Land already claimed elevation bug

Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvE-Conflict
Region: North America

My clan and I have been building a base on the bluffs above the boundary spillway in G8/H8. After we commenced construction and put up a few structures, another clan moved in to the caves down below the spillway and built out a bunch of structures in those caves. After they did so, we have been unable to build on a good chunk of one of the bluffs, including on areas right next to other structures we have already placed. The area seems to roughly match how far back into the mountain the lower clanā€™s cave goes.

I looked this issue up throughout these forums and it seems to have been in place for some time now. this-land-is-already-claimed-inside-my-own-base/21790 is one example of a problem similar to mine from over a year ago. Is there anything that can be done about this? It seems that even preemptively placing more structures before the lower clan set up shop would have been no use because their buildings seem to have ignored our own clanā€™s land claim radius when they placed them down.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Build structures on the bluffs above Boundary Spillway in lower half of G8/H8
  2. Build structures in caves in the spillway down below the waterfalls
  3. Observe not being able to place structures on a large part of the bluffs above the waterfalls, despite the considerable distance
1 Like

I could not help but notice the ā€˜Conflictā€™ in your report. Does that mean you can destroy structures?

Regards

jim

PVE-Conflict is my server type which is a game mode that allows PVP against players at certain hours but does not allow damage against player structures by other players.

1 Like

Well, there goes that option :wink:

Best of luck at it.

Regards

jim

Rethinking this, it sounds as if the landclaim is not a sphere, but different in elevation, up vs. down? Could it actually be a cylinder?

Regards

jim

It ought to be a sphere IMO, but I guess itā€™s just as possible it is instead a cylinder (ie a flat distance on the x/y plane irrespective of z/height difference).

Thereā€™s definitely sometimes something odd going on* with land claim though, a while back we had a troll on my server who somehow managed to get his structures entangled with a friend of mineā€™s, so that the trollā€™s structures shared the decay timer of said friend, even though they were (most definitely!) not in a clan together.

*definitely sometimes somethingā€¦ hmm, certainty and extreme vagueness together, nice.

1 Like

LandClaim claims an area in an infinite column, vertically.

Recently I joined a North American PvP server and have found that players sometimes leave gaps in their umbilical cords: these tethers, tangents or extensions are meant to prevent the building of a treb or siege/jump tower. Unfortunately these players likely did not take the time to unclan a member and have him test it. I am often able to place a bedroll, then a foundation, within what would ordinarily be a quite robust landclaim. On other servers, after daily restart I can often add another piece here and there, usually starting with triangles and ending with a public declaration of WTF in chat.

It would benefit us to appeal for a LandClaim Flag or other totem that would eliminate this guesswork by creating an actual ā€œbubbleā€ of contiguous LandClaim. Plant the flag, all points inside become one claim. Flag gets killed (made of glass), enemies can do what I have done, and what your enemies are doing to you. Good luck.

3 Likes

It happened to me to exactly the same spot G8, over night some built a railroad all over the desert an up the mountain with elevators and stairs.

The landclaim thing should be different on a PVE C and PVP.

I stopped my base wall just 5 blocks from a huge stone formation around the breach. Then some guy decided that was a good spot for his 300 fishtraps. Destroys every stone and iron deposit there is puts up a shack in sandstone. Not saying I cant find stones, but it is annoying that u litterally have to undermesh and use nasty methods to not get unwanted neighbours too close to your builds.

@Barnes, I read your link and it got me thinking about undermeshing, of all things. If the land claim is unrestricted vertically, and that went through the mesh, could it be used to find exploit bases?

Regards

jim

You mean like Hyborian Minesweeper? Last year @Cauthey and I did this to discover a Jungle Base that wasnā€™t quite kosher. On a private server after ghosting for a while, Iā€™ll fly around with a large wheel or maybe a taming pen. Youā€™re right though, if itā€™s only got sky above, thereā€™s very little place land can be legitimately claimed belowā€¦

1 Like

Actually, I was thinking of something with a bit less grandeur. If one is above an undermeshed base, they could not place a pet on guard, eh?

It would not localize the entryway, but give PvP folks a place to watch and perhaps set up perimeters.

Iā€™m sure the devs have a better tool, or am I ?

Regards

jim

PS: I used to be really indecisive, but now Iā€™m not so sure.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always assumed itā€™s a cylinder, and works infinitely vertical. This is the case in most of the survival crafting games I have played.

1 Like

Hello @Boris, welcome to the forums and thank you for your post!

As it was already mentioned by @Barnes, the claims extend infinitely as far as height is concerned, which is expected and intended behavior.

Regarding the other clanā€™s claim intersecting yours, are you unable to build within your foundations, as in the other post that youā€™ve shared?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.