Is Funcom planning mass server shut downs?

Server Transfer-Building Piece Pickup-Declining population

Seems to indicate one thing in my mind that funcom is planning to close many of its empty (or relatively low population) servers, it would not suprise me in the least if this is now on the horizon and this is what these systems are being implemented towards.

5 Likes

I have a really crazy theory. It’s completely bonkers, so much so that I’m not sure whether I should post something like that. I’m gonna post it anyway, but you might sit down before you read it, because it’s a real shocker. Ready? Okay, here goes.

I think they’re giving us players some of the features that we’ve been asking for since forever.

Borderline insane, right? Imagine, a game studio listening to players’ feedback and giving them stuff they want! Surely, I must be delusional.

(I’m not, and don’t call me Shirley.)

On a more serious note, I don’t see any reason why we can’t just see this as one more QoL improvement that players have asked for. Plus, it makes it even easier to comply with the server rules: if your base is suppressing the spawn of an NPC or a world boss, now you can move your stuff without having to farm for replacement materials.

9 Likes

well that theory is pretty crazy that after 3 years they start doing that as an absolute change of pace out of nowhere for no reason instead of a multitude of changes no one ever asked for.

but time will tell all I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right. It was really tough these last 3 years, we never got anything we asked for. Instead, they threw in stuff nobody ever asked for, like mounts and offline mode and character re-customization and visible sheathed weapons and being able to drag thralls while riding and faster elevators and new dungeons and vaulted ceilings and all those DLCs and bugfixes.

Oh, and don’t get me started on combat and PVP. They never do anything about that, and when they do listen to PVP players, it’s only to some, not to all. Remember back when some people were saying that poke and roll needs no skill and sucks, and others were saying poke and roll is great and that people should just git gud? It’s infuriating how Funcom didn’t listen to both groups and did what they all wanted! And they just keep nerfing stuff, even though PVP players never ask for it. I don’t get why they do that.

Really sucks how they never listen to us.

7 Likes

I guess they could be, after all on a long enough time line the survival rate for anyone becomes zero. Every game with company ran servers will eventually go dark.

That being said I don’t see any of the things here being a sign of them going on a mass closing spree. As CodeMage pointed out server transfers have been a long requested addition

It’s easy for people to forget that Conan Exiles is FCs biggest hit ever. They are still providing very regular changes to the game, with another DLC on the horizon and more work already in the pipe. I don’t believe if the game was hemorrhaging players and no longer profitable they would still be throwing money at it.

There are likely plenty of players who aren’t always active but still keep coming back to play more or check out new stuff.

The average gamer doesn’t even finish games that take dozens of hours to complete, people who put hundreds or thousands of hours into one given game without taking considerable breaks are the minority.

4 Likes

I didn’t make that claim at all? I said every game with company ran servers will eventually go dark.

Of course I could have been even more general and said every game will eventually go dark. Or I could have said that all things man made are transient, the entire existence of mankind isn’t even a blink on the cosmic timeline. Life is a war against time that can never be won.

However, none of those things lead me to believe that FC is going to shut down it’s CE public servers anytime (relatively) soon

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.