Funcom, time to end the debate. Server TOS

Condescension won’t hide the fact that you insist that speech and expression shouldn’t be covered by the TOS. I don’t care about your slippery slope fallacies, your Sorites paradox fallacies, or any other of the sophistries that you hold dear when discussing that topic.

All I care about is that you think there shouldn’t be any rules to cover that, which means that people should be free to yell the n-word and other shіt like that. Keep weaseling around as much as you want, and I’ll always point that out and let people decide if they agree that we should share servers with people who do that or not.

No, the problem of being on the same server with a chucklefuсk like that would remain.

Sure. And people who do what you’re defending can go somewhere else. I have no qualms about saying that. We’re not talking about anything as lofty as the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution. We’re talking about a bunch of servers provided by a private company for people to play a video game on those servers. If that company decrees that people who like building swastikas and yelling the n-word can go fuсk off somewhere else, I’m behind that decree 100%.

Was that simple enough English for you?

Funny how that hasn’t come up in your discussion about whether anyone would willingly and knowingly break the rules, not until now. I don’t often agree with @Taemien, but he’s 100% right on this one: you keep playing the victim, and then you try to make it look like you didn’t do that.

Sure, you build the real estate years before the TOS made it against the rules. And then they published the TOS, and gave everyone time to fix their stuff. Anyone who didn’t fix their stuff broke the rules willingly and knowingly. Such as, you know, someone who built a bridge and left it there and then got banned for it.

I already said: to beat their opponents by taking advantage of the fact that those opponents don’t want to adapt to the rules.

I’m not denying that the reporting is used intentionally to beat other players. I’m saying that most people are disingenuous when they discuss that reporting meta. They put all of the responsibility on Funcom, and none on their own playstyle. I’ve already said what I think Funcom is doing wrong. I’m pointing out what players are doing wrong and are unwilling to change.

Like I already told @Nemisis: it’s perfectly possible to argue about something real in bad faith. The report-to-win tactics are real, but way too many people are full of shіt when discussing it. Even if Funcom clarifies the rules and starts communicating better, a sizable portion of those people will still paint themselves as victims and come crying here.

The only way to avoid that would be for Funcom to have a public repository where you can see every single one of their admin actions, with a complete report detailing all the evidence received and gathered during their investigation. That way when someone comes here and says “I got banned unfairly”, people can look it up and call them out on their bullshіt. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t see a lot of “I got banned unfairly” if we could answer with “this you?” and a photo of their claim spam.

But we all know they’re not gonna do that, and I don’t blame them. Aside from any PR considerations, it’s too costly a measure just to cater to malcontents.

And before there are any misunderstandings, I’m not saying you are one of those people. I don’t know what your case is. If we ever discussed it, I don’t remember. I’m just saying that you’re overlooking those people and their numbers are high enough to matter a lot.

It’s a bluff, and a dumb one at that. I apologize if anyone at Funcom got offended that I said this, but there’s absolutely no way they can enforce the consequences for false reporting as long as the reporting isn’t done in-game and through the server.

As long as the server isn’t involved in the report, there is no way to authenticate the user making the report, so anyone can easily impersonate anyone else when submitting a report. And that, in turn, can lead to the abuse of the system by intentionally submitting false reports while impersonating someone you want to get banned.

So yeah, that’s a “scare tactic” that won’t work at all.

As to why they added that, it doesn’t take much to figure that one out. For one thing, you get auto-closed tickets saying that they didn’t get to review your ticket because they’re dealing with a high volume of reports. For another, you get Funcom staff posting about how many players don’t include even the most basic info in their reports. You put those together, and it’s not hard to imagine they can conclude on their own that some of those reports are shots in the dark by people who just want someone banned.

Sure, and have you ever stopped to wonder whether that has anything to do with the players? Who do you think invented claim spam as a defense strategy? Who abused one of the advanced building techniques to such a degree that it got removed from the game?