Well, I’m not too sure how you wound up here, but maybe my story of how I wound up with the same problem will help!
Having cloned and backed up and recloned my hard drive while fixing a broken pc I bought and swapping my old PCs HDD into it, I wound up with lots of duplicates to things on my new m.2ssd. (the hardware doesn’t really matter, just giving you the idea of what I was doing). I decided to delete some bloatware from my pc, like old aura sync stuff, visual studio c++ and other systems I didn’t need running in the background since I had them on my “work computer” and this one is mostly for gaming and movies.
Well, I deleted the visual c++ stuff I needed to run games by accident lol. I re installed it and it didn’t work.
My Fix:. I copied the files I wanted to keep onto my backup storage ssd and did a system repair on windows. Works great now! And now there is less clutter on my PC so it runs a bit better too, so kinda a win for me, the hard way hahaha.
If you can’t find a better way to do it, I suggest doing that.
Edit:. I tried changing the extension it ran from too and still ran into trouble, so if the different extension doesn’t work this fix most likely still will.