New Follower Limit - Feedback thread

But is it not also a challenge to attack a very well defended base?

Are we being punished for performance issues on consoles and low end PC’s?

2 Likes

In PvP, yes.
But in PvE you need only 3 thralls to defend a public maproom.
I know, cuz I’ve been maintaining public maprooms for 1 and a half years.

The smaller and more logistically sound you build your base, the less effort it is to defend it.

People only need 400 soldiers to defend their egos, not their actual functional base which can consist of a single 8x8 (on PvE)

1 Like

my base is on a island not half the map and most bases clans have r thrall wheels i only take up 2 squares on the map and on the island i have over 1000 thralls and 3000 pets and at my thrall wheel i put 5 inside so before u assume how ever one play make sure ur facts are strait and i played on many pvp server most big clans pick a island or the dregs or a good spot and defend it very well and only put like 40 thralls around there thrall wheels i have also never seen a base on offical or private server that has a base bigger than 4 square by square have u ever played in a big tribe and seen how nice most r when it come to not taking over the map and how nice we are to new people

1 Like

The average person sees your wall of china across the map, and logs out. That’s how the average player plays.

By capping your army, an average player actually get’s to have a chance of even making a difference.

When you’re in a tribe, you jolly well should consolidate your tribeys to help defend the HQ.

If you only have 60 cap for 2 people, you 2 have no business owning half the danm map to yourselves. If might is right, then test your mettle on the new system. See what real might looks like in a fair fight.

1 Like

You’re conflating “ego” with people’s joy of building and capturing thralls.

Y’know. 2 of the selling points of the game.

7 Likes

You’re just in a particularly vulnerable position on this.

But considering you are staying remarkably cool about the way i’m hammering you into the ground, i’ll ease off. You’ve got good character and you might have a point about me being moody tonight.

3 Likes

Some players like to make empires that they rule by themselves, i understand there needs to be a limit but they also need to take into account that thralls are also used as decorations more then defence at times in pve

9 Likes

A wall is the easiest thing to attack, even if its guarded.

Walling off areas (on PVP) is no issue, since a handful of bombs can make a hole you run through.

Owning large areas of the map isn’t an issue since the map is extremely massive for only 40 people. If they had 200 on the map, it would be a different story.

If youre going to say “don’t own what you cant defend”, clearly that point has been made by people saying they have the thralls and pets they need in order to defend what they have.

If the issue is to help solo players/ new players raid clans…shouldn’t it be a challenge for a solo player to attack an established clan? I mean, anyone can get into most base designs with ease (not including lollipop bases) if you know how to attack. Removing the defences just means its now easier to raid.

1 Like

People who love building can build vertically. Some seriously amazing builds have been done vertically. I find it very very very suspicious when people decide to build “public markets” across 3x3 kilometers of land, on an official server that doesn’t run Pippi.

1 Like

You! Get back in your PvP box xD

whips Zero-G with a wet noodle

I’m also a console player and my Internet connection is quite bad. But still … I don’t like this idea at all. Just farmed 120 thralls this week. Since we are only 5 players we would only be allowed to have 75 thralls which means that I farmed 45 named volcano fighters for nothing (I’m not even considering the thralls we’ve already placed and all the animals in our raided former main base). I also had big performance issues in this base but that was not because of the thralls but more because of the massive landclaim (about 40-50k foundations I think). Even if this was because of the thralls … I’d still love not to be limited.

6 Likes

I get what your saying.

It’s about streamlining the experience.

Let me put it this way. You know how in the next WoW expansion “Shadowlands” they are compressing 160 levels into 50 levels right? All will stay the same, just that it’s more compact.

The same applies to defending 5 bases with 400 thralls, compared to 1 base with 55 thralls.

The experience will be the same, just more action and less logistical mess.

I’ve seen it, toured it, enjoyed the dang volcano for the first time cuz of it. If you could see this wonderful man’s empty, lonely clan barracks – some with decorations – others with name placards, you’d understand he’s been on our server for a very long time. And with a judicious number of defenders, considering.

In the old days we’d call the outer defenses of what he’s built “Hoardings,” but these days people call them Feudal Castle walls, in broken concentric circles. He’s basically done what he’s supposed to do, become the Server V-GER with 26.3 semi-impenetrable shells. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

But then that forces players to reduce what they have, move everything to one more defendable base. That goes against everything Funcom has said where they want no restrictions on building.

Why cant I make a dummy base, well defended with nothing in it if it gets raided? I cant now.

So, these changes are forcing us to a different playstyle, to limit what they first told us they wouldn’t limit…and why? Its to band aid fix the lag for console and low end PC’s right?

4 Likes

They are pruning the ecosystem, that’s what.

It’s fine for someone to limit the freedom of others by plastering dummy abses all over the place, but not ok for Funcom to limit the others from limiting others?

Plz. Double Standards.

3 Likes

Not at all. Limiting the number of defences I can have is no where near the same as making a mock base somewhere. Like Ive said, there is an endless amount of room for the 40 player cap to build on…so yes, clans will have lots of real estate. And, the best part of PVP…if you want someones base moved, you blow it up.

Most like the mock base would be built away from your main locations, hidden, to make people search for them. Having them away from a lot of other structures means that loading issues will be less of an issue. Granted, the load and lag issues are the problem, but you can build a medium sized base and it lags you out. The issue is loading times, not thralls.

Again, this argument would hold more value if there was 200 players on the map, not 40.

6 Likes

A swathe of waterless desert devoid of naught but wood and stone isn’t the same real estate as the mounds.

Try fitting 40 people near Asagarth, Godsclaw and Mounds. People aren’t stupid. Just because a map is super large, doesn’t mean all of it is useful.

Then whose at fault if they want to build right beside another base? I mean, I can see it on a PVE server where everyone builds near points of interest…but again, that’s a choice you make…so I have to pay the price for it?

Theres nothing stopping a player from building out of render range of other bases on a PVE server to eliminate the issue.

On a PVP server…its not really smart to build beside others.

4 Likes

That’s the whole point of PvP - To have a price to pay for a choice. You conveniently make the choice for others when you completely lock down a place with 400 thralls, by right of being there longer.

That’s a stagnant ecology… I love it how in PvP people are so selective about balance if it inconveniences them.

1 Like

That makes no sense though. I have my base designed and built, with the 400-450 ish thralls and pets there for a reason. Its very hard to attack. Sure, I can make a lollipop base on a 4x4 frame 100 walls high…but I don’t want that. I have what I have, because there is (was) no limits in the game. So, I wanted my stuff safe, and hard to attack. I chose this, so Im ok with what happens if/when I get attacked. What I don’t like is Funcom saying on one hand “we don’t want limits on what players can do” and on the other, they limit everything we do, for the sake of pleasing console and low end PC players.

There is no feasible argument to have that many in one base on a PVE server unless the person loves a massive land claim. With no fear of attack from players, its only the purge they need to worry about, you can defend bases easier, with less.

4 Likes