Reduce Objects Size (buildings with calculations) ✅

SUGGESTION

:bulb: Reducing some of the objects or addition their smaller versions will positively affect the servers work and will allow players to move some of the gameplay from collecting and building to other elements of the game (combat, exploration, dungeons, community).

INTRODUCTION :loudspeaker:

The topic was created for the sake of players who don’t have much time to play, don’t like large buildings or have a problem with placing a large object next to their building.

Note: I put (at the end) specific calculations and visualizations in the subject.

Conan Exiles Screenshot 2020.06.01 - 12.34.36.79

The objects from the picture above are necessary to experience the full content of the game. However, these objects take up much more space than other. This forces players to create very large buildings that badly affect the servers work and are difficult to rebuild (after raid/purge). A larger building means the need to collect more materials, which leaves less time to other elements of the game. Of course, players can build a small building, but part of the game will be no longer unavailable to them (mounts, animals, teleportation, religions).

DETAILS :arrow_down:

I placed all objects close to each other to show the minimum size of the building in which they will fit. I also checked the minimum height of the ceiling to be able to easily rebuild a damaged object inside the building.

The basic objects that can be found in a standard player Base take up 15 foundations and can be rebuilt in an interior with just 1 wall high.

Note: The vast majority of items that can be created in the game are based on these objects.
Note 2: I skipped the crates because each player needs a different amount and in most of the objects in the picture can store items.

The next picture shows objects that require 2 wall heights (and a few items that are less needed but did not fit in the previous structure). Together, these and previous objects take up 27 foundations space.

Note: One of the Aquilonian tables symbolizes the Argossean table (I do not have this DLC yet).

Important: The sum of building elements needed to put and enclose objects from both above pictures will be called “Basic Building” group.

The largest objects that we can (and must build to experience full game) require 3 or 4 (mainly 4) wall heights, in total they take up 257 foundations space. Compared to the Basic Building this is almost 10 (≈9.518) times more space.

:red_square: Red is the space it takes.
:green_square: Green is the height of the walls needed to rebuild object inside.

:red_circle: Light red is the sum of the basic and additional foundations.
:green_circle: Light green is the sum of the walls that would surround the entire surface.
:large_blue_circle: Light blue is the amount of ceilings needed to cover the building.
:yellow_circle: Yellow is the sum of all bright colors (sum of building elements).

Important: The sum of building elements needed to put and enclose the largest objects will be called “Large Objects” group.

CALCULATIONS :white_check_mark:

Before starting the calculation, I will explain a few values of light color from the previous picture.

The surroundings of the building are not always flat. That is why we usually have to build a foundation up or down to level the building space.

Let’s assume a harmless situation when we need to build an average of 1 foundation higher and lower for the Basic Building (which means multiplying the area space by 3).
In turn, Large Objects take up a lot of space and it is more difficult to find a good flat surface for them, therefore let’s accept adding 1 foundation to previous ones (which means multiplying the area space by 4).

Calculations

Basic Building needs:

• 81 foundations ( (12 + 15) * 3)
  • 44 walls ( (3 + 4) * 2 * 2 + (3 + 5) * 2 * 1 )
  • 27 ceilings ( 12 + 15 )
  • 152 total ( 81 + 44 + 27 )

Large Objects need:

• 1028 foundations ( (60 + 36 + 86 + 15 + 24 + 36) * 4)
  • 560 walls ( 32 * 3 + 24 * 4 + 38 * 4 + 16 * 4 + 20 * 4 + 24 * 3 )
  • 257 ceilings ( 60 + 36 + 86 + 15 + 24 + 36 )
  • 1845 total ( 1028 + 560 + 257 )

Combining both groups will give 2997 total building elements.

VISUALISATION :globe_with_meridians:

For visualization I will use this scheme:

• I will try to build buildings closest to the square’s surface.
    • For Basic Building the root of 27 is ≈5.196 so I’ll build a 5x5 building.
    • For Large Objects the root of 257 is ≈16.03 so I’ll build a 16x16 building.
    • For Colossus the root of 404 is ≈20.1 so I’ll build a 20x20 building.
      Important: The sum of Basic Building and Large Objects building elements (along with missing religions) will be called “Colossus” group.
  • I will use the walls only outside, without internal ones. It will use the closest number of walls in each group (Basic Building, Large Objects and Colossus) so that the roof is flat.
  • It will cover everything with a roof.

In addition, I build a defensive wall along with a roof made of foundations.

Final calculations

Basic Building

• 5x5 surface
  • 3 foundations
  • 2 walls
    Defensive wall
    • 169 foundations
    • 168 fence foundations

477 total building elements (140 + 169 + 168)

Large Objects

• 16x16 surface
  • 4 foundations
  • 9 walls
    Defensive wall
    • 1208 foundations
    • 1008 fence foundations

4072 total building elements (1856 + 1208 + 1008)

Colossus

• 20x20 surface
  • 4 foundations
  • 13 walls
    Defensive wall
    • 1912 foundations
    • 1584 fence foundations

6536 total building elements (3040 + 1912 + 1584)

Calculation error values
  • Basic Building (without a defensive wall) should be built of 152 elements, but 140 were used, therefore the error is ≈ -7.89%.
  • Large Objects (without a defensive wall) should be built of 1845 elements, but 1856 were used, therefore the error is ≈1%.
  • Colossus (without a defensive wall) should be built of 2997 elements, but 3040 were used, therefore the error is ≈1.43%.

Combining extreme, ≈ 9.32% is total error of visualisation.

Note: This is not a calculation of the measurement error, I just point out that the visualization is not completely reliable.

The Final Visualisation

Note: Please note that the height of the Colossus construction is almost equal to the nearby The Unnamed City gate.

SUMMARY / CONCLUSIONS

:writing_hand: Reducing or adding smaller variations of the largest objects will have a good effect on server performance and load times. If player buildings could be smaller, that even a crooked or small area could be habitable. Players could rediscover the beauty of old places and find new defensive tactics on mountain tops and in narrow passages.

• A smaller building needs less lighting - everyone knows that excessive lighting slows down the game!
  • A smaller building means less raw materials but also less boxes to store them.
  • There will also be less decoration objects in a smaller building.
  • Currently, each additional altar increases the number of building elements by 200 in total (without a defensive wall).
  • Halfway through the construction of the visualization in one session, the game crashes and deleted the save with entire buildings. Therefore, the visualization contains only empty skeletons and not entire buildings with the right amount of building elements. As if the game itself “thought” that I was constructing a much too big building. :crazy_face:

Thanks to everyone :smiley: especially to those who has made it to the end and I hope that you will comment or support the suggestion to reduce the largest game objects.

Note: This is the first of three suggestion topics I have long planned to introduce. The next topic will be focused on safe and risk player’s possessions.

12 Likes

I do agree with you on the building size reqs. The only way to enjoy some of the larger things from what I understand in pvp or pve is be part of a large clan. I’m fortunate that I play in sandbox I’d rather just play with people I know directly for now. Also thank you for showing how many pieces it takes for something to sit on, I’ve always miscalculated that and it’s been driving me a little crazy for a while not knowing. I hope you don’t mind but I saved the size pics so I could use them for future ref.

1 Like

I like the idea of resizing existing things or adding smaller variants. However, that would require them going over existing things and I seem to remember them stating ages ago, that they would tackle the enormous size of the animal pen, which they are probably never going to do.

In case of the map room, I can understand it being very large, but stable and pen could get some attention.

1 Like

Please, use it at your discretion. :slightly_smiling_face:
Only Animal Pen needs a support inside to lay the ceiling (one part in the middle is too far from any wall).

The Map-Room is indeed original and it would be difficult to make it smaller.

Thanksfor the comments. :+1: I know that I am asking for a lot, because replacing so many objects is a lot of work, but in my opinion the benefits exceed the effort put into it.

1 Like

i would like the smaller animal pen and horse thing and a smaller warmap😍

1 Like

When Avatars :japanese_ogre: return to the game, probably a lot of people will notice a decrease in server performance. It’s logical to blame the update, which restores Avatars, but this will not be true. :face_with_monocle: The decrease in performance will be due to the fact that players suddenly put up an altar. Each altar requires an extension of the base / house / building. :love_hotel:

If we accept my calculations, each altar requires 200 building elements. Let’s assume that there are 10 active clans on the server who will build 2 altars. Let’s also assume that there are the same number of solo players who will build 1 altar. We will finish with 6000 building elements added to the map. This will be the server performance drop. :chart_with_downwards_trend:

I especially finished with 6000, look at the first post :arrow_up:, look what a building with 6536 building elements looks like. This is madness.

I’m wrong? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
:grey_question:

1 Like

Wow! Thank you so much for putting this together. I have been thinking this for a long time but have been much too lazy to put my thoughts together in a post.

The ability to have a smaller base but still have access to all the features a large clan does would also assist players who rather play solo.

1 Like

I think trying to force an animal taming pen inside of the house is always going to be asking for a huge base. I think we need a singular animal pen, like the stables and the solo wheel of pain.

I also think that the build you’ve done is exaggerating how big you need to build by a long way.
You have a small well and a large well for some reason as well as a single wheel of pain and a large. both of which take up a bit of unnecessary room and should be discounted.

Large well is on the ground floor, above it is the greater wheel of pain and all the benches, above that is a map which can be seen and the t3 altar on the roof. I just threw this together after reading your post.

You’ve built 17 walls high and I cannot for the life of me picture why?

3 Likes

I fully agree with you. :star_struck: That’s what it’s all about!

Building even a defensive wall (so that nobody would steal your gold produced by Rocknose) forces the player to use a large number of building elements. Size is the problem. :100:

Visualization only shows the amount of building elements, not a useful house. We do not arrange all objects so that they fit in it.

The devil is in the details.

• The largest Colossus is a building combining the number of building elements needed to enclose all objects, including all altars (one for religion). Therefore, we should compare your building with Large Objects structure.

Note: I didn’t count on the corridor space for the player’s character or for the stairs.
    Note 2: For each object, I have forced a space that is needed to be rebuilt when it is destroyed, without having to remove any building elements.

• Large Objects has a height of 14 walls.

• 4 of them are foundations (although I built on a flat surface, it simulates situations when we build on a non-flat surface). That’s why 14 - 4 = 10.
    • Each building in visualization has one additional foundation (defensive wall) on each side, also at the top on the ceiling. And so 10 - 1 = 9.
    • To compare our buildings, we still need to subtract the number of walls that could be used to enclose Animal Pen. These walls are close to 27.1% of the total 9 walls.
      This gives 9 - 27.1% ≈ 7 walls (6,561).
    • My Large Objects structure contains building elements needed to enclose one altar, but there are no other workplaces, blacksmith or bed. Adding them to the calculations, we would have to add 1-2 walls height. This gives more than 8 walls.

Looking at it this way, our buildings are almost equal. But mine is just a representation of building elements - nothing more.

In summary, you are right again. :+1: It is not an example from life.

Yes, but let me explain. When I visited the buildings of friends (and enemies :bow_and_arrow: :smirk: ). I have often seen small and large versions of the Wheel of Pain. I also often do not destroy the already built wheel, why destroyit, if I can have both (small and large)?

I did not want to confuse the subject and lengthen it, I just left smaller versions in the calculations.

I like your post :heart: and your building. The mezzanine and triangular foundations are the advanced construction of an experienced player.

You reminded me that I didn’t write anything about triangular foundations in the subject, and maybe I should. Triangular ones have an area of less than half square ones. This means that when building from them we will use over twice as many building elements to build foundations and ceilings space. :scream:

Especially for you @Meramusa I’ll show you how I can pack basic objects from the game.

More pictures here: Share your Shelter

I remember the first time I came to an online server :woozy_face:. I saw a great building on the top of a mountain :mountain:, the first building built by another player and not by me. I decided to explore the building and climbed a lot thinking about what I would find inside. The building was really big and could hold everything, I wondered how many rooms there were.

The only way to enter was to jump through a hole in the roof, the jump almost killed me :dizzy_face: - I was prepared that I would not find a way out. :skull_and_crossbones:

To my surprise, the building was divided into only two rooms. One contained a campfire and a bed, the second contained only artisan’s worktable. So… not everyone thinks about space. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would like not to be forced to have a large base to enjoy all the content of the game. :broken_heart:

1 Like

I found this a while ago, so this is usually what I setup to get me started, though i do like the 3x3 you posted! thats awesome

2 Likes

I just love this topic and the amount of work you put into it. I fullhearty support the request for smaller size wheels, pens etc. Bravo.

1 Like

It would be enough to add a level 60 Stable that will handle horses and animals at the same time. And removing the stairs under it so that it fits in the room 3 walls high. In this way, we can handle the largest and most problematic object in the game (Animal Pen).

2 Likes

@fito The above idea regarding the stables As also a small animal pen is genius. Please let’s make this happen. The stone foundation part of the stables is obnoxious anyways and can make it hard to access. I’d happily see that removed.

Also I would like that thank you for such a well planned out and thorough post. I personally enjoy building big as well as the epic scale of things like the map room. But I totally understand that not everyone likes to nor should build big. And there have frequently been times when a small outpost I was building turned out way larger than expected just to fit the necessary equipment. I agree that there should be smaller versions of things. For example, a smaller altar version maybe 2x2. Just keep the same spacing restriction between altars (or maybe decrease it a little, I always felt it was too far). Your solution for the animal pen and stable is spot on. For a smaller map room, they could have a small version with only three obelisk links (you could choose Which three when building or placing it but couldn’t edit it afterwards) and a medium sized one with six obelisk links. I think the wheel of pains are fine, however they’re Collisions should be looked at because it can be a pain in the butt to place a greater wheel of pain even if you have more than enough space because of some invisible collision issues.

Edit: Also, one thing I will always advocate for is a 1x1 foundations size vault that is snapable. We need smaller vaults!! I love the big ones, but smaller ones are also needed.

The most important points you make here is that the current size of things limits viable base locations and necessarily adds to the overall size of structures. Having a smaller version of say a map room and altars would really open up the map and hopefully have the added benefit of on average smaller structures.

1 Like

Already at the time of the introduction of mounts, there were proposals to combine the Stable with the Animal Pen. I only proposed cutting the stairs.

I wonder if the stairs are safe for the horse :racehorse: at all? :pleading_face:

I missed Vault because it’s just a container. Its absence does not block the content of the game, it does not change the gameplay. Because there are many other containers in the game.

However, I agree with you :slightly_smiling_face:, the Vaults are too big. They occupy 5x5 foundations and 3 walls high. It probably needs even more space to rebuild it. :hammer_and_wrench:

Exactly. Nothing more nothing less. :100: :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.