Is Quiche Lore Friendly?

My dreams are haunted as of late. I close my eyes and all I see is quiche. Is it real? Is it a fever dream delirum brought on by subsisting off a quicheless diet? We may never know.

So I pose this question to you, exiles; is quiche canon?

Let’s start off with what is quiche? In our world it’s a pastry filled with eggs, cheese, and meat/vegetables commonly eaten in French, Italian, and English cultures.

So how does this translate to the Hyborian Age?

Well, we can’t go off the timelines. Anachronism are plentiful, given this pre-ice age setting where civilization flourishes with agriculture, sailing, and steel production. It strikes me as odd that an era so advanced for it’s place in the timeline wouldn’t have more complex foods to accommodate.

How about the ingredients?

Well, we know already bread is possible. Pastry crust isn’t too far of a stretch off that. Meat? Check. Eggs? Check. Cheese? Well that’s where things get tricky.

We as exiles don’t have cheese, but it’s not impossible. In New Asgarth, they have domesticated goats. Sure, it could be for the meat - but it could also be for their milk. The technology and understanding of making cheese and butter would feasibly be possible in this time, so it’s not crazy to assume it’s something doable.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this? Is quiche a yes or no? Personally, I’m unsure. All the pieces fall into place for it, but given it’s absence it’s hard to definitively say.

4 Likes

I’d say it’d certainly fit within the pseudo-roman constructs of Aquilonia and the other core Hyborian nations. If you think about the sorts of feasts described by some of the classical authors, quiche or something quite like it probably wouldn’t seem too out of place - it’s not all roasted hunks of meat, for the aristocracy there was an emphasis on fairly heavily prepared dishes. So, lore friendly,? Yeah, I’d guess so. Now, is it canon? That’s a whole different issue :wink:

2 Likes

That’s sorta what I’m thinking too. We know mainly from the accounts of Conan that his diet is mainly just meat with a side of more meat, but he’s also described as barbaric even for his time. That isn’t wholly indicative of the rest of the world, but without any confirmation it’s still purely speculative

2 Likes

First of all you are a computer wizard, so you can very easily upload a photo of this delicatessen you suggest to enter in the main game.
What I see in this simple suggestion is to many gaming possibilities. You know that sometimes, farming can be done the main reason of your gaming time.
So…
Goats will become the new farming meta.
A farming system on goats to provide you milk, meat, leather, fur, bones and poo ofcurse :rofl:.
It will demand some of your day time, but the gaining outcome is obvious.
It is a relaxing gaming possibility, that will provide happy hours to pve players and role play.
YES I love the idea, please upload a photo, thank you.

2 Likes

This reminds me of what @Croms_Faithful posted in my thread, they had an idea similar to what you’re describing here.

4 Likes

I hear you, maybe not being haunted by dream of quiche.

Sometime ago, I had posted about my thoughts on expanding the food recipes and possible harvesting inclusions. There are certainly foul and roast birds legs would seem like an obvious one, add spice and you’ve got hot wings, and so on. More fish recipes, too. There is no dairy whatsoever and there are plenty of goats, but more importantly you can domesticate deer, which are mammals and nurse their young. So that is already in place if needed.

I always thought there would some sort of desire from at least a certain number of players for an expanded kitchen or stove facility, maybe two cooks working on a larger stove, one main cook and a saucier, like a food service type stove that could feed a larger group, kind of like the Garrison Benches for armorer and blacksmith. Could’ve offered new recipes with the DLCs, Yamatai comes to mind with a big emphasis on fish preparation. There seems to be no usage of greens, which would be great for salads and vegetable based things. I mean there is plant fiber, but seaweed for seaweed salad, etc…

I always had fun making the recipes and my clanmates always appreciate the stocked fridge with all the good stuff to eat when out and about. There is so much that could’ve, or could be done on this.

A similar topic I recently saw, which I had also mentioned way in the past, was musician thralls, but that is for another thread.

4 Likes

I would not mind more craftable food recipes, cooking is something I do often in my own gameplay as I enjoy my character having full meals rather than eating a stack of feral flesh. I also like that meals have a longer decay timer, so additional types of meals would be up my alley.

I was actually surprised that when Funcom added new crafting stations that a new stove was not also included. I prefer the grey stone look to the new furnaces and think a similar, nicer-looking stove was looked over.

Completely agree there.

Same here, it’s probably my immersion playstyle.

I thought that thread was a great idea, I wish it would have caught more attention. I think many players just do not use the forums because I often see conversations like these suggestion threads play out in global chats on PVE servers.

1 Like

I’m assuming you mean irl? Far as I know, we can’t have deer pets. Though I really wish we could. Elk King as a pet, or even better, a mount, would be awesome!

Sorry to go off topic. I’ve never had quiche irl, so I don’t miss it in game. But I’d be fine with additional cooking recipes being added. And I’d definitely be fine with things like milk and cheese being added.

Yes, in the game. You can pick up a baby deer and put it in the animal pen for it to end up as an adult. You can then place it in the world. Not kidding, check it out.

Maybe not quiche, but I think in this thread it is being used as a metaphor for missing foods. Thinking in non-metaphor terms, maybe Mushroom and Cheese Omelet. Surely, you must have had one of those around mid-night at a local diner, with home fries and toast. But in all reality, if there was dairy in the game, we would have mushroom and cheese omelets…I’m making myself hungry.

Edit: I forgot ketchup and maybe some hot sauce on the omelet

2 Likes

It’s no metaphor, I’m driven to madness by quiche.

2 Likes

And still no photo… Don’t be afraid I live in Greece, I cannot reach your food :rofl::rofl::rofl:. Or, please shoot it before you eat it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh, I forgot there are deer on Siptah. Hate the shadows on Siptah so I haven’t done much there. Still, I doubt they become the elk king. He’s the one I want as a pet/mount.

Again, sorry to go off topic.

1 Like

Baby deer in Exiled Lands as well, in fact they are all over the place.

If you mean gazelles, I’m not sure they qualify as deer. More closely related to goats I think.

Okay, I’m not picky. Hooved, warm-blooded mammalian, still fit the profile for providing milk for dairy products.

1 Like

Lol

Ok, just don’t mix up the males with the females.

Otherwise, its not a quiche I’d wanna eat.

Conan lore takes place before the onset of the last ice age?

I think it starts around 50,000 years ago.

Yes. Howard was no expert historian by any means, but in his setting he envisioned the civilizations of man rising and falling with natural disasters. A great flood ended the Thurian age, sinking many of the old kingdoms and collapsing mankind back to near-beasthood. They slowly re-evolved and resettled, forming the Hyborian age, which in turn was ended by the real-life Ice age, and the cycle turns again onto us today