New workstations VS Old Thrall system

I am not liking the new crafting stations for the following reasons. Bases must now be considerably large to accommodate the number of benches needed. Also before it was a huge bonus to get a tier 4 crafter at midlevel now that been take away.
Thrall hunting was a large and enjoyable part of the game, this has been taken away and I must sadly say it has greatly diminished my enjoyment of the game.
I agree that finding a certain crafter could be frustrating but I feel placing so much on the benches is to swing the pendulum to the opposite side instead of moving it to the middle ground.
Thrall hunting is nearly useless with the new system and I would really like to move back to the old, crafting system.

9 Likes

Preaching to the choir my friend. The only thing that I can think of that is beneficial about that update was that the benches cosmetically, look awesome. The things lost though to gain the cosmetic looks I think was very detrimental to the game.

1 Like

But you can live OK without all those new benches. Improved ones are the most balanced choice. And Thrall hunting is more important now: even T1 Thralls make sense because they give some small boost to stats. Some T1 have extra recipes, all T3 give more extra recipes. But T4 Armorers and Blacksmiths are even more welcome now than before because of their 3 “flavours”.

4 Likes

It totally depends… for example if you play PvP and need a small base you’re never going to build the dye bench or the fine metal crafts smelter for example ever…

The only thing I can think of is the tinkerers bench and tanners table that takes up more space than before. But those are minor.

Improved benches are the way to go on compact bases. Always have been.

If you need the big benches you’re already in the position to dominate anyway.

2 Likes

I totally agree, I find myself in the same boat

You need a dye bench if you are playing PvP because you need warpaints but you will probably craft the bench, place it, craft what you need and pick it up if you are lacking space.

1 Like

Ohh yeah I forgot about that
But yes you still don’t place it in you base :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have found thralls to be less useful now speed and reduced costs were the key to allow a player new to a server to compete with established players, You could get crafting speed and reduced cost by getting a T4 crafter early in the game. Before you can build improved benches.

And the 1/2 off fireball for tnt crafting at cheapest cost.

New benches and t4 thrall overhaul is just another thing this game did not need but funcom decided to spend time on instead of fixing stuff that was actually in need of fixing. lol.

I like the new crafting stations, but I don’t like that most of the crafter thralls are now mostly irrelevant. That doesn’t mean going back to the old crafting system is the only solution.

For example, Funcom could give unique recipes to different named thralls and we’re back to having good reasons to hunt them.

8 Likes

I like the new crafting stations and agree that “space” is a resource that can be factored into what I want to build.

I still say the way to solve the crafter thrall issue was to let us level crafting thralls from Tier 1 to Tier 4 through “crafting.” We could still hunt for the “exclusive” ones or we could “level” a crafting thrall (and let it gain a random perk(s) like the fighters/archers gain – learning a specific set of recipes as the thrall levels). Fighters/archers gain combat perks whereas crafting thralls gain recipes. For example, maybe you level an Armorer that can make Hyperborean heavy armor (highly sought after) or maybe you level an Armorer that can make Hyena-Fur medium armor?

7 Likes

Agree way over 100% if 100% could be exceeded.

1 Like

I like the idea of being able to level up crafting thralls.

I would add that other players should not be able to steal my crafter thralls. Either they leave them be or kill them.

2 Likes

Honestly I if they just made the thralls progressively use less materials per tier it would be a huge improvement. T1 using 15% less materials, T2 use 30% less, T3 uses 45% less and T4 uses 60% less or something along those lines. The game feels more grindy now than it did before. I don’t mind the new benches but I hate that better thralls aren’t able to managing their resources more efficiently.

4 Likes

Next to that, all the stealth nerfs aka increase cost because some benches do not get the reduction bonus (Tinkerers Bench, Tanner’s Bench, Dyer’s Bench → 2DP for WP, etc.)

1 Like

I have not lost my hopes. Hang on in there!

I do not know if we can make them go back to that point :open_mouth: I would be surprised if they do.

I will try and put down some of my thoughts on the artisans/follower system.

1. I would remove all the T1/T2/T3 thralls from the game and keep only the T4(With names!) . Siptah gave me a small hope to give the low tier thralls a meaning… did not lasted long…
    (Kinda got bored of seeing so much discrimination “he is not just a random “Cimmerian Fighter III” , he has a name! so give him one”. I will decide if i baptize him again or not :))). )
  2. We already have the leveling system implemented. Why not make use of it on Artisans aswell, let us level them and reach a certain specialization we choose to. Maybe our smelter can be a good blacksmith also :frowning:
  3. Make Archers feel Archers again.
    (I have not played with a archer thrall in a while now and recently decided to level 2, 1xFighter 1xArcher, not much of a difference. But their draw time/Attack time is daamn slow. Almost no difference between light and heavy attacks and they also get stuck in heavy draw animation! looks funny when is doing it while guarding.
  4. Back to point one. If all low tier thralls will be removed, then you say…But what that changes? Same thing but everyone been baptized and given a name.
    (We have the all known Pippi mod. Time that Funcom looks deeper into this. Have certain thralls immune to Truncheon and Blunted Javelin/Arrows, between them you have the T4 that you can knockdown. It can be rare, it can be a 100% spawn of a different t4 thrall. All i know is that some t4 artisans on Siptah spawn in some “crowded” locations, not easy to get him out alive and torture him :smiley: and i like it. You add a t4 figther + archer in that group and you start thinking who to kill and who not to…Back to Pippi…Places like Seperumaru/Asagarth/Mounds can be populated with “inactive” thralls if they feel that removing all low tier thralls is to much for a zone…)

I am again no developer(so i do not know if it is even doable, but removing things should not be THAT hard), but i sincerely do not see the reason why we have t1’s,t2’s,t3’s,t4’s,t5’s :))) when it all could be 1. Artisan George! for example :slight_smile: and i choose what he becomes :japanese_ogre:

I have to go attack mode on this one :stuck_out_tongue:

How about for once they do not choose the “easy way out” and put effort into the entire follower system. Clearly their AI went Berserk mode lately, clearly they need to have another look at it. They done it once, i think it is time to have a deeper look at it once Siptah is out and stable on every platform. ( IF they plan to move forwards with CE )

(Since leveling feature been implemented i have not seen the thralls acting so buggy as their are now)

Imo this needs to be prioritized soon, together with some others also (undermesh on Siptah being one of them). I know…i already seen “When next DLC” topics popping…please give us an AI Improvement DLC :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like this. :wink:

Ohh god no. I am all for AI improvement but the thought that it could be DLC raises the hair on the back of my neck. No thank you.

1 Like