Is Funcom going to listen?

It is different, and not fun. Lot’s of people can’t dodge, they turned a useful mechanic into more or less a useful or even a potentially “trap” feature.

In any normal game you can dodge, it’s a timing thing, you are rewarded for expert timing by not taking damage, by being in a better position to attack, ect…

However by nerfing it so hard that using it becomes the wrong move for NEARLY any situation makes it not fun, it takes away something you could do, and instead replaces it with something worse that will likely get you heavily punished or killed.

The dodge roll gives you no distance, and even with decent timing I still take large chunks of damage. Either way I don’t get to participate in defense.

All the combat changes have been pretty ■■■. I used to be able to use longswords, but the animation changes were so bad I had to use War Axes (which are fun and fine, but I miss Long Swords, they are so different I cannot use them)

Every patch the combat got a little less fun, a bit more of a CHORE (which is the word you want to avoid)

With the dodge roll change I now instead of dodging and taking less damage now take a ton of damage way more often, and I die way more often.

I’m dying to level 2 thralls, level freaking 2 thralls.

They get a hit on me, I get a cripple, I get combo stun locked.

I go try and grab my body, die in attempt where if I had dodge I could have gotten out safely.

Proceed to repeat this process for half an hour as my body inside Asgarth is being held hostage, all my steel and my only suit of armor atm guarded. But with a roll? I can get it and get out fine. Now? I’m losing tons of time.

I guess the main point I’m making is this new dodge roll makes the game not fun, it makes it more work/tedium based, and it takes one of the worst aspects of Conan and cranks it up to 11.

I really dislike it when developers have knee jerk reactions to over buffing something or needing to nerf something a little instead nerf it into the ground.

There is no bloody damn reason other than wanting a heavy (and forced, which is sad) meta change to heavy armor.

Now I love me the look of heavy armor, especially Warchief. But I like being nimble.

The problem is Funcom took an entire style out of play.

You could be the nimble dodger, you could dance around several attacks.

Now all I get to do is hope and pray that instead of aggroing the 6-8 warriors in Asgarth I only get 1, or maybe 2.

Hopefully they listen to the fans and change it back eventually.

4 Likes

To answer the question I think they are gonna listen but not to the people asking to change it back.

Here is my experience of the patch. I will enumerate points just make it easier to understand. Also I will only list the things I have tested and experienced

1. Roll : the roll is very good but it takes time to get used to it. It’s good from the point that you dont take damage while in the animation and while it doesn’t create a massive gap between you and your opponent, you are still able to dodge as easy because of the change in momentum, enemy also has to move forward to gain ground!

2. movement and momentum: I must admit at first I thought "what is this ? " feels like I’m carrying a sac of bricks … but after few days of playing it feels again kinda natural just that bit of a push before running, I was even able to dodge arrows with careful timing!

3)Falling : falling is not fun but hey you are falling after all is not meant to be fun ! And thought me a valuable lesson if you wanna drop of the side of a cliff like spiderman you must be careful and take abit of notice before jumping after all you are not spiderman!

1. Fighting: no thrall has giving me any increase trouble they are the same as before “no challenge” . Players I think because everyone is in the same plane field it just the same as before, if you decided to run you can as before but if you make a mistake you pay with your life, I think that is just fair!

2. Horses : god damm I love the horses nothing bad to say about them but choose your saddle and food wisely and dont let your horse go hungry!

3. mounted combat: meh… is great fun if your unfortunate victim is walking but if they are on a horse and you hit each other with lance you both dismount (assuming you got similar hp) then you got no stamina which causes you to try get on horse fast and run away for a moment, Which leaves you back on square one. Not sure what suggestions to make to improve that!

4. Thrall system /Old thralls: damm I hate the work but damm I love the new thralls and the fact that what you feed them shape them into what you would like them to be and the armor choice further reinforces that! Just brilliant! Old thralls meh free hide !

5. Trebuchet: mother of god 1 hour really? A Decrease in timer to half I think would be ideal. cost of boulder is fine at 250 rocks as you dont need twine plus you dont need to repair it constantly! Fire barrage need to be tweak for damage to be slightly bit better than boulder maybe AOE damage increase!

This all I have tested so far . I wanna test bubble v trebuchet, archery on horse back , just to note I saw a guy fighting with a bow yesterday they made so viable it could be a fun built for many !

I think the changes are positive, I think 1 or 2 things need tweaking but apart from that I’m really looking forward to finish work get back home and get my horse to lv 20, kill everything in my path ! :grin:

3 Likes

Well I have been watching and the amount of people posting on bugs and how they do not enjoy this patch and the bugs that came with it is huge. People who have not posted in a year now coming on forums to post about game crashing, thralls not leveling up, errors and more bugs.

Seems many are coming to complain, the metadata should show that yes people are on the servers as they have no choice as with all the bugs they have to be on or they lose it all. Will they listen Funcom, well they sure do not seem to be for the last 4 days. So yes more on game trying to save what they have built up as with all the Bugs they have no choice. Did I say bugs enough maybe a Funcom employee with see those bug reports and maybe if we are lucky we will get more then “yes we are aware of the problem” from Funcom well if you are all aware, FIX THEM!!

We all come back even when we lose it all or have to rebuilt whole game but the bugs, you all know what you do when you have bugs you fumigate. I have personally reinstalled twice, validated three times, I have restarted game vanilla but the bugs are not gone, fighters thralls have archer perks, archer thralls have fighter perks, great archer thralls are near sighted , I mean holy crap ( again can not say the word Sh*t ) really. Its disheartening, it makes you wonder why they have not put out the hot fix even though they said they had one but no idea when it will come out.

The amount of bug reports from PS4 and Xbox alone make you feel bad for those players. Servers unable to start, ctds and errors stopping many from all platforms from playing. This is a mess and no one answers us, no one from Funcom gives us anything as to when the bugs, the crashes the servers unable to be played on will be fixed let alone the crap they gave us in this update , the BUGS. Really I think most people just want an answer as to what they are doing to fix the bugs and make it so everyone can play this game. No one expects them to fix it over night but they do expect they paid their money for a game they enjoy for those that have their money to give a crap , ( guess sh*t is too bad a word to use on a game forum that had boobs bigger then peoples heads in its game lmao ) what its players say. Sorry but tired of bug work arounds ,tired of reading the reports of people losing things they have worked weeks for, so a bit salty that no one from Funcom seems to care. Just sad!!!

“community” seems pretty torn up and divided about this.

I like the changes. I hope funcom ignores this wave of feedback regarding movement/rolls because it would seem like a step back in my opinion.

I like being afraid of a pack of hyenas… and I think I noticed 8 NPCs attacking me at the same time for the first time ever.

1 Like

I think is very easy to open our mouth to complaint but to be objective is not so easy !

Let’s be clear I value your opinion and understand your discontent but that doesn’t mean they dont care ,if anything they care abit too much ,they are always here answering questions trying to please everyone more than I can say for other companies!

See here we go again, saying that having a complaint is not being not objective.

Where did I say that?

Lol the question from the TS … [Is Funcom going to listen?]

No. So sorry for the fanboys inhere :stuck_out_tongue:

The Elders know.

I am still playing because I am testing out everything but I will certainly stop unless the movement becomes more fluid again. Moving around and rolling feels so unnatural right now, like moving in slow motion for a few seconds.

1 Like

I mean if you got the guy running then chase him down and kill him or if not then it was your fault for letting him get away. Either way you won the engagement and at the end of the day you can always follow him home and take his stuff. I never got the issue and I don’t think limiting movement is ever a good solution.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize that in a fight that running away was an option.

People in battle often retreat if they are in a losing battle. And, like mentioned above, there are ways to counter. We have throwing weapons, and bows.

Did you do it on pvp? Did you chase people? If they wanted to get away they would , you mostly couldn’t prevent it on the old system. Only chance you had was hit a throwing axe or hit the legs with and arrow. With a player zig zaging its not so easy as it sounds. Besides even before that it was only a matter of turning back and running.

Great post, well said.

I have checked my logs, and at this point on an official server I have dispatched 141 followers. 26 remain, either already-placed as upgrades, or as lega-SHEs. If you catch my drift. Poor Eina, I’ll miss her so much. Plus all my cats. :crying_cat_face:

Just mho, in the past, in PvP, you set up the treb then scout around to hide bedrolls and such. Lots of busy-work during the attack prep. I don’t honestly see this as an impediment, especially as trebs are so much easier to place.

Just a gentle reminder that 2 of those days were a weekend. Everyone deserves time off. Having been in the game dev industry, I’m willing to bet some of them were even working over the weekend :frowning:

Look, I’m extremely unhappy with all the bugs, but I really feel the need to ask you one question: do you have any idea whatsoever how hard it can be to nail down a bug? A game like Conan Exiles is probably not the most complex kind of software there is, but it’s pretty high on the list.

Let’s not forget that we’re bitching about movement and thrall cap and dodge rolls, but there are crashes they have to fix and those can be hellishly hard to diagnose and fix. And many of the other bugs are less serious than crashes, but more serious than feature tweaks and hard to diagnose. Games, in general, are especially prone to having heisenbugs in them.

It does. It also makes me feel horrible for the devs. Ask any dev out there whether they would like to rush out an improperly tested update just because the company promised they would deliver a DLC to season pass owners before a certain deadline, and guess what answer they’ll give you.

Now the update is out and it’s even buggier than Funcom’s usual standard and the holidays are looming ever closer and guess what’s going on over there? Just try to imagine how stressed out they must be.

From what I’ve seen, the Conan Exiles team does genuinely seem to care. Their efforts might be misguided at times, the results of those efforts might often lack in polish, but they do try. This update? Maybe I’m harsh, but I would blame the “suits”, more than the devs.

You are quite rude. The forums are here and designed to give players somewhere to leave their own personal feedback. They are not here for finger flexers to take swipes at others for using the forums as intended.

1 Like

Give it time. If the vast majority of current players are vocal enough than chances are funcom will listen. It’s only been a few days though. Some of those weekend. Even programmers and designers need a break. Patience man.

Gas arrows, explosive arrows…yes Ive given chase before. Lots. Did it frustrate me? No, its part of combat. The only thing I didn’t like was when they would jump into water, since they removed the ability to attack someone while in water.

1 Like

After so much feedback I also think that Funcom will listen and change the system again.
They tried to balance PvP in the completely wrong way (by punishing the non-PvP players) and it backfired big time.

I wouldn’t say they rushed out the patch, but just didn’t push it back due to the bugs in test live testing. They announced the changes about a month before patch, which means they have been internally testing for a bit. They ran into (guessing here) deadlines due to DLC and promised free weekends. Those are coordinated with 3rd parties (Steam, Sony, and Xbox) so changing those dates may have been extremely hard (if not costly due to contracts etc.).

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I meant by “rushed out”. It’s not in a state where it should have been pushed out to live. You’re most likely right about all those reasons, but they don’t change the fact that this update has been even buggier and less polished than Funcom’s usual.

And again, I don’t blame the devs. In fact, I empathize with them, because this looks like a contractual/scheduling snafu. But I do hope they manage to squeeze out a few bugfixes and tweaks in time. And no, I don’t think they should jeopardize their holiday time due to that. If they make it with the fixes, great! If not, fück it, they’ll do it when they come back. Everyone needs their time off.

1 Like