Usually when I’m playing on my (very) dead server I wistfully look for other worlds to inhabit, or maybe one of the dozen servers I’ve got a 60 on will have more than 2/40. It’s never this populated 6 out of 7 non-holiday days, if you want my personal opinion. I hardly check EU servers, though. Maybe there’s hope there.

3 Likes

That is true. That bug is not a consistent one but does pop up periodically for sure.

1 Like

Early access and skewed data. Those that get in early are looking for a specific “type” of game. Casual larger player base was never given a chance to “test” the viability of wipe servers.

And these are the Rust PC steam numbers that show there is a market for regular wipe type servers…

Rust is for those people who want to PVP by mouse clicking on people. Comparing Rust to Conan Exiles is like comparing Call of Duty to Planetside 2. Sure they have more numbers, but you’re talking about the lowest common denominator when it comes to quality of player (CoD players usually don’t last 20min in PS2 because they end up with >0.8 KDRs or less).

Easier games always attract more. If Funcom wants Rust-like numbers, they just need to change the combo system to a simple repetitive attack on left click, some parry thing on right click (that doesn’t really do much), a roll dodge that is mostly visual, hitscan ranged attacks. Then put in a ton of microtransactions for simple cosmetics like santa hats and baseball caps.

That’d be a game none of us really want to play. Fortunately its not the game Funcom wants to make.

I literally say not comparing which is better. But pointing out there is a market for server wipes. They are different. And thus that is a potential new customer base. New customers is how you grow. Growth means money. Money is what businesses strive to get…

1 Like

Let me try it less “mean”. The reaction for stating that there is another player base is ignorant of business 101. Meaning, you always pay attention to what other successful similiar games do. So not testing how much the regular wipes is a bad business decision that may be costing Funcom future money.

1 Like

I think they should just club them, thrall them and force them into service.

1 Like

I think it was mentioned before by some, if they took some of the completely dead servers and repurpose them to different settings such as wiping servers (add how many months/days) to see how well or poorly they do. I would not change servers that have populations in them since you would tick off those who are playing.

Those who wish to play on a wiping server, would switch to that server and then you get both types of players happy.

Wiping servers is not my preference.

1 Like

it’s not mine either. But I prefer there be options to see if the actual community could grow again. I prefer a “tax” system close to how Rust does it. Balancing that would be a key to not make someone play 20 hours a week, yet publish 15 minute refreshers (the ones who do ot for months on end, not someone taking a vacation). Something where if I could fill the meter to last 2 weeks with @5 hours worth farming. That equates to about 1 hour farming for 3 days of decay time.

1 Like

Why would they test it now when we already know the answer? The only reason you wipe a Conan server is if the database reaches an unrecoverable state. We found this out years ago.

Since Officials don’t run mods, they don’t need wipes for probably the next 2-4 years or longer.

Again, that was Early Access players not general customer base. That is why I point that Rust shows a customer base that may be okay with it.

Early access is not something you want to hang your hat on. It is more for bug testing, with game direction a secondary approach.

You are telling me that 70,000 Rust players play it despite it having regular wipes?

Again, I am only saying to use a niche fan bases ideas for a business model is not good business long term. And remember Early access was pre Tencent. If I was in Tencemt, I would ask the question to Funcom “How do we get some those players to our game?”. If you rest on what we have, then the game is not reaching its full potential nor audience.

1 Like

Or if it’s a blitz server, or when Frozen North arrives. I was on PvP when we reset at the inventory wipe. Later when the game rolled out everything was wiped. After rollout we had an item wipe. Now we have a player wipe.

4 Likes

I dunno, I’m on an “official” server and there’s never less than 5 players - usually it’s 20 to 40 - and on long weekends and holidays it sees max during peek hours. -=shrug=-

I think one of the impediments to a tax system is setting the tax. The question of how much is appropriate is hard and to get the data, it would have to be tested on the officials themselves. If its too high, it would drive people away who you want to keep, and if its too low, it is inneffectual and just a nuisance to those you want to keep. Add the possibility that a bug in the system could mean someone’s perfectly legit building where someone did everything they were supposed to do gets wiped (or a bunch of people’s bases) and now you’ve got a big problem on your hands.

Not worth the risk imo.

1 Like

I have to ask, what region and type of server are you playing on? From my own experience, I haven’t seen more than 2-3 PVE America servers with more than ten players lately. However, I have seen lots on EU and PVP. After all, there are nearly three times as many PVP servers as PVE servers for a good reason, IIRC.

I live in Japan so the when i checked, the best ping was one in China. I think there are a few in Japan and maybe Korea too but for some reason the China one showed the best ping at the time. Where in China is beyond me as China is huge - only 2% smaller that the USA. I think the server details might specify somewhere but I dunno where to look specifically. When I use the server list-selection window I haven’t noticed that there were more PVP then PVE(c) servers. I was under the impression there were about the same number - but that was just from brief observation.

I can tell you one thing for sure; if they impliment something like this:

they will lose me as a customer. I’m not completely understanding but if that’s cash I’ll be out and against all Funcom products and if it’s building materials I’ll be out of Conan. :confused:

Hey that’s my base!

Lol

Just kidding.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.