Placing Wheels of Pain

Can the Devs please do something about this? These are possibly one of the twitchiest items to place in the game. I have a perfectly flat and supported surface of foundations more the big enough for a WoP and it either says there’s not enough contact with the ground or it’s overlapping with something, neither is accurate.

Meanwhile, people drop them askew on the side of hills and it works fine.

1 Like

Just saw something from about a year ago that it was being looked into… I get that this isn’t a huge issue as far as the Devs are concerned but it is significant to players trying to fit things in existing structures. Plus the OCD issues it triggers are no joke.

Seriously… I’m like 5 minutes away from tearing down the whole damn base just to move everything over by 1 and a half blocks.

1 Like

I’ve found that if you lower it a bit, then spin in around you’ll usually find at least one snappoint.

1 Like

I’ve done all that and even when it does work (which it didn’t) that’s not a fix, that’s a work around. This has been an issue for a considerable amount of time and is either an easy fix that is being ignored or it points to a bigger issue. My guess is the latter.

To clarify - I was able to place it, eventually, but not where it was intended to go. Hence my belief that placement issues with this and a few other things on foundations that are on “mountains” points to a potentially bigger issue. If my foundations, or whatever, say they are 100% stable I shouldn’t have any issues placing anything.

1 Like

The issue is that the items are not aligning to your foundation, but are still using the terrain underneath as a reference. If you use wedge foundations it’s even worse. This is a lot more noticeable with the larger place-ables like the animal pen.

It’s also more than a little silly that they don’t block the respawning of plants, ect.

4 Likes

Oh god… I forgot about pens… I spend 45 minutes when they first came out trying to place one and just said F**k It. It wasn’t worth the hassle.

1 Like

They do. Unless you are talking about grass? Cause, the computer resource demands from that alone, would be insane. Not even $200 million dollar Ark offers a solution for that. This, supposedly small thing from the outside perspective, gets asked (a lot). Simply not possible yet. Though I hear there is one whole game out there in the dozens of sandbox genre to have found a reasonable way to do that.

As for the OP, I’ll look at the placement boxes from my side of things but I doubt it can be improved from that angle. The pet pens can’t without allowing it to overlap more with stuff, looked into those already a while back.

1 Like

I don’t understand what that means? I’m just saying that if I can put it on some foundations I should be able to put it on all foundations provided there’s sufficient space to place it. (ie I’m not trying to place a GWoP in a 4x4 room)

It’s indicative of the little problems that get ignored. It’s irksome. Simple solution, make the bounding box smaller and/or snap-able to foundations. You can’t clip though walls anymore, as far as I know, so if someone tries to take advantage of the smaller box by placing it in a space that is to small for the intended volume it should still give some error or another.

1 Like

A number of items extend below the foundation and ‘could’ be affected by bumps that are not visible.

Just an observation from deleting the wrong foundation :blush:

Regards

jim

Again, that’s a work-around, not a fix. FunCom ignores it because you all are happy to use weird little hacks to make something work as intended.

It’s just irksome that they’ll spend the time to make it so you have to go into a cave and loot chests to get black and/or white dye but won’t fix something that’s been an actual issue, small though it may be, for a very long time.

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean much of anything. If you put them down on a flat surface they are supposed to place. That extra bit is weird and, presumably, to give you room to play with in placement but if thats the case it’s just in the way.

Interesting perspective. Yet, somehow, all of us have been able to play the game, and most of us actually enjoy a challenge or seven, even in crafting and building. I suppose I enjoy the journey more than some folks.

I hope you do also :slight_smile:

Regards

jim

One of the biggest issues when placing animal pens or thrall wheels are doors of any kind (they give off a collision to where they open to), stairs (haven’t figured this one out but I’ve had a staircase on the outer edge while placing a whole 2 foundations down and it obstructed placement), and finally lighting or anything hanging around.

Usually my thrall wheel pens are 6x6 foundations, then place gateways all the way on the edge to cover. Then place the thrall wheel, then ceilings then doors.

1 Like

I don’t have OCD but just hate it when Taskmaster sinks into foundations :unamused: VERY immersion-breaking.

It is not “a challenge”, it’s just an old bug. Collecting material for T3 building and Armored Animal Pen can be a challenge. Having obviously enough room but no opportunity to place a T3 Pen instead of T1 Pen without dismantling half of your building is an annoying bug.

1 Like

Nah, I still get rocks and trees respawning inside of my pens most of the time. If I can find time later I’ll replicate it again and take some screenshots. :slight_smile: I don’t use animals much anymore since they kill all the tralls I’m trying to tame.

Oh that. Ya, not sure if that’s intentional but its because pens don’t have landclaim on them for some reason (or didn’t, I have looked in a while).

No disrespect, but as has been mentioned upthread by @SylenThunder, the wheel you’re trying to place is attempting to snap to the terrain beneath your foundations. If you elevate your body, the snapping system adjusts and often allows you to place it without going up any farther than a single foundation.

If you build an animal pen, I strongly suggest placing it into flat ground, embedded. Then encircle it with foundations, enclose it and wrap again with foundations.

@SylenThunder, how would that happen if the pens are on foundations? Confused here, unless your server has an extremely low landclaim radius.

Regards

jim

I understand that but, again, the weirdness is not how it’s intended to work. If you have a stable foundation you’re supposed to be able to place them as you will on said foundations, assuming adequate space.

Everything else is either a bug or a workaround. Not calling it as such is just saying to FunCom that you are fine with having to fidget with something instead of having it work as is intended.