Arachnophobic mode

Can you put an arachnophobic mode for sensitive people? Especially when you see the giant spiders it gets worse.

4 Likes

Is there any game with such a mode? Colour blindness is common and many games have a mode for the most common type but I have not heard of a game with a mode for arachnophobia.

It is a perfectly valid suggestion, however considering how old the game is, unlikely to be implemented.

3 Likes

I think thereā€™s a mod you can download that replaces spiders with scorpions or something else, so that might work for you. You wonā€™t be able to play on official servers at all if you use it though, and any private servers would also need the mod so itā€™s unlikely youā€™d find one, so pretty much just single player mode unless you want to rent your own server.

3 Likes

Satisfactory replaces spiders with cats

6 Likes

It is not the first time I listen this from a player. I had teammate that had arahnophobia and in a server that I was co admin in one of my custom runs (event) for the players of the servers I had to replace spiders with something else. I do respect this a lot. Conan exiles is a beautiful game that attracts people for similar gaming reasons. Some like just to build, some others just to pvp, avoiding almost all the pve content of the game. I ainā€™t gonna criticize if itā€™s right or wrong, itā€™s fun. Me and @Marcospt yesterday night stayed up until 5 in the morning doing a challengeā€¦ For fun. If we were younger without responsibilities we wouldnā€™t leave the joysticks, we would be still playing.
I really wish there was a way for a player with ā€œspecial issuesā€ to be able to enjoy games without fear. Itā€™s a bit utopic, but I still wish it.

3 Likes

Satisfaction? NOT! Stop killing cats, dogs or turtles or rabbits

So lets start a list of the ā€œsafe space game modsā€?

Should the devs already spare a space in the settings tab for just ā€œsensitive peopleā€ ?

Like:

Sensitive Tab
Toggles on or off:

• Dick size for people who are sensitive to having small dicks
  • Boob size for people who are sensitive to having small/big boobs
  • Independent choice of genitals and bodies because people might be non binary
  • Hair choices to people sensitive for being bald
  • Foot size for people who are sensitive for having small/big feet
  • Lenght of words because some people are dislexic
  • Blood color because some people cant see blood
  • Sounds of breaking bones or body stretching because of PTSD

And I could go on and on as to the long exhausting list of things.

There is a moment when having options gets in the way of exercising the options.
Every optional content must be made balanced. Right ? So if you can toggle spiders or not for example, you have to make the game be as much as it is with them, and again, another game, I say the same: Making things optional in a game is most likely akin to making them irrelevant.

Imagine an extreme case:

• Make ranged combat optional.

That means the game must be designed to be the same content performed with or without ranged combat. That means we need to have a level design and systems design that disregards the existence of ranged combat, ergo, ranged combat is irrelevant.

Everything you make optional will make that which is optional be irrelevant.

• Make mounts optional.
    Same thing, if mounts are optional devs must make levels so you can reach places in a fashionable time with or without mounts, therefore, mounts are irrelevant.

And on and on.

So yeah, making optional things kinda has a limit.

7 Likes

:eyes:

This.

Iā€™m not opposed to toggles like this existing, but on the other hand it should also ā€˜fitā€™ the game itā€™s applied to. Brutality and horror are fundamentals of the Conan universe.

1 Like

Small penis fobia exists ā€œforeverā€.
Prehistoric humans depicted their gods with dicks almost the size their own bodies for that exact reason. Should I mention that the original form of the cupid is the same that originated Priapus, which are gods that literally are flying giant dicks ?

I guess ā€œexisting foreverā€ is not a good measure.

1 Like

To be fair, Satisfactoryā€™s spiders are also WAY more creepy than anything Conan has. :no_mouth:

Itā€™s also got a completely different theme. Youā€™re not a savage barbarian trying to conquer and dominate all your enemies through brute force. Instead youā€™re a corporate drone loyal to and owned by FICSIT Inc. sent to an alien planet for the sole purpose of bringing it all the joy and wonder of industrialization.

I wonder if people have the measure of their rational as to asking replacing spiders in this game, which has the thing about knocking down characters cold, putting them to run in a wheel named ā€œof Painā€ until they break and obey you blindly.

It is worse than the Conan Movie making a Darfari that eats humans raw affraid of rats.

1 Like

That from the point of view of the medieval european theory of psychology that assumes there is a ā€œnormalā€ and anything out of it is ā€œnot rationalā€.

Everyone who has a phobia, has it for a reason that in their minds make sense.

And yeah, dozens of experiments, many of them not much of a ā€œethicā€ experiment shows that without the internal consistency, even shocking experience cannot develop a phobia. Eg, the people who doesnt develop phobias in situations one assumes people would. And the fact that ā€œa soberā€ look on phobia sufferers always render a internally consistent reason as to why they have them.

That is how people had a breakthrough in treating phobias. They understood that proving, for example, that rats are more afraid of you does not cure phobias, and instead you have to understand what specific internal logic a person have to fear rats.

However ā€œbeing a psychoā€ has nothing to do with fearing mice or not. However, it is correlated that sociopaths often have a history of torturing small animals. So statistically, you actually are not likely to be a sociopath and fear small mice.

The thing is: It is not because it is in the net that it is true or right.
I suggest you read works of people who also says that this is actually worse.
Exposing people with phobias to the thing they have phobias in the hopes it solves is not only not statistically proven good, but it might lead to even worse problem.
Sadly, efficacy, coherence and efficiency are not subject to ā€œmajority voteā€, as in it is not beause a bunch of people say something, it is true.
And I can just go to my list here and ask some of my friends who are accomplished psychology professionals who know their stuff, I dont need to ā€œgoogle into knowledgeā€.

Well will sound agressive and and in same way most idioticalā€¦ but dont play if u have some phobia or avoid region, go in trades and so on, i dont know nowadays peoples are damn sensitive to everything, i mean time ago it was meh, u lived conquered fear get pass them but now, waah i am afraid of that and that lets please change it , i dont care if someone maybe likes spiders, because i cant hold them need to change itā€¦

U know what , i am terrified of damn grubs, they represent my deadly fears, so what i do?

Steep 1 - I understand they are damn binar code without real possible harm to me and are NOT REAL
steep 2 - i always wander in any worm region with other players so they mostly kill them
steep 3 - i allways try to make fun about them as goofy waterbalooons

In reality i dont know why but i am deadly afraid of worms, but spiders well one lives under my bed, good guy kills all flys in summer, he had wife and 3 kids, i think i accidentally eated one in sleep modeā€¦ but he forgiven me already, i give him live flys , and we spend good time, that i even called him Borrisā€¦ a hairy native leggy spiderā€¦ well but maybe need also worm-a-phobic mode that replaces textures of worms in game,ā€¦ i mean i dont understand logicā€¦

sure thats how my brains work, but i dont get how fears can be so big that u cant see 1, and 0 sequence code that represents spider, worm, human or any phobiaā€¦ i mean phobias is lot , but to specially one change whole game, that is not normalā€¦ + conan essence is raw barbaric gameplay with nude womans and big dik edited guys under dogfishā€¦ or whataever that big dik fish areā€¦ also some players i bet has phobia on big diksā€¦ lets change thatā€¦

P.S i bet after revealing idea i get ā€˜ā€˜flagā€™ā€™ from sensitive humans , who plays barbaric game xd

but thanks for attention :slight_smile: wish u all good and barbaric day

2 Likes

:raised_hand:

As someone who actually had a crippling fear of spiders, I can vouch for that. When I first started playing WoW way back when it launched, I wouldnā€™t even go into some areas because of how creepy the spiders were. But one day I asked myself just what the hell I was so afraid of. Theyā€™re just pixels on a screen. They arenā€™t real and they canā€™t hurt you. So I made the conscious decision to venture into those spider infested areas and over time it became no big deal. I also found that I wasnā€™t freaking out so bad at RL spiders either.

I still find the spiders in the aforementioned Satisfactory creepy AF though, but not enough that I need to have a cat image clumsily pasted on top of them.

2 Likes

If anything, the cat adds to the terror. A thinly veiled illusion of innocence, when you know a formless monster hides behind it trying to kill you. Very lovecraftian in a sense.

this is what i agree but they are also binar codeā€¦ its like thing that is not real - how the hell it can even hurt usā€¦ :smiley: by the way need to find what phobia is fear from worm types, as earthworm, caterpillars etc :smiley:

I donā€™t think many of you understand what a phobia is capable of. For example, I have a weird reaction to needles. Serving in the Army was an interesting affair because of the amount of times we were vaccinated, as well some injuries and other medical issues requiring either injections or blood tests. How it affected me is I had no fear or anxiety to seeing a needle, nor did I have any issue watching a needle go into skin.

First time at MEPS I was able to overcome the conscious fear and watch a blood test being performed. Consciously I was able to watch it and thought it was neat and admired the expertise shown by the medic. And then everything turned to static and I passed out. No amount of discipline or whatnot could have prevented that. And since then when giving blood donations or getting vaccines or blood tests, I had to turn away to prevent passing out.

Iā€™m fortunate that my reaction to what triggers my issue does not cause any sort of actual fear or anxiety. Its simply an internal reaction that makes me feel light headed and I have an easy means of coping with it should I need to. Not everyone is that fortunate.

Phobias arenā€™t something many people can just get over. So think that and have a little compassion for those who suffer from said ailments. And the idea of people with phobias having to avoid a ā€˜brutalā€™ game is ridiculous. I served in a field where I was trained to do things far more brutal then you will ever see possible in this game, and served well despite having a needle phobia. This is just a video game.

And as far as it being worth while for Funcom to add a feature based on how many people suffer from extreme cases of Arachnophobia. Thatā€™s for FC to determine, not us. Allow those who have issues to explain themselves and let their feedback go unimpeded. Then FC can make a determination on their own whether or not it is feasible to accommodate those players.

7 Likes

I canā€™t even get Text Chat in most online gamesā€¦ (Iā€™m mute) I doubt anti -spider mode would ever happen.

Thou, Iā€™m sure more people have fear of spiders then mutes. XD

5 Likes

Theres a cure for that- epic short swords. Makes short work of spiders quickly.