This is getting boring and frustrating.
If you catch them on foot, they run. And come back later with horse and thrall/pet. Or call their teammates that will come with horses and thralls/pets.
They do too much damage when sitting on horses. They also never get interrupted like you get when doing melee attacks. You can simply remove the stagger mechanic at this point, so people on foot have a chance to defend themselves.
Yesterday I got surprised by 1 guy with full epic heavy armor on horseback with a thrall. Luckily I was in PvP spec, so I could fight him (I was on foot and without pet/thrall). I lowered his health down to 25% and then my teammates came (with horses) and they killed him within seconds, whilst I had to fight him for several minutes because his horse tanked most of my attacks.
Horses are just unfair. They give you too many advantages. I will make a list here:
- Very high damage. Feels like 2x the damage
- The horse is basically a meatshield that soaks up the damage you might receive
- You can not get interrupted and staggered
- They have a natural speed advantage, which is okay, because that’s what a horse is used for
- The hitbox of their spear attack is bigger for some reason
- They can apply bleed with every hit whilst when you are on foot, you have to do a full combo for that
- They can trample and knock you down, which is also fine, since it’s a heavy horse
- You don’t use stamina when attacking
- The lance only needs 2 hits to kill a player. I thought this was a tool to knock off players from horses and not do incredible damage?
- You can always run away. Even when you get chased by other horses.
Here is a list of the current disadvantages of horses:
- You can’t heal when you sit on horseback
- You turn in a bigger circle, instead of instantly. A scout saddle really helps with that though
- The jump is not very high. So sometimes it’s is harder to pass terrain/buildings
Just by looking at the points you can clearly see why players only fight on horses. I think we need some kind of balance and counters for horses (maybe make the spear a counter with extra stamina damage).