Please Help! Starting a private server on PS4/5

Hello!

I’m thinking of starting up a PS4/5/oceanic/pvp/exiled lands server but I’ve had no experience at all with the backend of hosting one, I’ve been an admin on a few and enjoy setting up events for the players but I’m not sure how difficult/confusing the backend is, does anyone have any tips for a newbie? What are some things I should watch out for or might get tripped up on, any help is appreciated, thanks!

2 Likes

I have had one since shortly after the game came out on ps4. My first recommendation is setting up your gportal account using a P/c or tablet so you can see what you are doing. For me some of the settings are not intuitive since I am older guy and not tech savvy. Will ad more shortly @MrTriggers

1 Like

After you make changes you have to scroll back up and save them. There is a description of what the settings I believe it is under the line you want to adjust. There are others much more knowledgeable than I. Who can help you

1 Like

Alot of handy settings ingame.

1 Like

@DelRioServerMaster hey my friend if I remember right you have a had a few server’s apologies if I am wrong but if I am right could you give @MrTriggers some tips thanks in advance.

1 Like

Ps your tag kinda gives it away can not remember what you play on.

1 Like

My server is an in-house PC so I’m not sure how much I could help for a Console version. I also run straight Vanilla with 2x gather and slight boosts to XP (combat and crafting) but haven’t done special events so again my insight is limited.

Sorry that I couldn’t be more helpful :frowning:

Thanks @sestus2009! Appreciate you taking the time to help out, I’m not overly tech savvy myself but any tips are welcome, I guess I can just jump in and have a look around and if I get stuck I can ask more direct questions :slight_smile:

Hey thats fine @Mr_Triggers seems to have done events before as admin. I have found gportal settings confusing at times. The fact u set this up on your :desktop_computer: is cool to me. @Mr_Triggers I am in the US but if we’re both awake at the same time and no one is on my server we could actually go into psn chat chat I could turn off my server and go into settings can’t get in when it is running. sestus2009 is my psn handle.

3 Likes

I will just lay an opinion and act as you think, after all your money your choice.
Leave everything vanilla.
Change nothing on parameters at all.
Before you open the server go and mark the areas that you want to keep as an admin, just to make sure that you will have your own space to do your events.
The day of your events make it pve day until the time of the Event. This will help the new players to farm without fear and grow a bit, or do dungeons and walk around the map without fear.
Make the difference, don’t ban unless very necessary, try to have healthy conversations and encourage the sports spirit in your server.
If you want to pvp on your own server, create a second character and pvp with this character (fix another account) Yet make it known to all the members. With this character do not use admin mode ever !!!
Stay true and fair and people will love you.
If you like, do not provide start kits, people must earn their advance alone, after all it is pvp vanilla!!!

However, anything you’ll decide is all good for me, this was just my humble opinion!

2 Likes

Well put.

2 Likes

Thanks @stelagel, it’s always good to hear peoples opinion on what has worked and what hasn’t from their own experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do have one question about Dynamic Building Damage though, last time I was doing Admin stuff it was before they had implemented it and offline raiding was tricky to police, but from my understanding enabling dynamic building damage meant you could create a rule where clans couldn’t be off-line raided/building damage would be turned off if all members had been offline for a certain amount of time, does that sounds about right and is it working as intended? Cheers :slight_smile:

EDIT: ok scratch that, just did a recent forum search and it turns out there are some issues with the DBD system, I guess we’ll have to stick to policing off-line raiding the old fashioned way! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The “dynamic” is not good to work with raid hours. This system is good for 24h pvp. I remember a server was full of builds but in raid hours was empty :man_shrugging:. People did not log in to protect them self from raids, so it was a bit boring for my teammates and we left!

1 Like

Yeah I get what you mean, I recall having the same issue on a server I was an admin on, we had specific PvP hours but everybody quickly learned that the best defence in that situation was to just not login during raid hours, and nobody was so the raiding aspect was mostly quiet while out or raid hours was used to keep building more and more until your base gradually became an almost impenetrable fortress… definitely didn’t help the lag in some cases.

I’m trying to think of a good counter to that for my new server, I was thinking instead of not having to police offline raiding, I would instead offer a banking system which could be implemented so that even if you did get offline raided you still had at least a chest or two that was untouchable that you could fall back on incase you lost everything (I don’t think I would allow dragonpowder to be stored though), that would at least give everyone a good head start on a quick rebuild somewhere else if it came to that, has anyone had any experience with a system like that? What were the pros/cons? Is there some kind of unfair “exploitable” means to a system like this? Please let me know! cheers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Appreciate the help! I just added you, I’ll flick you a message if I get stuck on anything haha

2 Likes

Is there a tool that allows an admin to do that in the admin panel?
It would be freaking awesome if admins had tools for everything, still this wouldn’t stop the players use exploits, they would always find the way you know :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Look, I don’t want to high jack your thread , but in this post I find really good matters for discussion.

Let me apply my questions and worries…

Question.
How do you intend to play on your server?
If you place too much rules then I don’t see you playing like a player at all. As soon as your server is full you will have to check the discord all the time, fix events, read complaints, build or rebuild events, clean the map from bullies and spams, provide to players that lost by reading their event log (pages), etc…
You will end up being a Santa in your own server but treated as a troll behind your back and that’s sad!!!

If you want to play as a player, you have to minimize the rules, but no matter what you do, people will always say that the admin power win and not you :wink:.

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT!!!

Allow me to apply one last idea that it is triggered from what I read from inside here however and summon 3 high spirits of official pvp to lay their opinions.
@erjoh, @Dzonatas, @Firecrow.

These people play solo or in small clans.
Their interest in small clans servers was big when posts with this matter came here.
People that solo pvp, with great knowledge and sports spirit in the game, actually look for competitive servers and having them in your server would be a great honor and help. Their advise is extremely important, I am pretty sure that they will help more than me, because they have greater pvp experience than I do.

Think the option of 3 to 4 man clan maximum. This is something that’s really missing from this game and ofcurce it will trigger healthy competition in a server that do not exist.

I wish I didn’t cause you headaches :rofl::rofl::rofl:, feel free to deny or even stop me on this thread. Filling a server is difficult and playing as a player in your own is even more difficult. My goal is for you to have THE BEST private pvp Playstation server and you have fun in it.
Cheers :+1:t6:

2 Likes

Thank you very much! That was good feedback :slight_smile:

Not that I’m aware of anyway :open_mouth: I was more thinking as an admin I would build a bank somewhere heavily guarded where players could unlock storage chests (maybe a maximum of three, via limited supply bronze coins that they could only obtain through admin created events), and they could safely store a limited supply of resources that they could call upon if their bases ever got wiped. (dragonpowder being one item they can’t store).

I have no intention of participating as a player, the way I see it, the server will be only very slightly boosted in most ways, I will strictly be an admin setting up events and managing the admin shop/in-game dramas, I don’t want to clutter the server with too many rules or things that I’m going to have to regularly manage, the less rules the better IMO (I work full-time so can’t be there 24/7, the server needs to be self-staining without become broken!) my main objective is to create a fun/dynamic in game experience and avoid/remove toxicity or unfair player treatment.

2 Likes

The only thing remains from my side is this then…
I would happily join your server to help you build the fastest possible your map rooms, or whatever else you need help on. And then, go out of admin clan and participate as a player until your server is a bit populated, to fix easy raid able builds so pvp players will enjoy raiding :rofl::rofl::rofl:. Just until your server is populated enough. I am no great fun of pvp you know but I love to help good players.
That’s all I can offer :grin:.

3 Likes

As far as demon powder being stored things like that could only be done on pc gportal doesn’t give options like that.pc people use mods.

1 Like