Need more players. Keep game alive

The problem with official servers is:

They crash or lag when there a lot of players on.
If its free weekend… its a lag fest, players leave because of the lag… not because the game is bad.

If the servers were beefy enough I think more players will stick around.
Not everyone wants to play on a private server with the admin overlord that gets ** licked all the time hahaha

Conan doesn’t need new players, it needs to keep players at hand. The game breaks every single patch, and every step we take forward we put another stone in bag, which accumilates overtime on servers and peoples nerves.

Dev team should look backward a bit and start fixing the most basic problems in game, such as bugs and glitches. A working game Will ALWAYS pull customers.

They need to test their game a lot before patching it, they need a higher communication, even a dedicated communication to modders since mods keep this game alive.

I own a server, I had MANY dedicated players, most of them were hardcore and we had so much fun. Everyone left because every patch broke the game for modded servers, some of them forced us rollbacks, with funcom live introduction along with OFFICIAL servers, UNOFFICIAL servers went under atleast 1-2 weeks of offline. Thats where we lost the rope, after that its literally a slideway down. Servers are unstable, game is unstable.

And also game is actually pretty boring if you don’t mod the hell out of it. It’s a scam that its sold as a survival when it has no survival elements.

I still pay my server, I still buy all DLC, I still test every ■■■■■■■ testlive, I do my part.
But everyone has a limit, everyone has a patience, so far conan exiles is either going sideways or going downwards.

2 Likes

I am OK if it crashes once awhile as long I keep my loot. Crashes and your s$&t disappeared is ultra lame

I keep seeing claims like this and I’ve yet to see anything resembling proof.

I’ve recently visited a whole bunch of PVE and PVE-C servers in the North American region, before I finally settled on the one I’m playing now. All of them had a bunch of buildings that were not even close to decaying. Most of them had people playing on them, too. One of them had 22 people online when I visited.

Given that information, it would be a big mistake for me to draw the conclusion that “all the servers are in use”, because those were just the servers I visited. The plural of “anecdote” is not “data”.

So just because you opened the server browser and saw some servers displaying “0/40” at that moment, that doesn’t mean “most of the official servers are empty”.

The obvious suggestion is: if you prefer 10x and keep loot on death, why not join one of those private servers you mention? Seriously, if your idea of fun is to make the game an order of magnitude easier and never lose your stuff, then that’s your choice and you should be allowed to take it. Don’t try to force it on the rest of us who are established on the official servers and having fun.

Careful with your claims…

1 Like

So… the game is alive, but the thread was dead and was undead-ed?

Maybe necromancy would be the solution to the game dying, too. Oh, wait - we already have necromancy, and the game isn’t even dead yet.

I’m not sure if we’re trying to come up with a problem to our solution.

1 Like

Why? You sound like if its personal to you. I’m merely stating my opinion.

There is not a single ounce of survival element above level 10, the possibility of death in official stats through environment or pve is nigh impossible. Death of thralls by pve is almost impossible. Water is in abundance, food is in abundance, materials are in abundance. There is no shortage of anything. Map is too small to create shortage. Sandstorms are barely any danger, they are just annoying for visuals. People get to level 60 in 1-2 day at max, there is no proper progress.

I literally made crafting xp 0.1, and people still leveled max in 2 days. Game is nowhere hard or challenging, there is no survival in it.

Survival happens when there is a shortage, or imminent danger. What imminent danger do you have in conan apart from bugged purges, which most of the servers disable? What I “claimed” is a widely talked problem. You can acknowledge it by just playing any other survival sandbox in market and see the difference.

As a server owner myself, I push the difficulty to literal limit, You can die with few mistakes, your thralls die easily, sandstorms pop up beasts, weather conditions are crazy. The dailies I made are very challenging. However I try, whatever I do, I see people just bulldoze it in the end. I simply can’t create the challenging environment without making it extremely tedious. Because the bosses in game have no skill. They are sponges, and you can block/stagger almost every boss and npc. A player with shield and sword can solo any content.

Usually in survival genres people come together to beat the obstacles, in conan we are just together to have more farming (PvE) (Rp) excluding (PvP). I just want a game which is not a SP even in multiplayer, and have layers of difficulty that will force people to interact with eachother.

We don’t trade properly anymore because everything is standardized. Thralls have no proper uniqueness, legendary items are RnG anyway. No resource actually worths a dime, because of abundance and accessibility.

Goes for any content in PvE, no boss requires a second player, no need for player interaction. Take a thrall watch is solo entire content without getting a scratch. I just want at least a bit of feeling of excitement. Something that is hard to cheese. Something that feels like a reward. Conan lacks all 3 of these.

1 Like

I understand you are frustrated, but saying “the game is a scam and doesn’t have survival elements” is simply not true. You might have the opinion why this is a scam, but lets be realistic… the problems you have are not intended.

If you really want to compare Conan with other survival games you should consider this as well…:

• There is no other survival game with this much variety in armour and weapons.
  • There is no other survival game that runs this good with equal gfx (aside from the bugs, fps is very good atm).
  • Most other survival games have generated maps, the Conan maps are designed.
  • I don’t know any other survival ONLINE game where npc’s are this advanced, most other ONLINE survival games have mobs that always attack the same way (yes I know the bugs, but I’m only comparing).
  • And there is much more…

This is true, I preferred the trading with other players as well… but I think the majority wanted easier acces and this is why it has been changed. Maybe we should have an update focussing on trading.

I agree, the thralls are way too OP and remove most of the challenges, but in the meantime they also fight poorly compared to a player. I think thralls should be weaker but still need to survive most battles… no one wants to collect a new thrall after each time you enter a battle. Players should be stronger than thralls.

Really… without a thrall I die very quick to npc’s even with 800-1000 armour and 500-600 health. Most of the time they are not alone. Maybe the combat should have a rework for this… something like Mount and Blade maybe.

1 Like

And you’re entitled to it, no matter how extreme. But “scam” is an ugly word to use when you’re complaining about how a game doesn’t meet your own personal bar for a genre that encompasses a wide variety of games with a whole spectrum of difficulty levels.

We’re talking about a genre that includes ARK, Rust, DayZ, Valheim, and Don’t Starve, but it also includes Terraria, No Man’s Sky, and even Minecraft. I’m pretty comfortable with where Conan Exiles is on that spectrum. And because it’s so configurable and moddable, it can accommodate both a player like me and a player like you.

See, the thing people seem to fail to understand about Conan Exiles is that it’s not just a survival game. It’s a sandbox survival game and it’s deliberately trying to cater to many different kinds of players: survivalists, builders, explorers, collectors, competitive PVP players, MMO players, and many others.

I see the same problem with MMO players in Conan Exiles: just like you argue the game should be more like your specific vision of a survival game, they argue the it should be more like their specific vision of an MMO.

Like it or not, Conan Exiles is a game that won’t go to extremes in any of its facets. Its vanilla experience is a hook designed to snag many kinds of players. Some will be content with that. Others will either find a private server that suits their particular tastes, or grow bored and leave.

5 Likes

I think some of us understand that, but also see that there is no core game these revolve around. It is almost to sandbox, thus it feels unfinished in a majority of the style you listed. Using scam is too harsh…but the survive part is by far the lease true of its ad. Building is imo 80% of the game, Dominate is 10% as it is really about toxicity not actually out "playing"others.

1 Like

I agree, they could definitely do more when it comes to survival. For example, they have a variety of food, but all it boils down to is how many HP it heals every 3 seconds. Temperature effects and weather in general is another thing that never seems to get properly balanced.

But that also stems from trying to cater to many play styles. There’s so much potential, but they have to keep settling for the simplest/cheapest solution, because they have a finite number of people with limited resources and limited time. Maybe after Siptah get released they could sit down and focus on different areas of the game, one at a time, and give them more depth.

At any rate, I’m not trying to say they shouldn’t do anything to improve the survival aspect of the game. I’m just saying that not all of us want the extremes. A lot of us are fine with the game being more challenging than No Man’s Sky but less than Don’t Starve.

3 Likes

Lol!!! “ when I check pve server” lol…Pve… funny. who needs any settings options in pve, be done with in a couple days.

The game is still alive just sleeping at the moment it goes to game pass on the Xbox next week I can’t wait to show all the new people what we do with bombs :rofl:

1 Like

This won’t bring more players.
Look at ark for example… One of the other survival gsmes over there.
It has more than 80k players playing simultaneously and the game is much more hardcore than conan.
On ark, raids happens 24hours, dinosaurs are the base of pvp/farm and everything else, and ppl can kill your hard earned, breeded dinoussaur any time.
This game is not a mmorpg, it’s a survival game. If you remove item drop, hunger, thirsty, or anything like this, the survival part of the game is gone.

Everything is pretty easy to farm on conan exiles.
You can reach level 60 within 2 hours, you can have the best gear in 2-4 days depending on your team or luck.
You can craft 100 armor sets in less than a week if you have a good base with all npcs.
For example. My clan farmed 1.000 dragonpowder in 2 hours. With only 5 people farming. And i know it can still be faster than this.

Of course this kind of settings can be done on a private server, because people have different tastes, and it could fill a Niche.

But i think that creating something like this as official goes against the game’s premise.

For consoles the game was included, few years ago, on PSN (it could go back in rotation) and now it will be on GamePass for Xbox and that should bring in more players.

This s good. A yearly, imited, weekend free trial should bump up the users base bit as well.

I would also suggest existing players getting the word out on social media, live streaming on twitch, uploading youtube videos, leave a note with a tip to your bartender…etc.

The developers already said thay they will be streaming on Twich, with drops, and the player count will increase on those days.

The Isle of Siptah release should also bring in more players to the game as well.

I don’t specifically see how changing the game mechanics proposed throughout this thread would bring people in, these are things that only existing players would be aware of.

If they didnt brick off their servers with bad code, there would probably be more people playing.

There is variety of armour, but do you use all those variety? %80 of armor in C.E is trash because of stats, if you are doing something competitive, or functional. It’s all cosmetic. Without mods, you can’t even use them as cosmetic. You can maybe carry them in bag just to flash them to your friends time to time, or be weaker in combat purposefully just to look cooler (thats what I used to do)

I agree with that, one of the reasons I keep playing. Although NPC coding or whatever is just bad and after 10-15 npcs in render zone it really starts slowing down.

Perhaps, honestly, I can’t say its a very good design, it looks cool, but it has no proper functionality. It doesn’t create a survival environment that atleast a bit creates point of interest. You can live wherever you like, and its the same, apart from annoying rain. Most of the places you deem to be cool will just ruin your base with base spawning purges or buggy purges.

I strictly disagree with this, Conan’s npc’s are literal sponges with same attack pattern, from bosses to basic units. They are nowhere advanced. After 4 years into game we still struggle with BASIC pathfinding. They fixed 4 year old bug of Red Mother just in this patch (I’m yet to see If It’s working) Siptah NPC’s try to add some juice to it but its still meh, weak. I suggest you to check ARK, if you really want to see advanced NPC’s. ARK has 176 different NPC with completely different abilities and specials. Most of them are tamable, ridable, issuable to orders even they do passive work for you. They have a giant variety of commands which you can issue passively or actively. Not to mention that there are 50 bosses in ark including its variants of difficulties, and they are completely different from each other. Ark has a living map, you can think that you will be safe on your starter zone just to see a t-rex biting your shack 5 minutes later. Conan’s staleness comes from its static spawns and mediocre enemies that pose zero challenge unless you are AFK.

In vanilla? Bosses shouldn’t hit more than 30-40 something in vanilla with those stats… Worst case scenario in game is the arena champion due to her %100 penetration. I mean in my server npc damage is x2.5, npc health is x2, people still butcher them without taking damage. Because attack pattern is same, when you memorise it there is “no way” you can get damage.

Perhaps I was harsh to use that word, but survival by term is none existent in this game. I’m a mediocre combat player, I just build, even I didn’t feel “will I survive this” once in this game. I felt it all the other games you mentioned including minecraft. They have a possibility of thrill, conan does not.

Perhaps the problem is that I feel the game is almost solely relying on modding? I played on Vanilla for 2 years, and when I passed into modding, I realised I never truly played this game, now the term of vanilla or official just irritates me and I do not understand why people play vanilla. I amateurly make my own mods, even If I’m having so much pain every single patch with my petty mods, I cannot believe the torment big modders are going through. Every patch game breaks something. I still fail to fix the northern lake texture problem and I literally got zero help for it, wrote on forum, wrote on discord, modders discord, some people had it, some people didn’t, well I still have it and either I need to dump my mods or just keep it like a relic. It still looks like a default texture. I don’t know what funcom did, I don’t think they know it too. Since they had to fix a bunch of water textures after big patch.

It’s just sandbox. Without mods, it doesn’t give too much for you to go around. (If you don’t pay for dlc’s). Core game, is not there, it doesn’t give you much to do except grinding same things for RnG drops. Imagine a persistent multiplayer game, which has a questline, when completed, forces you to start over without any benefit. When I first learned that removing bracelet did that, I didn’t believe it for a long time, felt like a joke. Who thought, doing that would be actually something players look forward to.

Builders? Yes I’m a builder, I play for building. Explorers… I’m not really sure what do you explore since the map is same and not much to around after a couple of hours. Collectors, yeah sure, whatever they are collecting… PvP players, not really my thing, all I see is people crying about how unfair pvp is which forces developers to overhaul combat every year, fixing 1 breaking 10 in return… I had tons of MMO players, they usually leave after a while, since there is no true excitement in game. Game offers very little if you are not a person who creates his own narrative, combat is bland, danger is nowhere to be found, nothing is unique, most importantly, “you don’t need other people to play it” multiplayer has no difference than SP, people play hundreds of hours on same server without saying a word, because they don’t need to. I do not understand what’s the purpose of multiplayer if atleast %1 of game doesn’t force the player to interact with others to complete a deed.

At the end, the charts don’t lie, there is something wrong happening here that bled this game in 1-2 years of time to a quarter of players which its competitors have (competitors of same genre which you mentioned above). Closest is DayZ with twice the amount of players we have. I can’t even find players for my server anymore, there are too many servers, too few players to fill them. Busy Modded servers don’t go above 30 player usually due to severe lag problems caused by building pieces, decos and so on.

I’m pretty sure the games player amount and player base is at this state because they always settled for “the simplest and cheapest solution”, which haunted them and us for years. Now they waste more time and resource to fix the things they have done because they went for the cheapest solution. It’s very interesting that a game still overhauling its core after years of its release.

I’m not trying to be any kind of offensive, I’ve supported the game with my wallet, and my livestream, videos, and showcases for years, i’ll probably will keep doing so, I’ve none left playing on my server, I still keep it online because this is by far the best sandbox builder game I’ve ever played, and keep building in it… But it’s just that, sandbox builder unless you put a giant elbow grease with mods and yourself to change it.

I used two adjective for different aspects of the game. I said its not a survival, it has no survival element, therefore, branding it as such, feels like a scam on “survival aspect”, for people who are willing to have a survival experience. They won’t really find it.

I used, “its the best game”, for sandbox “building”, and its one of the best if you want to mention the graphics of it, compared to the other games in same genre. I never said its overall the best game, or its a total scam, I think you are just picking words off my text.

I played almost all of the survival games, I’ve like 4k hour on ARK, 1k on Rust, 200 ish on DayZ, 150 ish on valheim, I’ve 2.5k hours on Conan Exiles, and so on. I’m here, because I love building, I love building in sake of building. Conan Satisfies my building endeavours, and I love it for it, but it’s just that. If I’m not building, there is not much to go around. Base game is extremely bland, and unchallenging, even if you tune it up to max. There is no need for player interaction in multiplayer. There is no Supply and Demand on anything. That’s where I’m bashing.

I play PvE if its available, why? Because I do not have the time to check on game hours upon hours every day like a chore to see if my work is gone. I’m not really interested in 9 year old kids having a full day off, abusing and destroying peoples work. Why would I put myself into such problem and stress outside my gaming hours? That’s not really survival, it’s pretty much of a grief fest, whoever has more time, usually wins that competition. And I’m not really willing to compete in that experience, building stacked fence foundations, building ugly giant boxes just because its more practical or living under a rock. Also this doesn’t excuse the fact that the base game is without a challenge in itself.

I spread my positivity in building and streaming it, while complimenting, mods, or system involved in it. I can’t compliment things If I know them to be going to a wrong direction. I’ve my right to criticize as a buyer, the fact that the gaming industry is in a severe downfall in quality is because that the companies grew so big that they don’t really care about lash backs or critics of the community anymore. It’s all about moving to the way where it can attract the most casual player base.

Tolerance is good, but over tolerance and lack of critics is the bane of this sector. Quantity took over the Quality in this industry.

I do not bash anything out of air, my post has pointed out facts behind it, I tried to explain every detail I found frustrating and not appropriate, I said there are good things, but majority is going bad because “the process of thought” is actually lacking in development of C.E. The proof is overhauling of core systems every 1-2 months for last 2 years. If they were well thought or solid I do not think a game would overhaul its years after its release? Because we barely see this on other games of same genre.

It has to be criticized. Perhaps I shouldn’t have used the word of scam which is a heavy word to throw around and I do not like to be mean in anyway, that’s pretty much against my personality, but than again, Scam is: something you are offered, but not given in the end of bargain. It writes survival, but it has no element of survival except 9 year old griefer kids in official or noclip chinese players who live under rocks.

All I can say to that is that my experience is drastically different. I’ve started another playthrough this week, on an official server, and I’m advancing towards level 60. I’ve had plenty of “will I survive this” moments, even today, even after putting 4100+ hours into this game.

Will I have as many of those moments once I’m level 60, wearing epic armor crafted by a T4 armorer, wielding my favorite legendary weapons, and with a level 20 named fighter following me around? No, I won’t, but that’s to be expected. I’ll still have some, and that’s fine with me. After all, what’s the point of reaching the endgame if you don’t feel like a badass who doesn’t get threatened easily?

If you felt more thrill playing No Man’s Sky than Conan Exiles, then I honestly don’t know what to say…

If that’s how you feel, then that’s a problem, but I would argue it’s your problem, rather than the game’s problem. There are some really nifty mods out there and I miss several of them on official servers, but saying that Conan Exiles relies “almost solely” on modding is a serious exaggeration.

No, it’s not just sandbox. Again, you have strong opinions and you’re entitled to them, but you can’t just redefine a whole genre because you’re not having fun with one game.

A couple of hours? A couple of hours is enough to learn where the big landmarks are and stuff like that. A couple of weeks might be enough to memorize all the important details. But that’s not where the exploration stops. Even after all this time, I’m still finding new details that I haven’t seen before.

Today I found a chest that I didn’t know about. Is it an important chest with good stuff in it? No, it’s a standard loot chest with random crap. But I hadn’t seen it before, ever.

Is that kind of exploration fun? Maybe not to you. There are people out there who want to explore every last nook and cranny and have a trophy to show it. I’m not that extreme – I’ve never completed the “Explore the entire Exiled Lands” journey – but I still get pleasantly surprised by new discoveries.

Ask people complaining about the upcoming follower limit. Again, it’s not my jam, but there are those who want to have every single thrall and every single pet that’s available in the game. It’s their thing.

Not that again. “This game sucks because it doesn’t force players to band together.” No, just no. The game has a singleplayer mode and it’s perfectly fine that it lets those players experience all of it.

Yes, I’ve seen servers where nobody ever says anything. I’ve also seen servers with a vibrant community, because you don’t actually have to force people to interact and socialize. It would be nice if Funcom added some of the features people have been asking for, such as player-built trading posts and stuff like that. But if you can’t be bothered to have fun with other people without the game forcing you to do so, then it’s your problem again.

Funny, the charts truly don’t lie:

As is to be expected, there are disproportionate peaks around certain events, but overall, the chart looks quite healthy. Nothing has “bled” this game, because the long-term trend shows that the playerbase is growing, not shrinking.

So what if it doesn’t have the same amount of players as ARK and Rust? The market share isn’t the only thing that matters. I like Conan Exiles, and I want it to keep improving and growing, but that doesn’t mean I want it to be more like ARK and Rust. I don’t like those games, I like this one.

Again, look at the graph. The playerbase is growing. If anything, it’s at “this state” because of the effort Funcom has been putting into making this game better over time. When I say they often pick the cheapest solution, it’s not necessarily a criticism. It’s a simple acknowledgment of the reality. They can’t do everything we want when we want it. Hell, I’m pretty sure they can’t do everything they want. So they pick something that’s “good enough” and they often revisit it much later, when they feel it’s a good moment for that. That’s how things work in real life.

It’s not about being offensive. You’re bashing this game and its team because it doesn’t give you what you want the way you want it. That’s not offensive at all. It’s unfair and – to be brutally honest – somewhat entitled, but it’s not offensive. Just don’t expect everyone to quietly agree or ignore that.

6 Likes

Funcom needs to do more live events i been playing from the start and they have had ONE live event a Halloween event seriously it’s sad but true having nothing for long time players to do is not good the main reason why people stop playing you know it’s sad when people just stop playing and have a attitude like I’ll be back on the next update because I have nothing to do and it’s not like these updates come out every week they take months and in between nothing no live events