Imagine Vendhya

I’m not too talented, but I’d like to make Funcom understand that a Vendhya DLC would be wonderful!

6 Likes

I approve of this.

There is so much more on the subject.
Vendhya, right there with Khitai, are my two most cherished places in Hyborian Age.

https://hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/vendhya.htm

1 Like

I’d love to see a Vendhyan DLC. The Modiphius RPG Rulebook “Adventures in an Age Undreamed of” gives Mughal India as the real world equivalent of Vendhya. It is a very rich culture with more than enough to get your imagination fired up.

(I’m not an expert on the culture itself, but this is what I came up with after a quick search)

Some examples of artists interpretations of Mughal armor:

cc6fae23aa69deafa54591301b45136a

Mughal Fashion:

31c899a5c6b1589723aa009d8f76fe7d

Mughal architecture:

4 Likes

A dlc might be interesting. Or perhaps expanding the map a little bit more to the northeast or south, with a Turanian city or possibly Vendyan, not much different from Sepamaru. If Funcom truly hadn’t given up on The Exiled Lands.

1 Like

Thanks @Chaonike! Like I said, I’m not an expert on Mughal India and the Modiphius RPG Rulebook is by no means a definitve authority. I disagree with them on several of these real world equivalents. For example, they compare Nemedia to the Holy Roman Empire, that’s Germany and part of Italy during a period from the 800’s to 1806. That’s nearly a thousand years of history and there is a BIG difference in culture and technology between the 800’s and 1806. Funcom also doesn’t seem to take these real world equivalents very seriously. Modiphius describes Aquilonia as Medieval France. Again, that can be around 500 or around 1500. Big difference. But Funcom decided (in Age of Conan as well as in Exiles) that Aquilonia was actually more like the Roman Empire. A change for the better, I think. I like the whole feel of ancient antiquity. Of course, there are exceptions like Poitain which have a much more medieval feel about them. If you don’t mind me asking, what would be a more insular Indian esthetics look like (i.e. before the Arabian incursion)?

I agree with Chaonike- I would hope any Vendhyan DLC would take more inspiration from classical India (say the India of Porus that fought Alexander the Great) or from Dravidian India. Leave the Mughals out of it IMO.

1 Like

And if the Vendhyan dlc rolls in, I want a Kali type of God. But the nature of Kali is somehat similar to Derketo that it’s hard to justify putting it up. Unless it’s just chaotic which is Yog’s area of influence.

Of course, it might be Ganesh and it then become similar to Mitra or Set.

Also, yes, I echo Vendhyan culture to he much more similar to classical India, than Mughal. I want my Mahabaratha, Rama and Krishna references.

1 Like

I would dig through the actual lore of the Hyborian world and perhaps Lovecraft to find the type of deity your looking for. I don’t think the devs are going to (nor should they) just invent a God to fit the DLC that doesnt already exist.

All things considered, while it’s not channeling Kali… Asura might be appropriate for such a DLC.

I think a new map with vendhaya and khitan and turanian would be nice

The Mughal Empire grew out of descendants of the Mongol Empire who were living in Turkestan in the 15th century. They had become Muslims and assimilated the culture of the Middle East, while keeping elements of their Far Eastern roots. The architecture is more oriental than Arabian.
The Indus civilization was a Bronze Age civilization in the northwestern regions of South Asia lasting from 3300 BCE to 1300 BCE.
The Sumerian civilization dates back to 5000 BCE and the first city ever built was Uruk, far older than any city in the Indus.

1 Like