Purge Doesn't Trigger Properly when Players Not at Base

Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvE
Region: North America

It appears that there is an issue with the Purge where it will not give the on-screen announcement if there are no players at the base the server intends to target. It has been like this since before the Mounts & Movement update, and remains this way even after recent hotfixes.

Background: A couple months ago, I noticed something interesting. While I would usually see the purge announcement on-screen right at 6:03pm ET, if I checked the Event Log shortly after 6pm, it would show the “A purge has started for message.” This would essentially give me a couple extra minutes to prepare, or to see if someone else would be the first-up, thereby freeing me up to make travel preparations to visit whomever would be getting purged.

Complications: Recently, with everyone down-sizing in advance of the coming thrall limits, I found myself replacing a dismantled boss-killer pit with one of my own on an alt who was safely under the cap. For this character, their base in in NE A9, and the work I was doing was by the King Scorpion outside of Sepermeru (central C7).

As per usual, when 6pm hit, I asked those logged in if anyone was expecting a purge, to which several people replied that they were not. About half an hour ticked past, by which point someone should surely already have been engaged in combat or receiving an offline purge. Since it was possible that it could simply have been an experienced player keeping quiet, I thought to check my Event Log for advanced warning. I opened my Event Log and did a query on Purge and found no results. I then thought to expand the Proximity and was shocked to find multiple entries stating that purges had started for my clan!

Fearing the worst, I raced home to find it peacefully quiet. There were no KO’d Beast-Tamers on the ground (all that I got at that time) which there would have been since all my thralls were armed with trunches and blunted arrows since I was expecting a purge that evening.

Since I was already home, I thought to load up a bearer with some thralls and supplies for the kill pit I was constructing when I finally got the on-screen announcement! From that point, the purge proceeded normally with the expected 5 waves of CBTs.

In the time since then, I’ve been able to reproduce this behavior by being away from base at purge time and finding that it doesn’t trigger or announce until I return home. Thankfully, since this is an alt that was setup specifically to farm Beast-Tamer purges, she only has 1 base with enough weighting to get purged so it’s easy to be at the right spot.

However, some of the more traditional PvE clans, who have multiple members, each with their own base have had a great deal of difficulty getting their purges to spawn. Last night, one such clan, image, had this issue. In spite of having people at their biggest base (after I stated my theory), they could only get the messages and no purge ever spawned. :frowning:

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Have your purge meter over the threshold.
  2. Adventure well away from any of your bases.
  3. Check Event Log on max Proximity regularly.
  4. Observe purge start events being listed without ever getting an on-screen notification, no timer, and your purge meter not clearing.
  5. Return to the correct target base (if you can deduce it), and wait until you get the actual notification.
  6. Get frustrated when you can’t figure out the correct base and someone else gets their purge instead.
  7. Try again after theirs finishes, and meet with the same results.
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.