Need more players. Keep game alive

If this is PVE

In PVP you need to drop everything on death, other players should be able to loot your body.
And your body needs to stay in the game when you log out.

If you have no real penalty for death, you lose some of the thrill of the game.
I can’t bring myself to stay on a server with no anticipation and fear about what would happen if I messed up.

I plan how I would get to my body even if my bed roll is destroyed.
I plan for some one to raid me, and have my stuff where they can’t find it.

If I didn’t have to think and plan for whatever, the game would be just a grind with no thrill, and no reason to keep playing.

So here’s the thing @NightMother is right that many players want drop loot on death turned off and body doesn’t remain in the world turned on. I run a private server on PS4 that doesn’t have either of these, it’s basically official settings with my own discord run quests and no offline raids. Even with constant ads it is very hard to keep players. Many people want it easier, boosted stats, no dropped loot, etc.

That being said I agree with everyone saying there should be a death penalty. I can’t stand playing on servers where drop loot on death is turned off, because I loose all sense of thrill as @droch-aon said. The fear of loosing my legendaries and my custom dyed armor etc. this is what makes the game fun for me.

What we really need is a middle ground. There should be a setting that allows the player to keep everything on their hot bar/ person but drop all their other inventory. This would keep a sense of thrill, Loosing all your loot. But would not be quite so devastating if you’re killed and would leave you in a better place to retrieve your loot. Also this would cut back on the cheesy play of pulling your bracelet to quickly transport back to your base with loot (which I personally dislike on servers where drop loot on death is off), because you would drop your loot. This is what I would like, and having some official servers with this setting under the casual category I think would be a great idea.

Whoa there, WhiteRabbit. I know the Conan lore is full of necromancers, but even they never raised dead forum threads back to life after such a long time.

2 Likes

What you want already exists, it’s called “PVE Mode” I play it lol

What u want is PvE. :blush:

There is at least one way you can avoid offline raiding.
Just think about it.

I think losing entire castles while away from pve players who think its pvp killed off most of the population.
If they fixed offline raiding and made a huge announcement about that fix, it would bring alot of people back. It would bring my son, girlfriend, gamer best freind and myself back at least so fingers crossed.

2 Likes

What we want is real pvp. Not vulture pvers

1 Like

How good that the thread is about how the person would like to keep the most instead of losing everything.

You may want “real” PvP, but that doesn’t mean everyone wants it.

And if you are that into PvP I would recommend Ark to you.

In addition, some still haven’t noticed that Conan Exiles Funcom’s first project was with the Unreal Engine, so Funcom has to constantly deal with the changes and fix the problems as best they can.

I have a little note: Always read the thread correctly and not just a comment and then respond correctly.

:blush::v:t4:

Actually I believe your complaint has the exact opposite effect than you think. The game mechanic prevents rage quits when you die. It forces you to find that body again else you loose everything. It keeps you on the hook playing and gives you time to cool down and see other stuff you didn’t see and explore before. The map shows where you died. It may be buggy as Hades but it’s still a function that lets you easily find your body (unless you died in a dungeon…then good luck)

So it’s been a year now. And my point is even more valid today. For ps4, If you look at the official server. There’s hardly any players around. On private server there’s a few with plenty of people. And guess what…The majority of them are (Keep Loot On Death). Conclusion, a lot more people would play if a few official servers had the setting of (keep loot on death). If you want to make the game harder then go ahead and make the content challenging. Drop loot on death is not challenging, it’s just simply time consuming.
After if the argument is drop loot on death is staying true to the tradition of a survive game…Then I say screw tradition and evolve. Just give people more setting option in official server. 80% of them are unused. Lol.

1 Like

Hrm, well difficulty may well be a factor for some, but I don’t think that’s the main reason, (it’s certainly not for me, I find the game’s difficulty level fine for the most part)

As I type this now, I still cannot even log on to the PVE-C server I chose to play on, I just get an infinite loading screen instead.

I could start over from scratch (yet again) and try a new server (maybe a PvP server this time) but honestly, it irks me that I would even have to, through no fault of my own.

Do I really want to start a new game? again? with all the bugs that still aren’t fixed? (at the risk of sounding like a broken record)

No thanks, I think I’d rather invest my time and energy into something more worthwhile. There is a glimmer of hope that I may possibly be able to salvage something but at this point, if it’s not fixed soon, even I’ll be off.

Now, I can’t speak for everyone, but I suspect reliability is one of the main reasons why PS4 users haven’t stuck with the game for the longer term ( in fact I know this is the case firsthand from friends of mine)
I have former clan members who just can’t be bothered with dealing with it, and have moved onto something else, like Borderlands 3 or Ark.

I stuck around because despite the bugs, I liked the setting, the build mechanics, and the lore.

It’s a real shame, because I have always believed there is huge potential in the game.

1 Like

Try Private servers. It still alive and I see people there from years ago.

Crashes has reduced over the years and bugs are reducing as well.

Private Server seems to be lively still. But you will notice most of them are boost x10 harvest, fast craft time and keep loot on death… this means people in general prefer a faster pace. I only suggest the obvious. Make these setting available for some official servers. Most of them are empty anyways so why not. Easy to implement and surely it will pull in players from ESO. Lol

I don’t think it’s the difficulty or the climb that drives people away. Personally I think it’s the level of optimization and bugs that tend to pop up.
PlayStation and Xbox servers might seem dead to the 8 some-odd months they didn’t get a single update.
Keeping loot on death would trivialize the game even further IMO opinion. The game is already as survival-lite as it can get( still love the game though I give it a ten out of ten). But honestly keeping loot on death takes away all detriment from dying.

[quote=“Zeropoint, post:24, topic:89393”]
I run a private server on PS4 that doesn’t have either of these, it’s basically official settings with my own discord run quests and no offline raids. Even with constant ads it is very hard to keep players. Many people want it easier, boosted stats, no dropped loot, etc.[/quote]
Well, those people have plenty of other games they can play. I know you’re not the OP, I just wanted to use your example to make this point:

There are so many gamers in the world. Sooo many games. Can’t we have ONE good game that isn’t lowest common denominator? If the aim is to get everyone in the freaking world to play Conan Exiles then the game will please nobody. :sob:

I like that it’s slow. I play solo PvP and like lose on death. I only have time to play one game, and this is the game I play. I will be super sad if it gets faster-paced just because some dumb majority wants to have all the best stuff without trying. As was said above, it’s already a popular game. Changing the feel of it to make it more popular would just mean a lot of the people already playing it would leave. I mean, if you play it already, it follows that you must basically like it how it is right? All the moaning and criticism online (which every game has) notwithstanding.

4 Likes

If your main focus is actually on increasing the player base then my suggestion is this: have a free trial available on all platforms, allowing players to get a taste for the game. Players who enjoy it will want to keep playing and happily pay at the end of the trial. As for retaining players, I recommend a clan/player holiday anti-decay allowance. Each clan or solo player could have X weeks of the year of no decay, they can activate this whenever they want throughout the year for as long as they want (no more than X weeks) That way players who want to take a break from the game whether for holiday or other reasons will be able to return without having to lose everything.

1 Like

Sony / Funcom have done this already (on PS4 at least) - A fair few picked it up, then when they realised how buggy it was at the time, many just moved on.

1 Like

That’s a bit of a thread necro.

The answer is the same as it was years ago. Click the check box.

1 Like

After suffering through the game’s many bugs and finally acquiring my first legendary weapon and some hard-won rare items, I nearly quit the game when I got drowned in a pool of acid by my horse and thrall and lost everything. So yes, drop loot on death combined with the horrid bugginess of the game is very off-putting to some players.

Ultimately what made me quit the game was the total disregard for quality in patches. Patch 2.1 was frustrating, patch 2.2 was infuriating. At patch 2.3 I stopped actively playing and only logged in to refresh decay. Seeing that patch 2.4 was more of the same old garbage I stopped altogether and have now let my buildings, belongings, and followers go to dust on official PvE exiled lands and siptah servers. I’m still checking the forum and patchnotes because I have some shred of hope that the game might be worthwhile at some point, but Funcom’s consistently buggy patches do not inspire confidence.

I think if Funcom wants more players/customers they should hire some competent people and make a game that actually works.

1 Like

There’s a ton of official server with no one ever using it. Why not have variety of settings on them.