Ideas and suggestions to help performance

, ,

Hello everyone,

I have been noticing the recent performance deration has been bothering a lot of people as well as stopping people from playing the game. So I decided to open this thread to gather everyone`s ideas as to what could be causing this deration and ideas that we can give to the developers on how it can be fixed. To be honest I want to untie the community over this so we can allow our voices to be heard and put our thinking caps on as I know many people love this game like me and want this game to get better so I am thinking here is the best place to start, so I do want to listen to all the ideas that everyone has. Thanks.

3 Likes

Every time my clan logs on the game appears to work fine… Well as good as it has.
As soon as event log is opened it grinds to a halt. Bases don’t render, can interact with anything, 10-20 second delay on mining a stone node or not being able to at all.
While I appreciate the extra info it gives me… Or used to give me, its trying to process far to much and everything else stops as a result.
I’ve gotten around this by just not opening event log at all.

It does sound like the event log is using up more processing power, as that could explain the recent deration of performance.

Thanks Hrukk :slight_smile: We’re having someone look into this. As far as I know it shouldn’t be the event log, but we’re following up with our coders for more information.

Well, I can somewhat confirm that the event log might possibly be a part of this.

Whenever I open it (for the first time in a play session), if the server’s busy (10+ people), my game will start having lag issues, rubberbanding, structures not loading etc for a while following it.

I can only speculate as to what is cause and what is effect here, but it appears there’s something going on with the log.

1 Like

My experience with performance downgrade has nothing to do with opening the log. I never open the log, and still have the server stutters and freezes (sometimes short, sometimes 3-4 seconds). I’m more inclined to think the freezes and stutters have more to do with the graphic rendering distance change, I mean, if I am not mistaken in the latest updates there was a significant change that makes the game reduce the distance at which the things in the World that load while you wander around, be it npcs, rocks and trees, whatever, and their animations. I’m currently based in the north highlands, where there are plenty more trees, rocks, and assets (?) In the area, I will be going south to less asset-populated areas and see if the problem persists.

Edit: can we keep this thread constuctive please? Share your experience and why or what are the synthomps you think are causing performance issues, and of course if you make changes to settings or whatnot that helped increase performance in your servers. Thanks!

2 Likes

Suggestion:
On restart of the server (which then takes longer than until now) there might be looked for seriously inactive players and delete them off the server.
This game is buy to play and thus there are probably several thousands of toons on each one of the official servers.
I just logged back in to the previously pve-c me and a clanmate of mine started on release day until it became full pvp (I totally tilted back then and yes I do feel bad about that.).
Our toons were still there.

Dont the devs think that might have to do with performance a well?
We are on the way of hitting 6 months of the server not being wiped anymore.
There had been serious issues with building below the map, which was up to decay to fix.
But all the toons have stayed. There could be how many toons on each server? 60.000? (As that was the peak.)
How much would a single server be slowed down by 60.000 toons?
(I guess 10.000 is more likely; at least for the currently active servers since most are dead.)

Just have toons which have been last logged in one or two months ago be deleted. (I think toons logged in are written down somewhere in server files? So it should be possible?)

I might be wrong, but couldnt that already help with performance?

Also about the log.

Has there been a difference how the log was generated prior to the new one and now?
I mean is the server always looking back into what information that player is being allowed to see?

How has that been in the past?
Maybe that could be reworked?

Like lets say, a 60 day period timeout, that removed the data from a player inactive in a server for that time?, I think it’s a good idea, worth a try at least. The less data, I would assume the less resource needs for the servers, would it work that way?. Oh and while we’re at it, all items placed in the World by that player, if they are tagged somehow and tied to a player’s name could also be removed from server.

Which happens with the removal of that toon anyway - since there is no owner anymore. Well I hope it would.

Okay. True. I guess it’s deleting the toon by the player him/herself deleting his buildings too. Then again decay should take care of them…

I remember seeing no-owner items, like fish traps. Not sure if player got removed and items where unlinked or something, or if it is a fish traps bug.

Technically removing the data would remove the character since a user’s character data can be comprised of data packages in folders in a way.

Thanks as i like to get as much info as possible in order to help out as well as to have people offer suggestions to help out.

1 Like

The decay system and pets/thrall hunger was created specifically to clean up servers and remove old data. Unconscious bodies are only loaded up by the server if they’ve been online the past week, so in theory it shouldn’t be a problem. Old character data isn’t being used by the server unless needed (like if you log in again after a month, for example)

It was reworked to include more data than before. The coder who made the changes is looking into if the two are connected :slight_smile:

Hm, okay.
So when one is passing some area with old toons, those files wont be read at all?
(Does every toon get his own file? Instead of listing all of them in one? I dont know about this stuff but I would have imagined all being in a table or something like that. Then maybe it could indeed have slown the server down?)

So might that just be linked to possibly old data corrupting the newer (incl current one) builds and thus creating more errors and thus lag? Something like that?
I mean a) with combat update having been uploaded to the live servers back then, a huge ton of bugs appeared which werent there before on testlive. And b) the launch client broke a ton of stuff too.
Maybe corrupted is the wrong term… Maybe more an compatibility issue? Something along these lines?

I know that much. Eventlog gets spammed with like everything. :joy:
But something is wrong with the eventlog. i.e. mine doesnt load in prime time at all. (Blank window, telling its the event log but showing nothing at all.)
So I guessed maybe there is a difference how the old one was generated and the new one is? That was my point.
Just a muggle guessing. :joy:

1 Like

One of the worst problems me and my clan get along with many other gamers on server 3113 is screen freeze by boxes or opening your inventory in base but that doesn’t compare to the blue screen of death thats the suffering of ps4 gamers on Conan alike just last week a clan member blue screen getting water when making 500 bombs and his character kept moving and went through the green barrier.

When i hear blue screen i usually.think of a system crash as i think one of the moderators explained why it was happening. @Cattibria maybe you can help?

I am more familiar with the “Blue Screen of Death” on PC’s. These will usually have an error number of some sort that may or may not return a hit with google. The bad thing about these errors is that they are more likely some type of hardware issue and not the software. If you are the tech type of person, you can decode the address that is in the message. It is a hexadecimal number and is usually a memory location address. To figure out where in the system it is will take detailed technical information that is generally not available to the public with proprietary systems like the PS4 and Xbox. Diagnostic software that is readily available to PC Technicians can be used to find the fault in a PC. The bad thing about modern PC’s is that they have memory all over the place to speed the systems up.

Fair point though thank you for sharing this information.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.