Make the game more friendly for arachnophobes

I wonder how ppl are ok with dismemberment but not with some common creatures.

4 Likes

Please stop calling for more nerfs…

2 Likes

:joy:

I hate spiders with a strong passion in real life, I could never touch one.

In games, I have no issues even with hulking spider bosses the size of a house. Sure, I genuinely do feel more afraid of the giant spider boss in Conan compared to the other bosses, but it’s nowhere near making the game unplayable.

The people with the really crippling cases of arachnophobia are such a small percentage of the population, I don’t think devs can justify spending the time and resources needed to make them a toggle.

4 Likes

And what’s next, people who are afraid of violence will ask that we turn in our swords??

This HAS GOT to be a troll thread.

Noone is asking for nerfs… what the OP asked for is a setting, that when checked, replaces the spider models with a different model.

That’s the thing with a phobia… it’s not rational but an irrational fear of something.
As far as dismemberment goes, I’d love being able to disable it since it is too common.

Not what I would call it. Also not every browser works wonders all the time. Look at the bigger picture. Showing some empathy doesn’t hurt you.

What you decided to post even though the op explicitly expressed the depth of their issue. Instead of posting an image, you could have explained the point. Then @Bourgmestre could’ve joined you in a verbal way as well. At least that picture wasn’t as bad. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Maybe they did a mistake, maybe not. Only they can tell.

Solving their issue doesn’t have to be away from everyone else though. Even if something is aimed at a specific audience, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the audience can’t be grown.

Some it does, but I wouldn’t start from a perspective that suits ourselves and reflecting that to the ether. It would be wiser to properly analyse the framework first so this type of a situation doesn’t happen in the first place.

We were at a zoo with my big sister and she wanted me to touch the glass that had a tarantula behind it. She weren’t able to get to me (i.e. explain thoroughly why we were safe) and she repeatedly wanted me to touch the glass (which wasn’t even allowed). She forced my hand on it and from ever since I’ve had this phobia to deal with. The spider did nothing. The fear in relation to the reaction in relation to the environment did. However, the spider was the real victim here as its image now evoked the unnecessary flight reaction. Harmless and cute spider. It was so bad that the shape came to my dreams. Even the smallest ones brought my stomach to boil. Nowadays if one drops on my face, I’m not yelling or slapping them away (small ones). I just wait them to move along and then help them out the door in case they don’t know where to navigate (usually they don’t). It’s not like they want to drop onto my face or harm me. They still give goosebumps though.

What helps the most is to read data about spiders and their behaviour. Maybe an added cat face helps some, but it is a crude approach in comparison (clever, but crude). Goal is to separate the variables to unlearn the core issue and then learn the proper reasonable reaction to replace the void, and thus remedy the symptoms.

Whatever method you use, just remember that the thing that frightens us is not necessarily the true form of fear so you need to be sure of that first. Otherwise you may emphasise the harm further instead.

1 Like

Answer is the way phobia is created (or rather how experiences are memorised). It is likely that you might begin to suffer from a phobia if you get too close to someone who is beheaded, especially if they look similar to you or you can somehow relate to that specific entity in an impactful enough way. Not only this, but you would also need to have someone forcing you toward the same stage. You also need preformed inconsistencies related to the practise. Then the forcing needs to happen in a gradually accumulating haste. Impact of each variable is more likely to differ from individual to individual and group to group so the same pace might not be sufficient to some while even a nudge is all some others need.

Edit:

The example is a bit wobbly. It is likely that you wouldn’t actually get a phobia from something that’s likely to be true. Phobia is like misplaced fear factor. The issue is not the namesakes necessarily, but the incomplete set of variables understood that form implications that otherwise wouldn’t form. This is why the truth will set you free. That and time.

Most of society’s problems today are directly caused by people being offended for people who probably aren’t all that offended to begin with and demanding that the entire world change to cater to them. It doesn’t help anyone, including the original, actual victims. If anything it makes the situation even worse for them.

So no, I will not show empathy. Sympathy, yes. Empathy, no.

If your fear of spiders is so crippling that a, once again, heavily edited picture causes such panic that you can no longer function, then you need to step away from the computer and go get some help. I’m not trying to be mean, but that degree of a phobia will prevent you from living your life. Get help and learn to deal with your fear.

10 Likes

Setting aside the fact that this is CONAN we’re talking about, and that it’s supposed to be brutal and scary, this seems like something that should fall squarely in the realm of community-made mods. The devs’ time is too limited to cater to every corner-case, and there are still plenty of core gameplay bugs that still need to be resolved, which would be ahead of endless quality-of-life improvements, which would still be ahead of something like this.

Sorry, but flagging/hiding pics of people deliberately posting pics of spiders to trigger genuine arachnophobes is about as much effort as I care to see Funcom dedicate to something like this. Taken to its natural progression, snakes, rodents, lizards, handfuls of insects, grubs, thralls… eventually nothing would be left until the game has been scrubbed clean of everything immersive and lore-relevant.

Conan’s world is meant to be savage and terrifying, IMO it’s already too tame.

13 Likes

Well said!

1 Like

If you want a true 100% solution for your problem, then you need to face it. This is clichéd as hell but it’s the truth. You need to face it over and over again if you’re truly serious about overcoming it. I understand that your phobia is because of the way your brain is wired and is much different from the simple fears that everyone faces, but it is STILL possible to overcome this.

I used to have acrophobia (fear of heights) when I was younger. It was so bad that I would completely break down if I ever came to be situated somewhere higher than the second floor of my house. I’d be paralyzed with fear and someone would always have to help me. This lasted until a few years ago when I went through a “idc about anything anymore” phase. I wanted to overcome my phobia. So I started to see it like this:

Your phobia is your enemy. You need to beat it back and assert your dominance. It’s nothing but a lil bish. An easy win.

So I went on rollercoasters over and over again. I forced myself to confront it time and time again. Each ride I completed was viewed as a win over my phobia. I did rock climbing. Each time I got to the top, I punched my phobia right in the face.

And eventually, I overcame it. It’s incredibly exhilarating to me whenever I go on amusement park rides, planes, or climb anything. I love doing it. And not only does this help overcome your phobia, but it helps you confront fear in general. I’m addicted to doing things of which I’m afraid and overcoming those fears.

So beat the spiders. Beat them over and over again. Doing it in game is a good first step.

I do know this isn’t possible for everyone, but at least try. Force yourself to kill 1 spider in game while looking. Then 5. Then 10. And so on. Set small goals.

You can do it.

Look for a mod if you don’t want to do what I did. I’m sure somebody has made one for this

4 Likes

May i say that i didn’t wanted to harm anybody, and aswell that spider are friendly, and as long as you have one in your room, you’l never be eaten by moskitos

1 Like

Sure, I can understand the phobia, what I dont buy its the person playing a violent game set on Conan universse and asking for such a thing.

2 Likes

I know you didn’t. You just got caught up by the wave. It’s okay. Don’t be too hard on yourself. :blush:

“Don’t take general’s burden on your shoulders.”

It may be too late to tell where you took it from, to have any impact, but personally I do thank you for your effort on damage control. At least you acknowledged the importance of that variable.

Edit:

Heisenberg is one of my favourite characters btw.

Nono. We said fix bugs, not toggle them.

Just so everyone knows, I’m going to deal with the flagging of my posts with utmost seriousness and go directly to discuss this with moderators.

Edit:

Why was @Glurin’s long post flagged? I don’t think there was anything inherently inappropriate. The opinions weren’t off-topic and defending their point isn’t a reason to flag them out of sight even though some rough looking words may have been expressed. I’m going to include a word for Glurin’s defense as well. :thinking:

To be honest, if they were flagged because of how the posts were formatted, (and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were) I’m not gonna be too broken up about it. Like I said at the beginning of the post in question, those kind of posts where a lot of snippets get quoted lose a lot of context and usually end up split into a dozen or more different subjects that make it hard for people to follow. (Which also causes moderators some headaches trying to sort out whats going on when posts get reported.) I used to do it a lot, but when I realized what was going on I decided to break that habit.

For that reason I usually try to limit myself to just one or two quotes per reply. Sometimes three, but not very often. True, that often leaves several points unaddressed when replying to such posts, but IMO it’s a fair enough trade off. Only really did it that time for illustrative purposes.

I do appreciate you putting a good word in if they were flagged for some other reason though. In which case I have a decidedly different opinion that I’ll keep my own counsel on for the time being, although I’m pretty sure we’d find ourselves in agreement on it. Just wanted you to know my feelings on the matter.

1 Like

I have a fear of spiders. Although maybe it’s not exactly spiders, so much as poisonous spiders, with the inherent fear of death that they might cause. I’ve never bothered to have it diagnosed to know exactly.

That said, I’ve played any number of games with giant spiders. It’s a common enemy in pretty much every fantasy game, ever. There is even the trashy movie, 7 Guardians of the Tomb, that is filled with rather frightening spiders.

That are good for an “oh s**t” moment of panic. But that’s as far as it goes in the games. I slaughter the spiders brutally, just like I kill them on sight in real life.

I can agree that some empathy may be warranted, but honestly there comes a time when people have to face their fears and deal with it. It’s not exactly fair to ask Funcom to devote resources to inserting scripting that swaps any spider spawns with snake spawns.

A modder can do it out of passion for the game. They do it in their free time and don’t get paid.

Funcom has to pay the bills for doing it. So it’s not exactly a reasonable thing for them to do.

I also think the so-called Justice Warriors, who step up to fight for causes, some of which are absolutely moronic, regardless of whether anyone has asked them to fight for them or not, take things to amazing levels of stupidity.

I mean, if Funcom gave in to something like this, the next thing will be idiots trying to fight them for having an open sky overhead, because some people are afraid to go outside. You can’t have cramped spaces because some people are claustrophobic. Everything has to be well lit and bright for those who are scared of the dark.

It would never end. And so Funcom can’t really give in on anything of this nature. The game is what it is. And to put it bluntly, if you cannot cope what is within the game, sadly you are going to have to give up the game.

Or else get it for PC and hope a modder fixes whatever you are having issues with. That is simply the way it is with video games.

1 Like