Pick up followers + place crafters as fighters

I believe they are implementing a follower cap, so this would harmonize nicely with that.

Why in the world you think it’s easy to move 100 followers is beyond me. Also you would always be just outside of range of NPC camps with the placement.

You forgot to pick up your followers? Good. I’ll just pick them off one by one then :smiley:

Is it outside of raidtime? Nice, I’ll use your followers then to kill the PvE elements for me.

I’ll repeat: yes it changes the gameplay but in no way is this exploitable.

Ha Ha Ha Ha.

1 Like

Have them expire and lower the timer every time one is added to the inventory.

1 thrall 1 min
2 thralls 30 sec
3 thralls 15 sec
…etc…

Have them disappear from the inventory when going through an obelisk or maproom.

It’s obvious none of you have actually played on a competitive server with pickup mod where you could pick up your followers. This is not as powerful as you think it is.

Let’s assume you want to “exploit” this to the fullest. How would that go? We can imagine an attack on an enemy base or as biggcane55 suggests, door camping.

How many do you pick up at the same time, 5? 10? 20? You would have to have all of their gear on you as well. Then place them down one at a time, in hostile territory, and then gear them up. One. At. A. Time. All the while risking that an enemy player will come at you, kill you, and steal all of the picked up thralls and their gear. It’s for sure you need to have encumbrance build if you are picking up more than 2-3 so you are easy pickings for anyone that has decent gear and a horse.

Where would you place the thralls if you attack an enemy base? You have to place them a good distance away because the land is claimed. So it’s obvious you can’t use them for offense, but you can use them as a fallback position. Meanwhile your enemy, who can also pick up thralls, could do the same and place their thralls around your raid base. It’s risky of course because you could kill said enemy and take those thralls. But if it’s an actual raid base the land is claimed and your enemy can’t place it’s thralls close enough for a thrall war. In any case you don’t want to place a thrall close because at placement the thrall is naked and you have to stand there and gear the thrall up, all the while that thrall might run off naked and try to punch an enemy. You might also be under fire, poison arrows, acid arrows etc.

I’ve been on a highly competitive PvP server with the pickup mod (this was back in 2019) and everyone tried to exploit anything as much as possible. All thralls had throwing axes and could kill you in two swings. Even then, being able to pick up thralls had very little effect. Nobody would bring more than 2-4 thralls with them in a raid. It was pointless because the extra thralls are only for defense.

With the recent changes thralls do 50% less damage to players AND you have to actually level each thrall up for it to be any good. Back then you just collected the Captain or Berserkers and they were good to go.

Door camping? Please. If it’s raid time I’ll kill all your thralls, just pick them off at a distance. If it’s not raid time I’ll just walk past them. The time it takes me to kill one of your thralls is a tiny fraction of the time you spent building that thrall up. No matter what kind of thrall or what kind of gear they have.

Exploitable? I think not.

PS. the inventory only has 200 slots and you need 7 slots for each follower (follower x1, weapon x1 and armor x5). So you could only pick up 28 at the same time + their gear. If you had the time to convert, train (level) and gear up that many thralls AND the balls to actually carry them all with you knowing that somebody could steal them off you. Then you deserve to reap the rewards from the damage they cause!!!

and now add a clan of 5 and say again that it is not an issue to pickup thralls

and a bit more technical aspects to this topic:
currently it is not possible to save the needed data (level, stats, perks, …) into the game item, the item you have in your inventory. so funcom has to add a complete new system for such data and only for pickup thralls… not very likely. also not absolute unlikely but the investment compared to the benefit is very very high

1 Like

Please tell me how that changes anything?

Please be specific. How can you exploit this?

What would you do?

multiply your number with 5 and say again that this is not an issue and btw. I use the term issue for a good reason. if the game allows pickup it’s not an exploit but the possibilities are… are real issue. more power for bigger clans.

such a system would only make sense with additional restrictions. pickup cooldown of 120 minutes, placeabel only on own landclaim,… but this will also add more effort to the topic and makes it even more unlikely

There are already good restrictions in place or coming.

1. Thrall limit, which I believe is going to be 50?
  2. Thrall damage to players is 50%, recent update.
  3. You can’t place on claimed land, that is enough.

Any additional restrictions are pointless because the ability to pick up your thralls and place them is not as powerful as you think.

Doesn’t matter how many are in a clan. Multiplying the numbers has no effect on weather this is exploitable or not.

I doubt that it’s that difficult. They just have to copy the pickup mod.

Worst case, you lose all levels of your picked up thrall. That could be the deciding restriction.

No, not if they implement a follower cap.

last status: it will be higher than the initial number

not really relevant compared to the scenario that you only can have 1 follower per player

i believe this alone is far too little restriction and opens the door to trolls and abuse. placing the thralls around a new players base at the landclaim limit… happy trolling

it is very powerful

again: an ISSUE. I never used exploit. a simple pickup implementation is an ISSUE

i doubt that this is what the players would expect. level 1 with some random stats and new perks?

You can still only have one follower per player! Picking up your thralls won’t change that. You can only change where the others stand/defend.

You can already troll like this, just takes a little more time.

Please explain to me how it is powerful? I have yet to hear a good argument for this.

And? Me not being able to pick up thralls is an ISSUE as well :smiley:

But wouldn’t that solve all the issues with this proposal?

If they did implement it, I wonder what it would do to the database size. Before I let my stuff on officials decay, I had several chests with thralls in them. Not just crafters, but fighters, archers, dancers, and some bearers. Now imagine several clans like that on a server, with their stashes of thralls.

Also, the first time someone discovers an unpatched duping bug, everyone who got lucky on the follower-leveling slot machine will use that to create an army of overpowered unbeatable murder machines.

I remember one notorious ganker on the Siptah PVE-C server where I used to play and how she bragged about her greater saber. She wasn’t happy to eventually lose it, but at least she couldn’t turn it into 50 clones :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, we can keep asking for thrall pickup and for other things we would like to see, but this one doesn’t seem likely to happen. Who knows, maybe they’ll eventually solve all the potential issues with this and implement it. Just don’t hold your breath :wink:

So your issue with it is:

1. Possibly enlarged database.
  2. Dupers/cheaters will benefit.

I guess it’s a good change then. Do we really want dupers to dictate what change is implemented?

Regarding the enlarged database, that is an easy fix. Just don’t save into memory any levels/xp of the thrall. Then you squash both your issues with it since dupers won’t benefit (more than they already do).
Plus it would be a huge restriction. You would have to think twice before actually picking up your thrall.

An added benefit, you get to reset your thralls stats. Or maybe there is a system in place where this thrall always gets the same stats.

So many possible creative solutions.

You were concerned in your first post about the PvP ramifications. Care to elaborate on that? Or did you change your mind?

I’m sorry, but if you can place an army of thralls wherever you are and then see no problem in that…

so many creative solutions that drove the effort to infinity and fortunately makes the whole topic unrealistic

why?

no it would make it a worthless feature and wasted implementation time. break bonds and catch a new one if you need it. fixed

Oh, no, I wouldn’t. As a PVE-C player, I would be very, very happy to do it, because of what you said next:

Right now, the mod(s) that allow picking followers up do it by destroying your follower-in-the-world and giving you a follower-in-the-inventory that corresponds to the “archetype” (technically not the correct word) of the follower you were picking up.

In other words, if you’re picking up a level 20 T2 Cimmerian Archer with specific stats and growth chances, all you get is an inventory item for the T2 Cimmerian Archer. When you place it back down, you get a level 0 T2 Cimmerian Archer different growth chances.

What that allows you is to circumvent some of the effort you need to go through when you’re not happy with your follower’s RNG. Instead of breaking your follower’s bond and hunting another one, you can just pick it up and place it again, and repeat it until you’re happy.

Is that an issue? Depends on who you ask. I hate the slot-machine RNG stuff, so I would be ecstatic to have this. But Funcom probably has a drastically different opinion, seeing as how they implement it in the first place :laughing:

Also, Funcom is not alone. There are players who think this would be a problem, too, like @Palm522. I disagree with him, but we all have our opinions and I can’t pretend mine is the only one :slight_smile:

Personally, I wouldn’t mind having the thrall pick-up feature, but I think it’s not the best solution. I believe it would be much more fun and immersive to have two different new features that would cover the majority of the use cases we’ve been discussing here, without introducing undue problems.

One feature I would like is the one that is currently being discussed on another thread: the ability to revive fallen followers. Specifically, I would like to be able to do it the way I proposed elsewhere, via religious altars (for a hefty price), which would also help to revitalize religion in PVE.

The second feature I would like is the ability to reset the follower’s levels, attributes, and perks – but not growth chances.

Would this help me with moving my base? Nope, I would still have to do it by hand, hopefully with the help of a clanmate. But it would help me manage the follower cap in a satisfactory way, and it would help with many other things follower pickup would help with.

I didn’t change my mind, but there’s also nothing to elaborate further. I described my concerns and people have offered their own opinions. Some think it’s a legit issue, some think it’s nothing to be concerned about.

2 Likes

You have yet to tell me why you think it is a problem. I’m eager to know your reasons. I’ve been on a competitive server with this ability, I’ve seen people try to use their army of thralls like that. It simply doesn’t work and I’ve explained why in other posts.

1. Makes the game more fluid.
  2. With a thrall cap you don’t have to break bonds to add more thralls, you can pick up and replace.
  3. Because I like it.

Not worthless to me. Not worthless to CodeMage (see post above).

I like the idea of reviving fallen thralls/pets. Implementation can be very varied though.

For me I just like to keep things simple and I think in terms of PvP. Being able to pick up thralls is a very convenient way of reorganizing. It does not have the PvP ramifications people here think it does. I think most players feel like thralls are overpowered and they are scared of them. But let me tell you that any PvP-er with proper gear can take on any amount of thralls (no matter how well geared) with relative ease. The threat is other players and these other players can’t move the thralls around in a fight. They can just do a static defense. There are always options to deal with that.

The pickup implementation can be done in many ways, I honestly don’t have a preference. I do believe though that it would be beneficial to implement.

@CodeMage @Testerle @biggcane55

How about only being able to pick up crafter thralls if they are placed as fighters?

Placing them down would allow you to dress them up however you liked.

Picking up all thralls is maybe too much of a change in gameplay, even though I would like it.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.