Thoughts about building big - PVP

Since I’m bored and not really playing at the moment let’s break down building “big” as a response to some of the comments in this thread. Didn’t want it to go too off topic as there’s a lot to unpack here.

There are multiple play modes and styles this can vary a lot. I’m going to start by giving examples crammed in a linear fashion and what would be expected for PVP since that is what I do.

I’ll be focusing on vanilla Exiled Lands.

The Dyer’s Bench

Average vanilla player cannot fit the dyer’s bench in a 1x2. It really needs this 2x3 area. It would warrant some adjustments to make it smaller imho.

Minimum Space

For PVP, this is the minimum of what you would need in order to be effective for benches. I added a few things that you can leave out like a kiln, boozer, planter and hive but you can stack most of those things easily. This is crammed af and would be not only a bad base design, claustrophobic, annoying and easy to make mistakes. It is 6x7 and would accommodate a 3 person clan.

Room for beds is required and would probably cause issues for more members. My clan and I use these beds because we’re often in pretty crammed spots and you can walk over them.

Barely any storage, so forget about load out to respond to fights or raid defence.

Completely unrealistic in terms of defence as it is if you want to survive as well but the absolute minimum for size.

I usually like to include a dyer’s bench in my clan’s bases because we often dye our armour a specific colour and if we’re feeling super extra, will dye all our thralls’ armour too. But in many cases it’s not added in, so probably can reduce this to a 6x6. Alternatively it’s placed outside in the open temporarily or in an out building.

(forgot the preservation boxes but you can cram those in easy, imagine there’s 3)

Minimum Space - what is expected for benches

Ok so this is where it starts getting a lot more annoying and without at least 1 altar. Some of these bigger items are hard to place and awkward. Possibly could condense it more and maybe make it to be multiple stories instead but if we’re thinking linear like say, a noob might think, this is what is required. 9x19. Crammed… conservatively. Myself and one of my clanmates are pretty creative in terms of stacking benches and using the space chosen so definitely could condense.

The reason I chose the benches I did are for the highest yield. If you’d like me to explain why each is needed I will but let’s suspend any doubts and trust me. Absolutely more room now for storage but let’s not waste anymore time. Let’s use some imagination here and pretend it’s a 9x18 or 17 instead. Spending any time building and it is known that certain things are put down in a certain order because of the hit boxes of each, some are finicky in behaviour of placement.

But, it’s ugly, paper thin and boring.

Now let’s see if we made it prettier and with airlocks and defence.

PVP building considerations - the heart

Oh wait, still not nice looking, this is for the bedroom, loadout, retrieval of corpse and dump chests… again, thinking linear. This would STILL barely be defensible with the current building damage but at least can respond. You’d need a bigger area for a full 10 person clan. 6 person clan in this instance each with personal chests and beds. Let’s pretend that the stacking I’ve shown for building pieces in the following picture is x3 above at least. So, ceiling + item inside for more building HP + 4 walls/fence foundations * repeat.

Beds in general are what combat PVPers and raiders are seeking out as quickly as possible to remove to take you out of the fight to “win”. This is if they’re trying to raid your “main” base.

Most bases are like this in PVP in terms of being compact even though you’d realistically not want your beds to be side by side. Why do I say this? Because if you neatly stack chests, place them on a ceiling or put your beds clustered, easy to eliminate them with the least bombs.

No choice though, especially if you’re in a perma structure where space is limited.

I built straight stackable foundations… I didn’t even do triangle foundations which in most cases nowadays is the way to go. This is expensive, time consuming, requires you do have some know how of design, especially if you’re building in a perma structure - also understanding the flaws in that perma structure.

The bedroom/loadout area should be the hardest to get to. It should be in the centre or lowest or highest depending on the build.

Now let’s add rooms for production, separating them to make it harder for raiders, again, linear. Let’s use our imagination in that there might be multiple floors and these rooms are stacked on top of each other.

PVP building considerations - safeguarding the rest

This isn’t even everything but you get the picture.

So airlocks. At least 2 foundations worth of doors. The more the better though.

Why are they important?

A raider should be forced to expend their supply or take it from them.

But…

The contents of a base that is 1 wall thin can be seen. Move right up to it and pan camera to the right or left. Or equip a weapon, swing and get a good idea of what is inside. There’s also the lay down exploit. Denying the raider information such as what is next is part of the goal.

1 wall/layer will fall in a minute or less depending on how many bombs are placed.

Meta Building locations

So we have meta perma structure or environmental spots. They are optimal because of the cheaper production cost in protection because the structure or landscape affords it and the entry spots are limited.

Cave-like:

Deserter’s Gutter (6 entry points)
Crevice in the Highlands (4 entry points)
Keyhole (1 entry point)
Icespire Chasm (2 entry points)
Anthill (1 entry point but is wide)
Boundary Spillway (2 entry points)
Tyros’ Passage (3 entry points)
Snake/Glowing goop cave in North Jungle (1 entry point)
Desert crack (3 entry points)
North Jungle crack (1 entry point but tall)
Building next to Westwatch Keep (2 entry points)

Pillars that require bat or climbing, so open at top:

Heliograph Heights
Priestking’s Retreat

Ceiling type pillars:

Watcher of the Passage (4 entry points w/exploitable cracks)
Dagon’s Embrace x2 (each 4 entry points w/exploitable cracks)
Southern Aquaduct (4 entry points)
Westwatch Keep (4 entry points)
Eastern Barracks (5 entry points with an extra room with 1 entry point)

There is a mix of options on mountainsides, pillars along the greenwall, noob river and around the map that could be considered as well but are not as popular.

When it comes to hidey holes around the map that could be considered, now, meta. There’s not really any good hiding spots anymore because of the prevalence of content creators revealing them and the game is old enough to have veterans that are very familiar with the map.

An issue on Official servers that has cropped up over time are longstanding clans (not necessarily Alphas) that claim a majority of the best spots.

Newer players don’t have the advantage of the experience in surviving on a PVP server so these longstanding clans, with their hoards, will obliterate any possible threat.

So that means that getting creative in playstyles might happen. Like ratting it out. Using certain exploits or means of retaining the loot required to be effective. Not having a base and being completely nomad. Etc.,…

But ultimately a straight base on the ground without a perma structure, landscape bonus or being up high is an EasyRaid™.

Keyhole

This is what makes it the ultimate meta spot. This 1 entry point.

There are problems with every single permastructure. You have to consider exploiters that can place bombs through the permastructure because of the incomplete nature of meshes.

Then there’s hackers.

So what players tend to do is stack outwards and all around the structure. Accidentally despawning some of the NPCs in the back or preventing access to the lorestone on the left.

If you’re used to combat fighting, you’ll want to have anticlimb cells or areas. This helps with defence as well. Then war pyramids for quick recovery of HP and vaults for easy dumping of swiped kits.

This base would require out buildings to house an animal pen and a stable. Which means the base would probably extend out to about like so:

Deserter’s Gutter

It can be one of the most defensible spots but runs multiple risks.

6 entry points like so:

This is where most would put their beds.

This area would be stack on both ends, plugging up the 2 top holes.

Then there’s the entry ways on both ends that tend to be built up.

This area is pretty big.

Some have argued that it’s a passageway… but you can go through Tradeway easily.

The biggest risk here is the discovery of the POI.

The Crevice

There are 4 points of entry, the bowl, front entry, back entry and the tunnel at the top.

This is where the POI is discovered.

Probably about the same real estate as Gutter but very large as well.

Again, argued as a passageway but also supported by a staff member that the main problems are discovery of the POI and despawning the pig babies.

With this entry, the bowl and the back entry near the bear, it tends to be very built up, stacked, to prevent easy raiding.

I’d like to note that Funcom has stated that building big is not the problem. Neither is having multiple bases.

There’s a lot of things that must be taken into consideration with any build in PVP.

• Have you built in such a way that you’ve forgotten some stacking?
  • Are there enough doors?
  • Do you build with NO doors and use only a transportory stone that you absolutely, 100%, ensure is off on the inside during raid time?
  • Or, do you travel inside and out by summoning corpse and a maproom or bedroll + bed? Are you limiting your ability of egress to respond?
  • Do you have easy access to load out of healing potions, buff potions and food, extra armor kits and weapons?
  • Are you going to rely solely on repair meta and hope that repairing saves the day?

Now I am a visual artist. I LOVE making and creating things. You’d think I would love building interesting and creative builds and have done more in that department. I have devoted my time in Conan to understanding and learning the best ways to be as impactful as I can in PVP because I’ve enjoyed the experiences I have had socially.

With that said I have not even covered the beautiful builds that require space in order to build. Or the crazy amount of options available in the vanilla game alone for decorative items. I used to care more about that stuff before I got suspended multiple times. I’ve abandoned caring about that though.

The very long drawn out point I am trying to make here is that our perceptions of most things are skewed by our own experiences and opinions.

What you may think is reasonable is probably not reasonable for me.

If you play PVE, PVE-C or Singleplayer you probably would never build like me. I would never build like you because I play PVP.

I build what would probably be considered smaller PVP bases because I am worried about the ToC, while others build beautiful castles that will be crumbled in 30 mins by me because only beautiful is irrelevant to PVP.

But if I was to build functional, defensible AND beautiful bases on PVP it would be big.

With all this said, adding the dyer’s bench to a base can sometimes be one of the most annoying things.

Now to make the dyer’s bench “functional” in this most convoluted way is… like asking a job applicant to upload their resume, then answer questions in the online application that are in their resume, then also print the resume for the interview but request they also bring a copy of their resume to said interview… instead of just requiring them to have uploaded the damn resume…full stop.

6 Likes

This post unintentionally serves to list some of the reasons that, after playing strictly on PvP servers for many years, I finally switched to PvE-C, in addition to not wanting the time investment of having to be on to defend every raid window anymore.

It’s a very well-written post, though, and I agree with everything you said with one important caveat. I would point out, that while you say Funcom has stated that building big isn’t a problem, I’m not sure why they would have said that. Building big and having massive amounts in storage, etc., is definitely a major problem for a multitude of reasons. Resource demands for rendering and physics calculations cause client lag when you approach them; network bandwidth and data transfer need to be accounted for as all those pieces are sent to the client. Most importantly, database size and I/O operations play a role. Since this game mostly uses only one CPU thread, as the server database becomes bloated, especially from mega-structures, performance diminishes. Obviously, this can be mitigated somewhat with very expensive server hardware, which is how I address it. But even then, there is only so much you can do with a single thread. If the database grows to an unmanageable number, probably somewhere around 300MB or so, it’s game over. And if you’re on an official server or some other G-Portal style shared hosting plan, I’d imagine that number is much lower. So, I can only speculate as to why Funcom may have made such a statement, but I can say for sure it’s absolutely false.

Regardless, I agree with your assessment of the dying bench changes. I’m not sure what someone was thinking there, but I’m used to controversial changes no one asked for at this point.

Edit: I should probably point out too that building in crevice on official can result in a base wipe. I’ve put the theory to the test before.

100%

But at the same time, they’ve maintained a few things with Crevice and supported a comment I made long ago.

There are 4 possible issues:

The POI itself.
The baby pig spawns.
The goat spawn.
The bear and POI in the back.

If one or all are affected then it would be a legitimate admin wipe and suspension.

Otherwise it’s report meta and/or the disconnect between the reports and actual investigations. Of which they will not be forthcoming about. One thing is for sure though, they don’t actually visit the server and location. They admitted that recently.

Like you mentioned, being resource intensive is one of the problems. So not the size of the base itself.

Anyone saying the big bases is an issue is continuing a false narrative and muddying any discussions on the topic.

I guess it depends on what the issue is we’re talking about. Maybe I misunderstood, but if if lag and poor server performance are the issue, then big bases are definitely a major contributing factor. To be clear here I mean really big. The bases you’ve shown in your images don’t really meet the criteria.

In the post I linked the idea was put forth that with all of the benches it requires building big. In a comment, it was countered because you only need certain things. This is categorically untrue because depending on the mode and playstyle, this would require building in what could be unreasonable to some. Big is subjective.

This post aims to explain under certain circumstances why “big” is required in PVP.

If we’re talking massive like covering entire grid squares ya, it’s too much. But it comes with all the other little things that cause those issues. Such as preventing access to POIs (so many), spawns, chests, resources, pathway.

The other element is placeables. The building pieces themselves don’t cause performance issues like most think. Instead, building a massively decorated base is going to cause performance issues. Just like you mentioned. Then you throw in the fact that some of the “building” pieces are actually placeables, like hatches and doors…

Add in that building in permastructures alone, it is deceiving. So in Crevice or Gutter, you’re contained but if you were to take that permastructure out of the equation, the base would appear really large.

Alright, I’m wasting more time on here than I wanted to now, but I’m going to respond because this is important for people to understand. There is a reason why people set building limits; it’s not a mass misconception.

In the context of this game, which utilizes the Unreal Engine 4, the assertion that building pieces do not significantly impact server performance is incorrect. To understand why, we must delve into the specifics of game engine architecture and server-client interaction in a networked environment.

Firstly, every building piece in Conan Exiles is stored in a database with its specific location and state. This database is accessed and modified by the server. In a multiplayer game like this, the server is responsible for maintaining game state consistency across all clients. When a large number of building pieces exist, the server must constantly process this extensive data, which includes reading, updating, and synchronizing the state of these pieces. This operation is predominantly single-threaded, which means it is executed sequentially on a single CPU core. In practical terms, this creates a bottleneck, as the processing capacity of a single core is finite and can become overwhelmed by excessive data.

Secondly, the notion that the replication of building pieces that often confuses people on this matter (i.e., using the same model to represent multiple in-game objects) aids in reducing lag is only partially accurate. While it does help in reducing the amount of data sent to the client and the rendering workload on the client’s hardware, this technique does not significantly alleviate the server’s workload related to maintaining the state and consistency of these objects. The server must still process each individual piece’s interactions and state changes, regardless of whether they share the same model or not.

Lastly, it is true that client-side performance issues, such as those caused by numerous light sources or decorations, differ from server-side performance issues. Client-side issues mainly pertain to rendering and local processing, which can be mitigated by powerful hardware. Server-side issues, however, are inherent to the game’s architecture and the limits of its data processing capabilities. When a server hosts a large base with many building pieces, it must continually process a substantial amount of data, leading to increased CPU load and potential performance drops.

So, while client-side performance in this game can be affected by graphical and environmental elements, server performance is significantly impacted by the sheer volume of building pieces. This impact is due to the intensive data processing required to maintain the state and synchronization of these pieces, exacerbated by the limitations of single-threaded processing in a complex, multiplayer game environment.

2 Likes

well put. See if this is a good metephor??? Single core is like a 2 lane highway between a warhouse (server) and my store (client). Our data (bldng, stats, etc) are like diesels pulling trailers of goods. The player (diesel), and everything else stacked in trailers. More trailers means longer traffic lines. The heavier a trailer, the more it effects actual surface of the road. Damaged roads means traffic moves slower (lag) and causes jack-knifes (desync and kicked from server.)

1 Like

Minimum building area varies on location and circumstances. But in many situations the minimum building are (minus altars, since they are a bit special) the dimensions of a map room. The reason being is it is the largest piece that needs to be protected. Everything else can fit above or under it.

One of the benefits to the building system is you can build in three dimensions. It is better for the server to build up, rather than out. It also allows you to fit builds into smaller locations, height withstanding.

As I said in other threads, the effect a single person (clan) has with a buildiung on a server is minimal. It only adds up when you consider the 500-2500 players per server (when talking about 6 year old 40 man servers). That’s when the number of building pieces goes from 25-50k for a single very large build… to around 2.5-5.0M or more for busier servers.

Great post but really sad to have to explain that to people that should play their game and know it by themself…

as a pvp player since early access can only add that since 2020/21 all change that have been done to the game force to build bigger and bigger base in pvp gameplay if you want to not wake up everyday in desert (i still remenber time where explosive were doing less area damage and what have been introduced with explosive at age of sorcery is simply gamebreaking with wide fire bomb damage, and can ever be used to kill players giving them no luck to be able to defend their base), i remenber arrow that were doing half less damage, i remenber that it was taking time to raid when we were not able to skip all anticlimb and go directly to the roof using sorcery. I remenber before workbench rework that we were able to fit all needed workbench in very tiny base, which we are no more able to do, and let’s not talk about the free battering ram (400 gold to the merchand, seriously?) and the new siege weapons that will even make it worst and more gamebreaking as there is ability to hit exactly where you want without having to invest time to aim (so no difficulties at all)

on a pvp server in actual state of the game due to the choice of dev in gameplay balance there is no other way than to builf big for your craftable area if you play legit. and even if you build big it will only allow you to survive to newbie players, but any experienced player will level to ground any base in 30mn max which is a very sad state of game for pvp siege.

2 Likes

Thing is like I wrote, our experiences and modes of play shape our viewpoints. You and I play PVP. We know what is required, how the game mechanics have changed things, why we need to do the things we do.

Sometimes people don’t think beyond their own purview though.

In this thread @Bourbon states:

Subjective really, what is “huge” to them?

But then it’s countered by @DeaconElie:

And proceeds to explain what they do with building.

Now, this is specific to their play style and mode of play. Without considering the other modes or playstyles or even what “huge” means.

So, for you and me, wanting to be effective in PVP, means that we need to use the best benches available to us. They’re big and understandably so for immersion purposes.

Using T1 and T2 will yield less production. We’ll be inefficient and because time is so important, even more loss could result. Like not having enough extra good kits and weapons, or build mats to build/repair, enough DP to counter raid, having a vault or enough potions to heal during combat.

I certainly miss the smaller benches and many of the systems… but we’re PVPers, we adapt to loss right?

That is basically what I was saying even though “big” is subjective. You CAN cram all your production into a permastructure like Keyhole and add a maproom inside. When bubbles were a thing, you always chose Yog because it had the smallest hitbox and fit that in there too.

But it’s the rest, whether it be Keyhole, Gutter, the docks, Barracks, etc.,… defence is required to survive and it can’t be 1 wall thin because of exactly the issue: building damage from explosions. If you want to have all the rest of the expected things like animal pens, stables, wheels, etc.,… it will extend outward. Or, you build additional bases which seems to be a matter of contention with many people on the forums.

Sure you can build vertically but it won’t necessarily be defensible.

Then add the consideration of performance on top of it all. What really is “too many building pieces”? That is very situational. I’ve been on so many servers in the last 6 months. Some have what I consider to be huge bases. The only ones that affected me were the ones that were decorated.

Except for 1530, no one can raid or defend on there effectively due to lag. Someone always gets the shit end of the stick because there is something very wrong with that server.

3 Likes

i can only confirm what you are explaining, of my experience the only thing that make lag a server is a base with hundred of plaçables (especially the bazard stuffs)

I mean i was playing on pvp official server full of people, at that time it was 50 players, and servers were full of gigantic base, and no it had never been a problem of lag, and anyways on a pvp server if you have a problem with a base it just a matter of 1 hour to farm the bomb needed to level it to ground, or to use a god. And it was the good time because what is fun on a pvp server is a base to defend or raid…and to make it easy is not the road to a good game, because what make a game interesting is difficulty and need to learn and improve your skills…

problems of pve servers are not the same than pvp servers, it’s what i try to explain for may be 3 years, we build in a way on pvp server because of the game balance that developper did, and what you need to build on a pvp server simply to acheive the goal of the game which is to survive is not needed on a pve server, any pve player that do not understand can try to play on a pvp server to understand it, if they don’ t do well may be consider you don’t have the experience to talk about it and will agree with you that on pve server huge and multiple bases are not needed; but on pvp server they are needed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.