Greatswords suck after latest patch

Hi guys, I used to love Greatswords before this patch.
Now they are completely useless: you can’t complete a single combo without being interrupted by the enemy you are hitting because the hit stun duration is lower than your attack speed, and it sucks … a lot.

Also third attack of the heavy combo (you know, the 360 degrees swing) now only hits once (it used to hit twice) and, other than dealing less damage, it gives the opponent enough time to strike back and interrupt your combo.

6 Likes

I agree

3 Likes

I find it funny, that in a Conan game, greatswords become useless, and the sword of Crom nobody uses. I had always pictured conan with a big two handed sword, my mistake I guess.

2 Likes

The problem is the complete lack of stagger. It needs to be reworked into a crowd-control weapon - if you get hit by it, it should have a stagger that only allows to to dodge to escape the follow-up (to avoid stun locking).

1 Like

I agree

1 Like

Okay, I changed my barbarian’s weapon and I am happy again I can fight a group with a decent chance of surviving. Not telling which one, just in case it gets revised and changed too. I picture my barbarian with daggers (to me the most effective weapon) and just get a laugh everytime.

1 Like

Yeah, a two-handed sword is kind of iconic with our favorite barbarian - even though in the original stories he used a pretty wide variety of sword-shaped objects, from scimitars and cutlasses to one-handed arming swords to bigger two-handed swords, and even an axe on a couple of occasions.

I guess it’s largely Arnold with that curiously short two-handed sword that has shaped our visual idea of Conan.

2 Likes

I agree the greatsword is slow and After the First attack every Pike Hits you and stun. Also every Hit ist slow but don’t even knock back or stun someone but greataxt is op just pin 2 win stun everyone that get hit

1 Like

Agree. At the very least, there needs to be hyper armor to compensate for slow swings with only little to moderate stagger. Now it is clearly unbalanced, so much that one wonders how the change made it out of testing and QA.

Also, pikes are now too niche. Every single move is a thrust, seemingly because that is their “defining” characteristic. While true for actual pikes, historically polearms are not limited to thrusting weapons. There are halbers, glaives, voulges… with moves for stabbing, but also cutting, cleaving, hooking, even sweeping like a staff. Need some variety.

2 Likes

The KB in the end of the light attack was my favorite. The third heavy attack flowed so well with the light attack finisher.

1 Like

Besides, the new animations, especially the first for the heavy attack, are just out of character now.
It looks like we wield baseball bats and we swing them around.
Don’t know who crafted that animation but, surely it is a huge baseball fan (after all norwegian baseball is world class right ?) and has no clue how a greatsword actually looks like.
Funny how Funcom put lot of effort into “fixing” things that are working well, actually breaking them, and instead totally ignore things that are truly broken since the begin.

2 Likes

To be fair, I really like the new combo, it just has to be faster (it already has Hyper Armor, but it lasts less than the heavy combo attack speed, so even the most stupid NPCs can break your combo).

Also I love the new Heavy Strike that replaced kicks (I know we already had it as the 1st attack of the heavy combo): it deals tons of damage and connects pretty good. Again, greatwords just need more attack speed and maybe some stagger.

1-2 days of tests should be enough to solve this problem. Another way could be to temporarily restore the old combo for Greatswords until the Devs find a suitable solution to this problem.

I really appreciate their intentions and I believe that, once fixed, greatwords would be REALLY great, but right now they are broken :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t think it is the animations themselves but the speed they are carried out at. Just a liiiiittle bit faster would make a huge change, not sure how much, it would need some couple of days of testing as you said to reach a compromise between high damage of the sword and speed at swinging it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.