Hi, here are some PvP combat gameplay suggestions which I gathered talking with people in servers and reading other user posts in this forum (emphasizing them is always good I guess):
- Remove animation cancelling: animation cancelling enables you to spam attacks with pretty much no risk/punishment until one randomly connects. Recover animations are important because you have to decide carefully when to attack to not get punished.
- Overhaul perk system: most perks in the game are solely for increasing efficiency, making the game feel like a min-maxing fest. Perks should have interesting effects which modify the way you play. One example would be most strength perks, which only increase damage percentage (the strength attribute itself already does that). Another example would be encumbrance 5 which is just a power farming mechanic and pretty much obligatory to building your base.
- Remove the power-level gap between level 1 and level 60: even a stone-sword wielding naked dude should be able to kill you if you’re not careful. Equipment feels like an MMO, where a level 60 dude with epic flawless gear is just unkillable to a low level player. Reducing the power gap would enable some cool combat events, like 4 newbies ganging up on a level 60 and still provide challenge.
- Increase ranged weapons damage as offensive weapons: Bows/throwables are used mostly for utility, and completely unviable for combat. Come on guys, give ranged weapons some love!
- Nerf spears or have some kind of spear counter: pretty much everyone always says this and always will. We need a new mechanic, or even a new weapon that could potentially solve the spearlord meta. The game has lots of weapons and players should be motivated to use them!
- New combat mechanics: having block or parry mechanics in weapons (not the shields) could possibly change everything. Instead of just spamming attacks and running around players would actually kick, block, parry and try to time their attacks just right.
- Adding an “Attack Feint” mechanic (suggested by Infectious1X): instead of using animation cancelling as an exploit for feinting attacks, we could actually have an official “feint” mechanic. Would work just as animation cancelling does, but without the possibility of timing the hitbox and cancelling after hitting it. In this case, we would have the same benefit of cancelling without the OPness of randomly hitting the attack.
Anyway, I know all of this won’t ever be changed or balanced, but here’s hoping some dev reads it if they ever make a Conan Exiles 2 or something