Public Service Announcement. Truth about Trolls

Ran across this in my youtube nontifications. Thought of the group and self reflected a bit about my reactions to trolls in general.

Just remember everyone deserves empathy, even if they push you away.

3 Likes

Good find.

Yeah, I work with people with all kinds of problems in their lives. The last two years have been pretty rough on many people, especially those who were already lonely or socially isolated. And yeah, it can present itself as anger, frustration, aggressive behavior, etc. Poor behavior towards others is often a symptom of unhappiness on some level. This is definitely something everyone should keep in mind - both when encountering people who behave poorly, and when self-reflecting our own behavior.

That said, some people are just dicks.

3 Likes

@Kapoteeni
I don’t know the science of psychology. But I know people. We all have our good and bad side. We all cross lines and we must never forget it so we’ll be ready to understand and forgive the others when they do. If someone crosses lines against us we must search or ask for the reason and first apologize for this. How can you expect from someone to stand down if you won’t first? Making the first step back sometimes is more brave than making ten jumps in front.
People fight only when they want to. If someone is a dick however you can always ignore, it hurts more than a face punch.

1 Like

“Seek first to understand, and then to be understood.”

• Stephen Covey, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

One of the finest pieces of advice I’ve ever seen. Too often communication fails because both parties try to enforce their own opinion upon the other without caring about what the other side wants. It’s pretty damn hard to convince someone that you’re right if you don’t respect the other party enough to even listen to them properly.

Whether it’s domestic disputes, conflicts at work or international diplomacy, understanding where the other party is coming from should be the first step towards working communication.

(And yes, we all have our good days and our bad days, which is reflected on our communication.)

I haven’t studied psychology or behavioral sciences seriously either - merely dabbled in them like most sciences - but I’m pretty good at recognizing patterns, and people tend to be consistent in their behavior. Even people who are seemingly erratic in their behavior, such as a certain ex-President. So even though I can’t in good conscience pretend to be in a position of authority when it comes to human behavior, I have at least some tools to understand them.

2 Likes

You will allow me however to share something positive here. I say positive because it helped me see beyond tabbo and understand the world better.
@erjoh my friend, if this post is off topic please inform me and I will delete.
This game, again, provided me the chance to play in a safe adult environment. I played with persons that deal lots of problems that I cannot have and it would be impossible for me to understand. Hopefully they invited me on vocal groups and change opinions first for the game and later for life. Most of the times I try to listen, especially when I don’t understand. Too many people suffering from phobias, sickness or social bullying because of their “choises” playing this game.
I was lucky to play a bit with them and speak with them and I thank them for the gift they gave me. They shared their problems with me and I learned a lot, not much but enough to correct my mistaken opinion about some “different” people. They were “different” before I met them, now they are normal, not different anymore and this my friends was the greatest gift I took from online gaming.

1 Like