not solved/changed any of them either. These are just the way the engine loves to chew up resources)

Give these a try…and you will need a good CPU and GPU if you want to run this game/engine well. i5 should do well but the GPU must be something robust.

Lastly…you should take a good look at Passmark. They have excellent CPU and GPU benchmarks. The points system they have is really solid. I am a serious game developer in HD1080p and I use this as an excellent benchmarking resource.
CPU: www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
GPU: www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Just logged in at a friend’s place, and the framerate is fine. I suspect the router at home got nailed with that recent cyberattack, so I shall have to get the roommate to update the firmware when she’s back from vacation.

Well :smiley: that is not ‘Framerate’ that is server/connection lag…completely different. So much for trying to help. Good luck.