[PVP] Was body vaulting intended for long safe storage of items?

Nah, go one this is a discussion. Pvp is a mess and I am not sure I could find someone who would disagree with this . I just wish we could get more defenses beyond hide with all my stuff until the server hides me away from the fight.

1 Like

Itā€™s not about right or wrong, but counter measures to a glaring issue. Itā€™s that or I donā€™t play game. And the less people play, the less DLC buys. The less money, the less business worthy the game.

I believe it is 7 daysā€¦there was a bug that it dissappeared at server restarts, that got corrected a few patches ago.

I loved that particular bug, I used to wait to log-off just before the restart. :grin:

Though it was because my base had been raided and I was scouting for new places (a few were actually abandoned bases made by others)

Making me all nostalgic nowā€¦

1 Like

To me, its in same category as foundation spam to prevent trebs.

Iā€™m hunting you down for lootā€¦ if I canā€™t raid your base or you, theres a issue.
major part of incentive is goneā€¦

To me, Its 50/50, People finding a way to keep there stuff safe, and wanting to still play and not rage quit? I guess that helps Populationā€¦
But does that counter people frustrated there not able to raid or get something for there time.

PVP is heavily raid those not online. Or weaker then youā€¦or not following meta of multi-wall or spam flooring etcā€¦
Remember CE trailer of people trebing a base, and hunting each other down along walls etc. I Went, ā€œTHIS LOOKS FUN!ā€

But none of that happensā€¦ (live servers anyway)Meta Exploits are kingā€¦ You pretty much have to play with friends only and have active Admin who steps in and head stomps anyone bending rules.

I donā€™t pvp anymore, or rarely play online anymore cause of it. Little reward to sneak into base, or out right attack it. (exceptions to private servers I may visit and pretake with friends)

Fact you have to set up meet time, and build bases meant to be lost, and set area for PVP to have funā€¦ is kinda defeating point dominating.

2 Likes

My dear @Frillen, I love our disagreements, they give me reason to chat with you :rofl:.
A fast story here.
In the pve servers I participate, I meet a lot of people. I always try to help and hopefully they accept most of the times. I speak about persons, a bit over aged (please do not throw stones here) that they may play this game a couple years now but after 1 month in the server they are still lvl 40, building with steel tools and fighting with friga and steel weapons. So they have low knowledge how to grow in this game butā€¦ They know how to use this exploit :rofl::rofl::rofl:. They know that if vacations will come they will make their thralls and pets chests and their body vault, so when they will be back after 10 days they will find almost everything back.
Well, one really good reason for this not to change is because almost every single player is using it and love it.
There for I know one really good reason for pve, this not to change, I asked from @biggcane55 to give us good pvp reasons for this not to be changed. I say this because the excuse of line raiding has no base, since the game deal is this from day one, it sounds like eye for an eye answer, if you understand what I mean. I would love to hear something more practical but at the same time more altruistic. I am sure that this mechanic can help strategies of the game, solo players, unfair attacks, etcā€¦
There must be something more I believe :man_shrugging:.

2 Likes

Agreeing with @Sera67 .

I also agree with the need to not have to live on the game 24/7 or atleast all of raid time to be effective on the game on pvp servers on officials.

Our defenses against offlining is/are woefully ineffective and kind makes many not want to even build as destroying a base is far faster and far easier than builidng and defending one.

Ironically sometimes being in a building is far riskier than hiding outside ! I had to let that sink in a bit myself. Build my castle and hide outside it to be safe with my belongingsā€¦

2 Likes

That was my recollection as well, I just wasnā€™t confident that the time was set to seven days.

1 Like

Yeah, a fair argument. Balancing problems that lead to a behavior change that makes a core system moot is definitely an issue that should be looked at.

But how big of a problem is this really? Are pvp servers largely devoid of bases now? I havenā€™t logged into an official PvP server in quite a while so I donā€™t know what the current state is. Is it so bad that it really requires the drastic step of stripping logged out characters of all their gear if theyā€™re offline for more than the decay timer? Or do we need to go even further and, as someone else suggested, prevent encumbered characters from logging out at all?

I guess thatā€™s my whole point. Iā€™m not arguing that the problem doesnā€™t exist. Iā€™m saying I have a hard time believing itā€™s a serious enough problem to warrant either of the solutions listed above. Funcom has bigger fish to fry.

1 Like

No worries mate :slight_smile:
I am a bit over aged, but I see myself like good wine, it gets better with ageā€¦ Well at least I try to convince myself it does being 58 years old :rofl:
That said Iā€™ve playing computer games for as long as I can remember, from the arcades to Heretic, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Hexen, Starcraft etc. on pc, I was so into pvp games right back when kilobytes and floppy discs were a thing in dos :sweat_smile:
That never changed with age, but I do know that despite my experience, my reflexes arenā€™t what they used to be, but with age I became better to adapt to changes and think strategic, so I could still compete with all the young onesā€¦ Well at least some of them :grin:
Like I said, people use the body vault for different things and while I can level a fresh character to 60 in less than a day, I still like to occasionally take a break without having to start from scratch when I feel like playing again, so I see the option to body vault as good thing, I do not care what loot people hide in a body somewhere, if I play pvp, it is because I want some fights and excitement, loot is just a small bonus that I might get, but it isnā€™t why I love pvp in games, it is the thrill of the fight :slight_smile:

In my opinion, removing body vaulting from pvp wonā€™t solve anything, the problem is and always has been the cheating, hacking and not being protected from offline raidsā€¦ Most people have lives and cannot be online every day during raid hours, besides it takes the fun out of a game when you have to spend so much time securing your base compared to raiders that can wipe your base in an hour or 2 while being offlineā€¦ This just isnā€™t fun for me anymore :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree here. Iā€™d rather Funcom focus their efforts on addressing this, rather than attempting to figure out how to eliminate body vaulting.

I will tell a story, a groundhogs day story. For 6-8 months me and a few of my clan mates would go server to server. We would build a basic non hidden base, and prep for a fight. We would attack an Alphas base (or clan with most land claim) while they were online with our meager 2 day harvest of explosives. We would get a few items. win some fights and lose some. Then we would go back to base. And wait for retaliation attack from th mega supplied clan. 1 day, 2days, 3days, nothing but chatter in the game chat. So we would body vault and decay anything we didnā€™t need. log off and ā€œleaveā€ server. one of us would log in a few days later to find the Alpha finally attacked, while we were offline, to get nothing. So you see, until players really want to pvp, I will body vault. I am not going to log in and not be attacked or have actual pvp on a pvp server. I will go to the next server and try again. But after 6 months we realized, @75% of the Alphas are non raid time farming clans who have large defensable bases that will only offline raid. Basically just log in more, not actually pvp.

2 Likes

I understand and would agree with you. The stage seems to be set such that a body vaulting problem could exist in the future, and itā€™s not clear to me either that removing that problem is better than the problem body vaulting seeks to answer.

As to the current state, the only problem with body vaulting is that long stored hacked/duped items can now be moved across servers, I am on console so this is of little consequence to me.

2 Likes

True, and duping is another issue and I even suggested changing the server restart mechanics slightly to help with this, though I am unsure of the difficulty of doing so.

What is the reason against implementing a timer that kills logged out bodies right before disappearing? I mean the code for making them disappear is already there, just add: Player->Kill(); or something.

1 Like

because if that code ever bugged and players lost stuff because they got disconnected by a server issue, these forums would burn.

The best way to handle it is
#1 activate dynamic building damage for pvp officials.
#2. make officials 24/7 raid. you on, you can get raided. No more 19 hours of free farm time and then turtle up repairing bases.
#3 Now you can make it so if your body is out of game for 7 days, all stuff is deleted on it except equiped armor and hot wheel. This means after the 7 days for body to dissappear, another 7 days. Sure people could log in on day 13, but now thier body is findable for at least 7 days before it dissapears again.

1 Like

I suppose the argument against this would be that it would be a terrible customer experience for anyone who logs back in expecting to find their body with their stuff, only to wake up in the desert and be told ā€œYou were killed by Funcomā€.

Not everyone who logs out for long periods of time is body vaulting. My original character is still sleeping on top of some random building in Sepermeru with the gear he happened to be carrying when I decided to let my base decay. If I ever decided to play on that server again (unlikely since that was on PS4 and I play on PC now) Iā€™d be pretty irritated to find that I didnā€™t even have my obsidian tools or my legendary axe and shield. And I consider myself to be one of the more reasonable members of the community. You think the furor over the tos being enforced is bad? Just wait. Youā€™d be able to hear the ā€œSkreeeeesā€ on the other side of the planet.

And again, Funcom has bigger fish to fry.

No, you would get the message ā€œYou were killed by Starvationā€ or ā€œYou were killed by Thirstā€ remember you were in a coma a long time and a body needs food and water.

Logging out in a dwelling could help with exposure and the dehydration and hunger from the body trying to survive in the elements, but you will still day if you donā€™t eat or drink for long periods of time.

That was a joke.

Regardless of the actual text used, the larger problem of the terrible customer experience remains.

And, yā€™know, some comment about cooking fish in high temperature oil.

You could probably do option #1 and #2 and the problem of offline raiding would, hopefully, largely go away.

1 Like