I don't want to be a catering service. Can't we just have thrall & pet decay and cap?

I love what you guys are doing with combat and pets… but this feeding thing…
I don’t want to manage a restaurant. That’s usually something people get paid to do in RL.

Can’t we just have a server customizeable tribe thrall cap (50 by default?) of deployed units (crafters not included) and 50 pets with decay timers (default 6 days)? I’m guessing this would make PvP a bit more fair and strategic too, without the tedium.

We’re exiles, not waiters. Generals and kings don’t have “catering” in their job descriptions.
Thralls are not domesticated animals who have forgotten how to survive.
I can’t compute this into my head canon… People would rather break orders and ranks than starve to death, unless it’s for loved ones or ideals. Then again…they don’t talk much. Reminds me of lobotomized WestWorld hosts. Thing is, WestWorld hosts don’t need to eat anything.

This feeding idea looks good on paper, as long as your not the one having to actually perform the idea for the next few months.

“Then don’t play” is a cruel answer to attachment.

• Give this feeding thing a chance.
  • I don’t wanna feed. Implement Thrall caps and decay.
  • Don’t change anything. I’ll live with deteriorating server performance.
  • Just add Thrall & Pet decay (equal to maximum structure decay).
  • Got an idea! See below.

0 voters

9 Likes

That will be argument for the fanboi base.
They moved the goal post after release…This game was so far from a release before it left EA, it makes me sick. This is the type of nonsense they should have added during EA. The hits just keep coming. Getting real hard to log in every day, and play, when this is what passes the desk at FunCom.

7 Likes

To me instead of arguing and fighting over the thrall feeding system i wanted to unite the community over suggestions and ideas they would like to see added to it to make it better so people like @Tascha can take it back to the devs.

1 Like

THANK YOU for adding the poll!

I don’t want to feed thralls. I might be okay feeding pets, as that is a net-new system. Incorporate/extend the decay timer that already works for structures to placed combat thralls.

I, too, don’t want to be a thrall catering service. This is an unreasonable change, and has a very large impact on the way the game is played. The thrall system was complete at the Conan Exiles launch. There was nothing in any notes or game information that stated otherwise.

6 Likes

Adding any kind of FedEx-style or time sink maintenance to the combat thralls is not acceptable in my book. Also, for what it’s worth, I have zero faith that any player recommendations will actually influence the game designers at this point. Their “vision” for the game has already made it to TestLive. It is as good as being etched into stone.

2 Likes

I doubt this is their vision for their game as i have noticed them making changes to the game to make people happy as i notice this on several occasions. Plus this issue is literally dividing the community and all i am trying to do is reunite all of us to get something we all can agree on.

1 Like

After viewing their youtube video where they showcased the thrall feeding I don’t really like what I see either.

The thrall feeder shouldn’t give a whole stack of food to each thrall that’s hungry! It should only consume one. Food will rot and if you have archer thralls that’s already a couple slots filled with weaponry and arrows… If we also add a slot for food and another for rotten meat that’s seriously limiting their inventory!

I was fine with having it on pets as I don’t intend to have many other than purely for cosmetic reasoning, but for thralls it’s stupid.

2 Likes

What if they made it so that if you don’t feed the thrall it’s effects are diminished. They won’t die or some nonsense, but they won’t be as useful; example being that performers won’t heal corruption. So to have your thralls work for you, you gotta give them more of a ‘treat’ at times, else they would be exhausted. I think thralls are individuals who are able to feed themselves, when you’re not around, take is as an imaginative thing because personally I have no idea what my thralls do for 5 days at a time while I’m adventuring.

2 Likes

It’s what my poll is doing. Fixing 2 problems with 1 poll and inviting people to have better ideas.

Ok so… get this.

Some of us (like me) think “It’s fine… even if they do implement feeding system, i’ll be ok with my 300 fish traps, even if it is a total chore… i’ll be fine.”

Well … now you need to use insects as bait for fishes. Now even the fishes need feeding.

5 Likes

I like it . It’s solves a few issues including capping army size. We have enough problems with giant foundation “castles” littering every corner of the map. Usually with 100-300 thralls laying around. You should have to maintain all of this on a regular basis or kiss it goodbye. There needs to be some sort of balance here . I also wish they would have a minimum build distance from certain areas so we don’t have giant fortresses being built basically on top of for example new asgarth.

I think the reason for that thinking about it might be to balance black ice and harden brick building pieces as i think i remember some people saying the black ice structures were to easy to make compared to hardened brick ones.

How on earth does this balance T3 building components? And you say you think you remember, which suggests you might not have very much time put into this game. This whole idea of a feeding system is garbage.

I would have answered Hrukk with:

“Nerfing ichor production only makes black ice even easier”

But I think he answered out of context. Probably wrong post or something.

What i mean by is the process to create a block of each. As you can use unappetizing shell fish
To make ichor by cooking it or even getting off spiders though @Shadoza has a point it just made these two materials all the more rare as well as more valued. :man_facepalming:

Ya know, while doing my rounds on live server it has crossed my mind that I can disband my current deployed garrison…and deploy 4 thralls from the box (I have 234 thralls in storage) whenever there’s a purge, then disband those 4 after the purge is done.

Furthermore, I can build a lonesome wheel as far north as possible to act as a purge magnet/decoy.

This will save me the feeding.

This undermines the spirit of the game, but it’s also the sort of behavior this implementation will reward.

2 Likes

I didn’t ask for a thrall feeding requirement or system. I don’t want it. In fact, I hate it and every alternative version of it suggested. I don’t want to babysit thralls. I want to build, explore, raid, and fight. The thrall feeding system is just tedium to waste my time. I also fear that, in the end, Conan will lose a lot of players because if it.

I want to see Funcom shelve the thrall feeding system completely, at least until all thrall mechanics and functions are fixed. Maybe then we can talk about adding something as dumb as having to slop the help like farm animals.

9 Likes

Judging by the balance pass they have on testlive now? They don’t intend you to have 50 thralls and 50 pets per player. Closer to 2 of each. Which I’d be okay with – if they’d get rid of offline purge altogether and stop sending legendary world bosses as part of purges.

1 Like

Fixing a problem by introducing another seems to be the plan.

1 Like

That’d definitely make “disposable thralls” a thing. Cheaper to use them once then throw away, than it is to upkeep one.

“Social Dumping” to a whole new level.

3 Likes