Funcom, what on earth are you doing?

Games are like art. It’s subjective.

It is an industry about passion, more than a service or a factory product. It is a hobby. Atleast for some people.

This is why there are so many double standards about it.

2 Likes

well the F’ed up the game with all the immediate issues it immediatly puts out (3 minute torch’s lasting 10 seconds, 20 minute torchs lasting around 2 minutes) food/water going down way fast (2 stakes of 50 food is gone in less than an hour), better to stay near a water supply becuase your constantly having to drink. Jorney not registering as well as map locations and when it does decide to place them up its only there for 5-10 minutes before bugging out.

Can kill some big world boss’s and dont take any damage, takes 2/3 peeps about an hour to kill it but all you have to do is stand there and whack it… some just hit you once and its instant death. Completly fubar’d.

Right now this so call mother of all patch’s broke the game and has made it so non fun to play right now… Even peeps that have only just returned after a year and not happy (have 2 in my clan) and 2 that they got to people buying the game then 2 days later you release another BUM patch.

Now i know why servers are dying off and the game is not doing as well as it should be. Not that the game is not good, its because you F it up on every single patch and are very slow to fix the issue’s.

1 Like

Except that’s not true. A level of the game is like art, and that’s… the art. Which the art of Conan is great, I have no complaints there. The functionality is however a very black and white issue of whether it’s good or bad, and right now, the functionality in Conan is awful.

To dismiss an issue as “subjective” there have to be people that like both sides, meaning there’d have to be people that literally enjoy the game being broken (not just enjoy the game DESPITE it being broken) and want it to continue to be broken.

Again, all this does is make excuses for them to continue putting out poorly made content.

4 Likes

I’m curious, which bugs were you able to fix in 5 minutes? Aside from correcting the typos in the purge config table that you mentioned (Which to be fair should have been done by now if it is that straight forward)

2 Likes

I would argue that it isn’t broken. I’ve been able to enjoy all of my time with the game and have only run into minor issues. Sure there are things that can be improved and I don’t dispute that there are bugs, but stating that the game is objectively broken is way off the mark IMO.

4 Likes

I agree, the game is very enjoyable when it runs as intended. i also think it depends on the type of player as well. I enjoy building and this game even on the PS4, can make some great buildings. I play on a private server which certailnly mitigates alot of drama as it is populated by like minded folk. On the flip there does seem to be a large amounts of issues in regards to solo play and not everyone wants to play online. I do struglle to comprehend why in functions so well on some but for others it is a complete nightmare.

2 Likes

Which did I publish? I added a recipe for the Crimson lotus powder and changed the collision settings on the large shadecloth to make it interactable/removeable.

In the former case, I copied an existing powder and changed a few details.
In the latter case, I compared a working tent to a broken tent and clicked a couple of things to make one match the other.

Both had been frequently reported and were fixed shortly after my having posted details. As to whether they were comprehensive or correct fixes, only the devs can tell you.

Which did I know how to fix?

Thralls with missing recipes. (lookup the recipe numbers and add them to the relevent table)
Weapons and gear with incorrect stats. (edit the variables)
Spawn points with missing named thralls.
DLC with bonkers stats. (I wouldn’t have made that mistake in the first place in a million years).

I too am curious as to where you are going with this. I guess I’m about to find out.

It’s not just typos, fwiw. The purge waves have been designed to omit humans (and so crafter thralls) at higher difficulty thresholds and the chosen server defaults on official servers prefer these waves.

3 Likes

Sure, but no one said it was “Objectively broken” and even then that’s not precisely the same thing as saying “Completely broken”.

People use “broken” to mean “partially broken” as a form of short hand all the time, and since the fact that the game isn’t “Completely broken” is quite obvious, to assert that this is what they meant is to be quite pedantic.

But in one sense I would wholeheartedly agree, precise use of language should be preferred. I think we are all guiitly of embellishing the details when we are on a roll though.

Correct people, let them acknowledge their mistakes and move on. (or use their refusal to do so against them).

2 Likes

@science I am with you 100%. It is quite good that we can do our own solutions in the Toolset. Some are really simple that makes myself think…WTF…and Why? Then there are others that get lost in the maze they created and become obfuscated. It is what it is. Good thing is/was I make my own combo mod that I personally keep up with for the private server. It solves many issues but is an almost nightmare to keep working…QC testing and Validation. Oh wait…is that not supposed to be done by the dev? Yes! But we can mod and we can fix things ourselves. Sometimes ‘Hack Workaround’ is a better term. :smiley:

In any case. It is up to Funcom to do whatever they want with their game. We can either like it, despise it, or simply shrug it off and play or go do something else.

I think even after this excellent ‘Suck It Up and Do Something Patch’ helping is not enough to bring the server back up for some time. I’ll return after the MOAP + 2 more. Perhaps the devs will have gotten it by then…if not…no issue…I go do something else with my reserved play time.

Ok, but when you say stuff like this you are just promoting the scenario that I criticised them for.

That we should just go away and play on private servers and fix everything ourselves, thereby saving them money.

Sorry, but private servers are useless to me and many others for all kinds of reasons.

I bought an online game from Funcom. I don’t expect them to wave a magic wand and conjour up a perfect product that is all things to all men, but I do expect them to fix trival but significant bugs. Particularly when someone points out exactly what they are.

4 Likes

That IS my point exactly. It is NOT up to YOU or I what Funcom does with this game. We can criticize and complain but we cannot determine the outcome of what THEY deem is THEIR intent of Conan Exiles. For right or wrong…in the end it is their decision. And private servers are not useless.

You (and many others) bought INTO the fact that Funcom provides ‘High End Survival Servers’ to run their ‘High End UE4 Requirements Game’. Since they are providing servers in bulk my guess is that these are lower tier servers with easy/cheap deployment for low cost. Fair enough. The Test Live server is likely a grunty higher tier type of rig…I have no facts but suspicions…and the performance differences for Identical Game Builds is a leading indicator of this. Also Funcom can pull that plug whenever they wish…which brings us back to your own dedicated server.

Again…we can judge and complain…or go about our own business. I CHOOSE to use my own hardware to host for this reason as well as to fix game play issues. You (and others) don’t have to like it…but as you keep arguing about ‘Fixing Things in 5 Minutes’ then why not run your own ‘Official Rules Server’ with your 5 minute fixes and be merry? Or…put the game away and hope Funcom fixes these things over time. Enough said.

No, I didn’t. I bought an online game with the expectation that the provided servers would be sufficient to run them. Edit: Nice straw man though.

In other words, stop making legitimate complaints? That’s not how markets are supposed to work.

Still, I get the feeling I’m only really talking to myself now anyway.

Edit: honestly though, you are saying I have to pay many times more than the price of the game to run a private server, or risk getting knocked about by Admins on someone else’s server because they have no obligations to me as a customer. Nah, Funcom sold me an online game and yeah, private servers ARE useless to me.

3 Likes

This can be traced back to this thread: Funcom Taking a Month Off? Exploiters Win. R.I.P. Conan

The OP and everyone who agreed with him there. They and people in other threads about the the same issue are to blame. Funcom intended to keep the patch in testlive a bit longer, to find and iron out bugs.

People couldn’t wait. Funcom gave them what they wanted. Funcom giving grease to the squeaky wheel is what caused the issues. Make sure to verbally destroy such complaints in the future and we won’t have this.

1 Like

Just a suggestion …You should stop telling people what to post or not post given you are of no consequence or matter when it comes to such things. Makes you look pretty fanbois and petty.

Op is right actually this company has slid into Chris Robert’s territory of over promises and managing to not deliver what is expected.

“Wait for it the 500.1 patch will be better than ever lol. We are listening to you”…says the funcom apparatchiks.

2 Likes

TBH Stone-Spear. What are you doing here? What are you looking to achieve?

You should ask the same question of yourself cause you have been nothing but toxic towards posters when you don’t get your way sunshine.

Watched you try to derail so many posts or side track threads its pretty pathetic.

What are you doing here hoping by being a shinny knight you get some good buffs from funcom? is that why ytou shill?- to get strokes?

I should have known anyone who can back Chris Roberts though should have been ignored from the outset.

3 Likes

I’m here because I feel like I owe Funcom a debt of gratitude, because they have given the community an opportunity to actually rally behind a cause and work for something many really needed/wanted.

They knew the patch wasn’t ready, and yet we asked Funcom to release it. Now people like you ofcourse ahve to kick Funcom while it’s down.

My purpose here is to counteract any post which threatens to undo progress such as demanding “rolebacks” or reversal of the patch.

I am very specific about which threads I choose to tackle.

Any threads that report bugs, i’m cool with. But destructive and irresponsible threads like your own are the one’s i’m after.

Now your turn.

Why are you here? Or are you going to keep deflecting the question?

1 Like

I’ve already noticed a pattern - Conan Exiles seems to have just as much of a whiny, uninformed player base as any other game like it. Good luck in life.

1 Like

I think the testers that were praised so highly for bug shooting the patch, dropped the ball and did zip. Sure, some did some work, but I expect most just wanted to play new stuff and see how that worked going forward, finding problems wasn’t in peoples minds. You can’t get decent work ethic from people without paying them, you really ought to know that Funcom.

Of course, it could have been that the bugs weren’t reported intentionally because they knew that would roll out to the consoles and people are pretty pissed at the new direction Funcom took this game in.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t blame the players testing this stuff out free dlc or not , this is traditional funcom . Anyone whos followed them way before this game knows this is how they run things. AOC was a unfinished mess of a game past level 40 but rushed out the door. TSW was in shambles for many months after release. They lost majority of their player bases and almost went out of business but no one bothers to remember how many articles posted about them in the past before CE? The issue isn’t the dev team - its the higher ups who lack the willpower or intelligence to hire a quality control team whose job is to basically break the game.

Do you ever read in their articles talking about those sort of jobs? They lack the organization skills of a real studio is their issue. Until they finally realize that they cannot do this job without hiring or refocusing some of their developers into nothing but breaking their game/exploiting it etc this will just be the trend patch to patch until the game either dies to mediocre numbers or they stop releasing content because they aren’t making enough money. All you have to do is go look at their dev kit in the mod creator and see how things are organized and done to see for yourself how little work they actually do in cleaning up their own code. Just ask any modder that isn’t just calling themselves modders who change a few tables…

5 Likes