Decided to share a possible melee build that allows to do some competitive DPS on the hardest bosses in HR - bosses 4 and 6 (Traumadriver, Machine Tyrant). The following video shows some E10 footage, but the gameplay can be replicated on any elite difficulty.
Here is the build:
- Voltaic Shunt of Alacrity mk3
- Pneumatic Maul of Alacrity mk3 (Any affix can be used on Traumadriver as long as the offhand ranged weapon has Alacrity mk3. However, Alacrity on the hammer for Machine Tyrant is invaluable in order to be able to stick to the boss while it moves)
- Shriven Souls + Signet of Shattering
- Cobra Ring + Signet of Bludgeoning
- Egon Pendant + Signet of Crushing
- Iron-Sulfur Bracelet + Signet of Nemain
- Cold Silver Dice + Signet of Laceration
- Brawler’s Belt + Signet of Time & Space
- Razor Fossil + Signet of Quickness
- Queen Ranavalona IV
- Sarah Skelly
- Laughing Jenny (swapped over Oleg Yablokov)
All glyphs are maxed out elaborate, except on the weapons, which have intricate fierce (therefore, missing some 0.2% crit chance, which is negligible).
The key components to succeed on movement-heavy fights as a melee DPS are, in this order of importance:
- Movement speed boosts.
- Ranged offhand.
Movement speed boosts include, in this order of importance:
- Signet of Quickness
- Alacrity (mostly for Machine Tyrant)
- Fast and Furious (hammer passive)
The gameplay on the video isn’t flawless (some globals have been missed, as well as 1 Pneumatic Maul proc and 2 Voltaic Shunt procs on MT), so some further iterations could eventually allow to improve the charts. However, being melee on Machine Tyrant is also quite dependent on the tank, notably for Crystallized Blaze placements that could represent a significant damage loss in case of a miss (if the tank moves the boss unnecessarily, for instance).
Finally, i can tell that, while playing melee DPS requires some significant extra work to match ranged DPS on those fights, this is all a matter of investment (both in terms of gear and experience) that pays off - playing as a melee DPS on Machine Tyrant is the most fun DPS experience i’ve ever had in the game so far!
PS: congratulations to @Kahleon for his first HR E10 completion, and his outstanding first time cleansetanking!