With all the fanfare for a new map coming this year, there’s no time like the present to begin speculating what that new map will be. I for one am excited to see all new locations across the world, beyond the Exiled Lands. To kick things off, here’s my personal theory on what I think the map may be/what I want it to be:
Hyperborea, the barbaric ice land.
Dark gods and twisted monstrosities lurk under a dying land, slowly succumbing to the ever encroaching ice walls. A once lush and tropical paradise now is threatened by both the immenent Ice Age, and the constant onslaught of the nordheimers. A land of mighty and ancient stonework; new castles emerge just as quick as the old are razed and left in ruin by the perpetual raiding forces.
Under the shadow of the dead volcano, Voormithadreth, indescribable fiends lurk. Beyond the safety of the crumbling walls, the fearsome Voormis revel in their beastly rituals dedicated to Tsathoggua, the Whisperer in the darkness.
Weaved deep within the mountain lies the web of Atlach-Nacha, connecting our world to that of the realm of dreams. All spiders pay homage to their regent, and the eternal weaving which will conclude with time itself.
The cold draws ever closer as the arctic expands it’s icy touch further each day. The cold winds bring with them blizzards unlike that of a sandstorm, which stings your flesh and draws the very breath from your lungs. Remaining exposed to such extreme weather for long would certainly end in death.
A land rife with warriors of untold savagery, and monsters of untold horror can be the perfect place of study for those who walk the line between. Many sorcerors covet the ancient knowledge hidden away by Ubbo-Sathla, which is said to contain the knowledge of the universe itself and beyond.
Evidence behind this
- Tsathoggua and others are already referenced ingame.
- Dagon is present, confirming the tie-in with the rest of the Lovecraft Circle
- Hyperborea while not overly detailed by Robert E Howard, was definitely so by Clark Ashton Smith (Klarkash-Ton), with a lot of direct tie-ins to the works of their mutual friend, H.P. Lovecraft.
- We don’t have anything belonging to the Hyperboreans ingame besides one set of slaver armor. This seems intentional to me at least, that they’re waiting to release all that content in a large push.
- Sorcery, while not 100% confirmed to even be happening, would definitely tie-in to such a land.
That’s it for my theory, feel free to add or critique any of it. I’d love to hear what other people think/hope it may be as well, leave your theories here!