Roleplay Servers

Let me begin with I am looking for an RP server. With that I have now tried quite a few of the currently listed servers and from them have grown a list of questions perhaps the community at large can answer. First question is regarding the common mods that I see on RP servers. I have read REH’s books and seen the original films. I never got into the comics but generally considered them to be non-canonical anyway. Did I miss the part where the Hyborian Age was mostly BDSM and fetishes? I mean sure he did not shy away from ‘barbarian life’ but why is this so prevalent? It’s like being on a Conan themed Second Life island. Along the same lines is the inclusion of mods that provide anything from Lord of the Rings gear and lightsabers to the ability to become a werewolf or pixie. Over the years I have run into a fair share of those who enjoy roleplaying all sorts of things. What interested me was that so many of the RP servers feature these mods.

My second question regards multipliers. I also have noticed that private servers love XP, harvest, and other various multipliers. No real issue with that. It does beg the question of why are these still just as common on RP servers? How exactly does one roleplay the fact that they just got cut down from a cross half-dead and suddenly they are level 60 with in a couple of hours? What is the RP for I can harvest several tons of fiber or ore with just a couple swings and then somehow players can walk around with thousands of pounds stuffed in their loin cloth? (yeah I threw that one in their on purpose for the cheap seats)

Everyone has the right to their own style of roleplay of course. I just got to the point after my umpteenth “RP server” why I kept running into the same generally oversexed Comic Con gathering where the laws of physics don’t exist.

Stranger: Who are you?
Me: I am Shadex, of Aquilonia.
Stranger: I am Kongdong69 and you are in my kingdom and are now my ■■■ slave. Put this gag in your mouth or I will have my half-Trex friend destroy you!
*Kongdong69 begins to cast magic missile

The contradiction really gives me a good giggle. They will include a mod where you have to go the bathroom but not be bothered by the fact that you can walk around with 100 sandstone foundations in your pocket. Advertisements are made that it is an RP server only to find that half the people have internet handles for character names and global chat might as well be called Barrens.

So… aside from hopefully getting some others to share their experiences and insight into Conan RP servers perhaps someone out there knows of a simple roleplay focused, REH lore specific, physics adhering, normal progression server where people won’t be running around in a leather thong with 1,000+ armor because they ‘fashioned’ their Silent Legion plate. Danko!

4 Likes

I do not know of a server that specifically ticks all of what you’re searching for. Granted, yours is a very reasonable list. There’s a community specifically for RPers with many different server ads both on its enjin site and Discord. If you’d like to peruse the different ads, this link will get you started.

1 Like

I have a role-playing server that suits my tastes perfectly. It’s called “Single-Player”.

Out in the wide world, there are millions of ways to play “role-playing games”. My tabletop group has been together for 17 years, with only one person leaving the group and another recruited to replace him. Our play styles have grown together, we’ve learned to know what we like, and we have a lot of fun and few conflicts, especially when it comes to “how to role-play”.

And when I’ve described our tabletop RPG sessions to outsiders, I’ve been told that we’re doing it wrong. We’re not playing the games “like they’re meant to be played”.

I wish you good luck in your quest for a good RP server. Luck is what you’ll need if you want to run into people who role-play like you.

Much appreciated. I am glad you found a server filled with people that roleplay like you as well.

Without too shamelessly trying to advertise, I think this here is exactly what you are looking for:

A server that fills this exact niche. Lore adherent to REH-source material and admins that step on your toes if you deviate too far from it.
The focus is immersion and the whole gritty, tense setting of the Hyborian Age, with emphasis on good old human vs human culture clashes and without any magic or supernatural phenomena that are not included in the base game.

Currently running the Isle of Siptah map.
Due to the specificness of this niche, the population is rather low, but it is a clear case of quality > quantity.
(and we don’t have Sexiles :wink: )
https://forums.funcom.com/t/game-of-thralls-isle-of-siptah/143009

3 Likes

I absolutely second what Gnadolin said.
I am also very picky, when it comes to my RP experience, and GoT checked all my boxes.
You like fear, can live with the idea of Perma-Death and RPing hostile interactions, but also friendly, realistic RP & dedication to Lore, then GoT is for you.

I have played on many, many RP servers and while many have sexiles installed and have ERP, there are many that don’t and aren’t focussed on ERP. I just started playing on role play server called Ravaged Lands for PC. Fantastic! I straight away met a role player interested in crafting long running stories. https://discord.gg/pxFaHH

I currently run a Conan RP server and proud to say it’s in the top 10 servers on Battle Metrics. We do not run sexiles or any mod that would violate twitch ToS. We are highly RP focused.

I can answer your question about the multiplier rates. RP servers are about the roleplay, not playing the game. A large number of storytellers are also twitch streamers and while some may love watching someone run around and cut down trees for hours, most do not.

Depending on the RP story arc, we may allow our storytellers to bump their character to 60 or 120 depending. Again, it’s about RPng your character and level usually doesn’t factor into it.

I would also make the recommendation that if you are interested in RP, that you consider learning concepts like force RP, Power gaming, and Meta gaming.

The example you provided would be considered power gaming and not allowed on any of your dedicated RP servers, in any game.

We are currently running a story arc of the Greek pantheon. While we ask that our story tellers do their best to adhere to theme, we do not force people to RP a certain way outside of violating certain rules, mostly created to avoid the level of toxicity you are referring to.

The server has custom themed dungeons created by our admins that are part of the server story arc. ie: You have to retrieve items for Jason and the Argonauts to help him with his quest, meanwhile, trying not to anger the gods and having your own story as well.

Roleplay, imo, is some of the most rewarding gaming I’ve seen. It creates an unpredictable environment and replayability in an otherwise dull experience.

I’ll put it this way. I have almost 2600 hours in Conan. Some of our members have over 6000. There are only so many times you can play that guy in the loincloth collecting sticks.

Also, prior to roleplay, I think I had about 120 hours in Conan before I got bored with it.

1 Like

With over 40 years around gaming I am well versed in the idea of powergaming and metagaming. I suppose it does come down to each individual’s interest in roleplaying. One could liken it to the difference between the journey and the destination. If one is really only interested in playing the character and their adventures once they have already achieved greatness then it seems logical. Some may wish to incorporate the struggle of growth and early hardships into their character development. I remember a single side quest in FFXIV where my character was unable to save one NPC that was assisting in the battle and it haunted him for the rest of his career.

Recently the internet has been abuzz with discussions regarding the new Mulan movie and how its complete removal of her growth and training present in the original made her feel shallow. We never got to see her overcome or truly be challenged and as such never celebrated her triumphs. It’s just my opinion and playstyle but rushing to endgame I would find it difficult to feel any attachment to the character as they breezed through everything in mere hours.

To each their own is of course the core of this discussion I guess. I will keep searching as we all must. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. And then just like four more at 8x XP. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.