New Expansions & Updates

And there lies the problem: The “content” that was added barely leaves any room for improvement in player skill. Why? Because it’s either getting easier the more you try and fail (RF giving a ridiculous buff for each wipe to make sure you get through it no matter what), mechanics get taken away (RF having only half the mechanics of the real encounters) or are just very lazy designed by making you fight more and more trash mobs that just need to be nuked down without any real mechanics (Onslaught).
Sure, higher Onslaught waves get harder in a sense of “being more tedious to deal with” but is that really a fun challange? You basically just fight the same enemies as in wave one, just that they have +500% HP and damage.

Those things barely leave room to “outwit” those encounters because the devs basically say EXACTLY how to play this encounter. The old dungeons and Raids still can be a challange, because they are designed intelligently in many cases. Sure, gear wise they are “outdated” but just look at the dungeon timer trial thread how players are able to beat these encounters faster and faster by simply changing the tactics, sometimes being completely different from what you normally do in the dungeon. Here is still lots of room for players to improve their skills, finding out new ways to speed run, new fighting tactics and group setups. None of these speedrunners need the gear from the dungeon, they have fund finding out these new tactics, THATS the reward. This is basically the same thing for PvPers, most of them don’t need the gear anymore, they have fun doing the fighting, that’s their reward.

I completely agree. I used to play only on Rage and absolutely loved the open world pvp, ongoing guild rivalries and conflicts that arose from them etc… Then rage died and I moved to Crom, tried Crom minigames and well… it sucked. In fact I must admit I’ve never really liked minis. I often felt like I had a huge target painted on my back because I was in crap gear with crap AAs. I did greatly enjoy the pvp saga server afterwards, though.

Maybe if I added dungeon matchmaking with rating and stats that is fury exclusive we could get some of the players that have been turned off by minigame pvp to try out https://pvplevelup.com. Its a very different experience.

1 Like

The only reason you feel PvE is less toxic is possibility to grp with friends.

1 Like

I think it is important to remember that even if an unsavory character makes statements you don’t agree with, immediately jumping and calling an entire community toxic is a rash decision. This wasn’t one person saying “PvP is toxic”, it was 4-5 different users all saying the PvP community is trash because a random forum troll triggered them. In response, I pointed out counterarguments. The disheartening part for me is that many of the people involved in saying “PvP community is trash” CLEARLY have no intentions of even trying PvP, nor have been involved in the community in any way, shape, or form, and just want something to complain about, potentially driving players away.

I did not disparage the skill of PvErs in general. The intention was not to denigrate your opinion. There is a different skillset, surely.

Talk about an own goal by the PVP crowd. Acting like petulant children and then wondering why nobody is interested in playing with you.

It’s maybe not the only reason, but one of them.
In pve you have several options to skip toxic players by doing something else, if you don’t like the players in your group/raid.
In pvp you usually have only few people being interested, so you either play with whoever is around or don’t play. At least that was my experience.
I’d even agree that there are more toxic players in pve than in pvp, if you take the total number, but the percentage is lower due to number of players.

This is exactly what is the advantage of the pvp levelup app. The app is managed by @chiefqueef. He is able to ban players if they severely misbehave. This is something that is lacking in any other pvp activity (open world/mini games).

This is creating a community of like minded people who just play pvp because they like to play pvp just as pve players can join a guild to do pve together.

As some people may know, there is/was a big war between USB and Vendetta with a lot of hate between the two guilds. With this app both guilds are now fighting together in good atmosphere. Ofcourse there is the occasional struggle, but mostly shortlived. (Outside the app still some open world pvp skirmishes may occur).

I think this is the time for all USB and vendetta players (and others ofc) who enjoyed the open world pvp, but left due to drama to transfer a toon to Fury and join this pvp levelup app.

Really long discussion and alot of subjects brought up. I may add my own which is a review of the game itself since i am 4 months in here only.

My perspective for possible changes etc:

PvE:

1. World Content = Beta Phase of Development
    Every place from low level to end game, should have ‘‘even lvl scalable’’ Solo (Normal/ Unchained mode) instances, Group (Normal/ UC) Raid (Normal/ Hard modes) For example Forgotten City. Such a big place and only one instance…

2. Leveling
    I am satisfied with it and all content offers the oportunity to max AA perks.

3. Crafting and economy.
    Could be better. For example, low level rare craftables, are not going to be sold at the trader at all since the one who has the gold for it, is over lvl 80. During this phase of the game, some may go for Alchemy but other skills are rendered useless. Same goes for Epic craftables. We could use more content.

4. Drop rates.
    Lower than 20% drop rates of rares is just too much. Take for example the rarity of Darksteel from Atzel’s Fortress. They should be rare but there are people who farm for that specific recipe almost 2 years and never got it. Grinding + MMO is Canon but the percentage is too extreme in AoC.

5. Rewards.
    Leveling characters benefit alot from quest rewards but lvl 80 players will just ignore them most of the time and start zombie grinding RF and OS because they offer better rewards. Or do 10-20 runs per day Mona Palace etc. for trophies. But that isn’t very ‘‘RPG’’

Everything else is ok.

PvP:

1. Learning
    You either have to be lucky in a guild with new PvPers ‘‘Impossible’’ to actually learn it (after you really learned your class first, that means Raid instances etc. and understand your combos and builds in order to use your class correctly) and compete with them, or you have to be really stubborn and mindlesly either go to die every few seconds while the older players think you troll minigames and vote kick you OR you have to go die in every arena fight.

2. Gear up and leveling.
    Your access to your lvl pvp sets is blocked after you reach 80, and before 80 you can’t use them plus their stats are not worth it and you have to follow the forementioned in order to get PvP T1 equipment.

3. Becoming competitive, since AoC doesn’t utilize Sparring/ Parrying, it needs a serious enhancement of the Active Blocking and Dodging system in order for those capabilities to be usefull.
    Reason is because only these defensive and elusive capabilities can give a chance against an OP opponent.

Therefore and especially if you are a ‘‘Caster’’ you have to rely on a ridiculous mechanic of ‘‘Kiting’’ sprint jumping like Super Mario to actually have a chance to stay alive. As a result it has become the main PvP skill in AoC.

Non comparable to Dark Souls caster combat, which is how it should look like, at least the blocking and dodging mechanics should work, but they don’t.

And of course since that’s the only way you can survive, you try to use this but you can’t because every hit you take ‘‘Ensnares you’’ and the other’s have snare resistance full while you don’t… So your attacks do not ensnare, neither do they enough damage, neither do you resist enough damage so the only thing you can do, is being ‘‘forced’’ into an experience in which you aren’t even competitive.

I am stubborn so i got to a good point, i geared, i leveled AAs and it’s a bit better so in time i’ll do well, but i hate to have to ‘‘kite’’ instead of dodge and block and i am just one stubborn fool!
How many new players will even bother with it?
I guess we all know the answer…

Anyway. Currently, i just do Unchained mode, because it helps my PvE learning curve, done enough Raids and lvl 80 dungeons from the old world, the expansions await as well, i won’t grind mindlessly for recipes, trophies, shards etc. already got bored by RF and OS, PvP event as well since it’s an Alt Farming fest, i’ll soon have my Ibis sword and continue.

But i have to say with utter confidence:

1. AoC has unfinished mechanics and content, game is still in Beta Phase, not even the 2nd OS gems have been added.

2. After T6 ‘‘When i get there since i only log on casually from now on’’ i guess the enthusiasm ended and i got bored, i will deffinitelly not farm Chaos forever for gems, i will surely not grind grind grind and i will get even more bored if there is no other content.

3. PvE wise, Dark Souls won me, PvP wise, For Honor won me. It’s a shame because i love AoC and i want it to be great.

You seem to have some sick coding skills, im sure you would be able to make something rly fun for us. Im not sure people would want to move their most competetive PVE characters from crom to fury, but thanks for the proposition :slight_smile:

Since the topic has got off track back to PvP- my last word on the PvP Matchmaking App.

First, I do command the effort and it sounds like it works fine and can be fun. BUT- I don’t want to move back to Fury, just for balanced PvP. I do like both facets of the game- PvE and PvP- (lately PvP minis have been somewhat ok, been testing with an alt)

Second-

I don’t know if this is true or just QQ- but previously the Speadman competely supported the app and now something has changed his mind. I see nothing in defense that this is not true.

The two main problems with PvP is the toxic players who get mad when they die or they decide their team can’t win and stop playing. VoteKicked has helped, but nothing can stop the griefers who don’t know the difference between trash talk from toxic behavior.

The second is the imbalance- someone starting from a fresh 80 has no chance and quits PvP because they are constantly out geared and are focused for kills, to pad the K/D ratio instead of trying to win the mini. Lately, I have tested a fresh 80 and overall it hasn’t been too toxic, and yes you will die alot without gear. Still, it is difficult to spend the time to get geared unless you lay out cash, and continue minis when its only a battle between the 10s for kills.

I don’t know the solution.

2 Likes

This sums it up pretty accurately on why I decided to take a break. There’s a few members of the community who fit the bill.

That being said, The app itself is a good addition to the game on a whole. The tier 1 gear restriction is to keep things balanced with minimal entry grind required. I said last night on my stream that I’m just taking time off as I have plenty of times before and I will likely return to the pvp of aoc after my gifted wow sub runs out and i once again yearn for the combat that only AoC can offer.

Plus I still plan to film my youtube series in aoc, for now anyways… Still need crom based character actors to volunteer by the by. Drop by discord for info. Discord

As for the topic of discussion here, I don’t expect Funcom to churn out any new content ever. They can’t even answer a petition in a timely manner. It’s sad. But in no way should there be a thing as OP suggested where Funcom requires a percent of the community to complete content before making more content. If you want people to play your MMO you have to invest in it and crank out more content. Otherwise they’ll just go play wow.

Or perhaps @Funcom should consider adding a user made content system, let people make their own dungeons and what not. Neverwinter the mmo used to offer such a thing and it was pretty fun.

Food for thought. Carry on.

2 Likes

Seem like its time to move my babynecro to fury thr.

An see if i can find the fyn again

2 Likes

If Funcom added a cross-server match making system for both pve and pvp this game would have a million+ subs. Even if it was just for six party member content.

The expansion can come out regardless of T6 percentage completion. It’s not going to change company growth.

The easiest solution is to merge fury into Crom and enable PvP flagging that can only be toggled on and off in hub cities.

The PVP flagging system is already a functional mechanic within the game. If you’ve ever done a siege with a guild that was not your own then you have some understanding of how PVP flagging functions. Funcom just needs to build off of that foundation. Because right now that flagging system is limited by a range. When you go beyond a certain range away from your group leader your safety flag clicks off and teammates will be able to kill you at that point.

Funcom just needs to take away that range limitation make it server wide and clickable on or off.

The only thing I see really potentially would be players using it in ways that it shouldn’t be used.

For example
Having a team of six for world PvP events and keeping one healer flagged PVP off. what this would do is allow that healer to heal his team unmolested. but at the same time that healer wouldn’t be able to assist dealing out damage or CC’s. So in my opinion as someone who PvP’s a lot I don’t really see that as being that advantageous. I bring it up because it was previously argued that that is a possibility and I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about it. I don’t really see it being a big deal

Funcom just needs to make it happen.

Cross server tech is something that was promised by funcom a long time ago and never delivered.

They likely can’t :man_shrugging:

Hmm, If you’re doing group arenas, a green name healer won’t be able to heal you. And you usually even have to log off to fix it after the event ends.

Im toxic <3

@ Everyone :dizzy: Thank you for voting :boom: 31.77% :boom:

Remember Remember the 5th of November, Stay Salty My Friends :skull_and_crossbones:
Have fun :innocent:

I have not tested the new OS. I am glad for new things, but I wish for real content - a new dungeon, a new region. I play perhaps differently, I like to explore, to admire the art work, to see what awaits around the corner. Onslaught is fine for a brief hack and slash approach, but I would love to have something else.

Even adding shards to existing dungeons would perhaps increase interest in doing them again.

3 Likes

Same here basically. I am glad some people enjoy the content, or at least enjoy the loot they are getting (lol). This personally isn’t for me. Instead of whining about it, I’d rather be happy there is at least something, and have a small glimpse of hope there’s something else for me in the future.

3 Likes