Funcom Financial Report Q2 2018

They tried this and had players complaining when stuff noted for “September” wasn’t out by September 1st. Don’t get me wrong i loved the roadmap, but i really don’t blame them for taking it down and dropping it.

1 Like

They don’t have to put a date on it. Even vague ones. Just things that are “on the list™” or being worked on would be helpful.

Is Dark Agartha still going to be a thing?
Are the missing dungeons and raids being reintroduced?
Will we finally get a new scenario mode that challenges even max-IP players?
Is the Congo actually still coming?
etc.

1 Like

We need a…
“Wait, is september already !?”
Or “Wait, summer’s holidays are finished already!?” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They quit doing that because the community would piss and moan when they missed a milestone or pushed something back. It was a case of “This is why we can’t have nice things.” Even though the roadmap wasn’t an official schedule, it was just a list of goals. You rarely meet all of your goals. And a lot of the time, it was just missing by a few weeks. If they said “September” it would sometimes come out the first week of October and people lost their minds.

In this case, it wasn’t FC’s fault. It was ours.

1 Like

I’d say it was Funcom’s fault for putting even vague dates on it. Anything like that will be taken as gospel by players.

Because people don’t understand the concept of a Roadmap … and i wouldn’t put it past ppl to complain why they ain’t seeing stuff even without dates. You have people disappointed about the amount of content for SA … which is okay, since not everyone have the background to understand how much time creating what we got would actually take. What is absurd is when they go like “We waited 4years and this is all we got” as if the devs actually worked on it for 4 years.

I’m not complaining that the devs worked for four years only to give us SA. I’m complaining that A) resources have not been spent in the most productive way. Most of these last four years went towards redesigning the entire game, which was not necessary. The combat system of TSW could have been revamped in less time for less money and would have been just as successful. Most egregious of all, all of the effort and resources poured into revamping the game seem to have gone nowhere. The game is just as, if not more stagnant than it ever was. And that B) resources are being diverted away from SWL and all we end up getting from Funcom’s financial windfall is an hour or two of content after a year of the game being relaunched with countless hours of content that existed prior still missing. SWL can and should be one of FC’s big earners still. It may not rival Conan Exiles, but this game still to this very day attracts new players all the time and when people give the game a chance they are wowed by it only to find out at the end that it’s an endless grind with no endgame to be had. If FC invested some of their newfound capital into SWL, the game could have tons of ability to attract and most importantly retain new players while giving us a rich and full gaming experience and most importantly for Funcom, a profit maker. They simply choose not to and I cannot wrap my head around why. It makes absolutely no logical sense.

2 Likes

Wanna stop you right there. I didnt say you did, i said some ppl did.

If by redesigning you mean relaunching into SWL then you are right to include yourself into the group of ppl i mentioned, if not then i stand by the above. All that time ppl waited for more story in TSW was doubtly spend redesigning it into SWL, and either way there is no prof.

I would love to see some actual numbers proving this. And we wont know how successful it would of been, cause it wasnt the road they choose.

Yet i see lots of actual new players in KM, where as I hardly saw anyone when i started in TSW. In SWL each map feels more crowded than they did in TSW, despite the 10 player soft cap.

Maybe true but somehow i doubt you have those numbers. Just as little as I have the numbers to prove all money from SWL goes into SWL.

Lets pretend for the sake of this argument that introducing the old content into SWL would take less than a day.

As for the rest of your concern, the lack of anything new right now means 1) you are right or 2) they are busy creating said content, cause contrary to what i wrote above, stuff like this dont get done in a day.

I do apologize if i hit home when i spoke about some players with unrealistic ideas of creation time and the illusion that X number of years without content in TSW means X number of years was spend on the relaunch, just to justify their disappointment.

As for SA, while it was short on the mission side, i personally really enjoy the level of research they did, and how above and beyond they went with the atmosphere. Very well done, appriciate the quality. Looking forward to the missions still missing.

I don’t even know where to start. I don’t feel like taking you point by point, but you’re conflating a lot of things. You’re conflating criticism over how resources were spent with complaining. It isn’t the same thing. There is such a thing as nuance. You’re conflating stagnation with new people being in KM all the time. You’re conflating the years spent developing the relaunch with… I don’t actually know what you’re trying to get at with that one.

You’re not seeing the nuance. You’re not seeing the granularity to my arguments. You’re narrowly focused on several points without seeing the bigger picture.

The point is, FC is not showing any signs of giving much of a damn about the future of SWL, but only keeping it “online”. What may people would term as “maintenance mode”. Hence the only point about SWL brought up in the financial report being repeatable events that happen periodically as opposed to actual new content. If FC actually has any intent on going forward in a meaningful way, it isn’t showing. Of course, radio silence, keeping the community completely in the dark, and general obfuscation is Funcom modus operandi, so who knows. I’m not optimistic, however.

This exactly. We can debate back and forth on why FC did what it did to TSW, as I agree much of the smoothing of questing, etc., putting out better tutorials, locking you to zones if need be, could have been accomplished in TSW. Maybe the combat didn’t work for them, but honestly I don’t see the reticle combat as a gamebreaking improvement. The changes from the wheel made it less frustrating for the average player.

Anyway, my gripe - the endless promises of we’ll keep you informed, we’re committed to the game, etc., etc., that never happens. Actions speak louder than words.

• Roadmap gone.
  • Livestream gone.
  • Community Managers AWOL.
  • Game director letter gone.
    It’s not surprising there were only a couple of bullet points on their investor letter.

To date, FC has NOT told the player base what they’re intending for Samhain - a month from now - it was found in the investor info. You’d think they’d start teasing it, advertising it or something. Congo, at the rate things are going, I’d imagine if it comes to light it will be in 2019.

At this point ANY CRUMB OF INFO regarding what is coming would be appreciated. It’s what they claim they are going to do - keep us informed. Even if it’s fairly vague - Fall we’re doing xyz. To say they don’t do that because players get pissy is b.s. Every other gaming company manages to handle communication and expectations of their client base. Or be able to actually KNOW how long it will take to produce something. They’re not a new indie company, you’d think after a decade or so, they’d be able to say we can get this done in this amount of time - at least an approximation.

Right now SWL is still missing:

• the last three dungeons past story mode
  • a way for people to complete their museums (things locked in manufactory)
  • pvp (likely never to happen at this rate)

IDK, it gets very disheartening this waiting, promises made and not kept, etc. Love the game, but it’s getting closer and closer to the “don’t bother logging in, just come back when there is something new” mode. Hate that.

4 Likes

what frustrates me the most is the lack of info on updates and lack of actual updates. they mentioned a while ago that they meant to have shorter content but much faster than before, between 2-3 months, and i don’t think we’ve ever got that (probably the last update was around 3 months, but they added quests from TSW and like 1 quest abd 1 sidequest, so it’s not like the story went forward at all. all the rest it’s been reasons like" it’s halloween/christmas/anniversary/etc event"
I’m not interested in those events much. if there arent any plans to have substantial new story content or new zones a few times per year then I’m not interested in the game. but since they won’t even tell us if there is anything in the future at all besides event, I don’t know what to think :confused:

The faction missions were pretty exact one month ago. (1.8.)

yeah but they’re not relaly “new content” I think old, readapted content shouldn’t be included in the “new content every 2-3 months” part. it should be handled separately. or else it can be years adding old content that way. eveyr 2-3 months adding some old TSW content…

Andy already stated that whatever comes in september will be something that didn’t exist in TSW.
But than people will nag again that they want old content.
At this point Funcom never does it right no matter what they do because someone will always not get what they want.

And people wonder why funcom doesn’t like sharing info…

a new event is a great thing indeed. but it’s still an event and probably won’t advance in the story (although maybe it will, and that would be great)
the point is. SWL was launched more then a year ago. the time for adding old content should be long gone by now. they should have added it MONTHS ago. people want it because we’re not getting enough new content either, for elites we have the same few dungeons to do, if we had a lot of new dungeons to do elites in, then people wouldn’t be complaining about old content as much.
I don’t mean to sound mean at all, I know a MMO is a big project and requires a lot of work, specially for a small team. But in more than a year we’ve hardly got a veyr small new zone with new content that cna be beaten in a few hours, and some old content, but still no more dungeons or pvp, which people have been asking for a long time too. these are the basics of a game, having dungeons and pvp is endgame content, and most people are already done with the story.
If you think the games problems are all the community’s fault then I have bad news for you. all other game companies manage to having previews of what’s coming and a general idea on the future of the game, and share it with their players. but in here it’s total hermetism and many people are tired of that.

Reworking TSW content to work in SWL doesn’t count as new content?
You realise it’s not just a quick copy-paste of code to have them in the game, right?

I can’t wait until MFA/MFB are back in the game, only for people to complain that it took too long, and also, where are the NEW dungeons. :roll_eyes:

i you want to wait 2+ more years for we to get all the old content we had back in TSW, feel free to do. I’d prefer not to do it. i think 1 year and a half is more than enough to have it all ready by now.
If it was just a matter of copy paste id expect it to be ready at launch. so no, I know it’s not that easy.

“SWL” is just “TSW 2.0” (so said shift-F9 for several months after launch) and therefore all the old things are likely still in the code repository and just wait to be enabled. Heck, during the anniversary, Andy spawned a MF tank with all the AEGIS shields, so that thing could return at a whim really quickly.

1 Like

Andy summoned Eidolon too, during anniversary so wait and see :wink:

You can copy code. But it’s by far not guaranteed that it will even work in the new combat system. Also balancing that applied to TSW doesn’t necessary work in SWL.
Asked for that concerning dungeons. The alteration necessary due to the lack of tab targeting and the balancing that comes with us having not the same abilities, stats and such just inflates the work needed.
During this last year they included old events but they had to make them work for the agartha spawn and a diffrent combat system. That said I would be happy if this year we get a few of the event missions people tell me from TSW and maybe something “new” for veteran player.