Shrine Offerings: Awesome Concept, But Aren't We Forgetting Something

My pleasure @stelagel, although I am not quite done yet old friend. I shall now hit you with sone relevant lore from a variety of sources, then given how long this post has become, perhsps attempt to further illustrate the case for why I feel that the case for more in-game Crom features/goodies/artifacts/items/additions (call them whatever one likes; I use these terms interchangeably to denote the same thing) is both compatible within the parameters of the lore, and has merit, and makes sense from the point of a game mechanic. Or I can just reply to peoples as required.

Now it is important to establish that some online sources have a tendency to embelish facts and and insert their own narrative to a) add interest for readers, or b) to further their own claims. Now, while this can make for more interesting reading, it also creates contextual issues and distortions. So while some sites such as wikipedia, fandoms, blogs, etc make claims, they often do not do their due dilligent fact checking (remind anyone of wider societal problems…?), resulting in the spreading of false or out of context lore and information. For example, in the video it states that “Crom sees prayer as a sign of weakness”, and that “Crom approves of courage and tenacity, even if the human is too frail to succeed” and also “bestows people at birth with the courage to survive, persevere and vanquish adversity”. Now while such claims ‘fit’ with the lore and and are quite possible, perhaps even probable, they can not be referenced or directly tied to any official source of lore, but are rather desciptive and speculative additions by fans. As is anything which cannot be directly referenced, and which I am more than happy to acknowledge if it can. So, I will say this now both loudly and clearly:

:warning: Every, and I do mean EVERY lore fact I claim both here and in my Crom overhaul thread, I can directly reference! :warning:

Now then, onto some referenced lore shall we. Let us start with that taken straight from the great mans pen.

ROBERT E HOWARD LORE:

While there are dozens of small or tiny snippets relating to Crom, primarily invocations (eg-‘by Crom!’), there is a surprising paucity of discussion surrounding Crom in Howard’s works. So I shall begin with the two most commercial, well known ones then follow with two others which I feel are relevant to my calls to expand upon Crom.

1. His gods were simple and understandable; Crom was their chief, and he lived on a great mountain, whence he sent forth dooms and death. It was useless to call on Crom, because he was a gloomy, savage god, and he hated weaklings. But he gave a man courage at birth, and the will and might to kill his enemies, which, in the Cimmerian’s mind, was all any god should be expected to do. ~The Tower of the Elephant

2. He dwells on a great mountain. What use to call on him? Little he cares if men live or die. Better to be silent than to call his attention to you; he will send you dooms, not fortune! He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man’s soul. What else shall men ask of the gods? ~Queen of the Black Coast

Ok we are warming up nicely here. Now for two others which I believe are relevant to the crux of my own argument:

1. “Crom! His mighty shoulders twitched…Give me a clean sword, and a clean foe for me to flesh it in. Damnation! What I would not give for a flagon of wine!” ~The Scarlett Citadel

2. They were a moody and brooding race, whose gods were Crom and his brood. They did not practice human sacrifice, for it was their belief that that their gods were indifferent to the fate of men. ~Notes on Various Peoples of the Hyborian Age.

EXPANDED UNIVERSE LORE

There we are. Now on to the Expanded Universe lore which I feel is relevant to my advocacy for change. There is of course more examples than this both in existence and outlined in my Crom overhaul thread. However, I am only going to draw upon the ones relevant to my advocacy, for additional goodies. Some are summarised, as they are MANY paragraphs long, and I can link people to the full versions elsewhere. Once again, ALL of these lore pieces can be referenced.

1. Crom came to power by defeating the ancient demon Shuma-Gorath. In an act of desperation, the early humans who suffered beneath him cried out to Crom for aid. He instructed them to read from three Iron-Bound Books. Upon doing so, Crom appeared as a Flame-headed Storm Cloud, overwhelmed overwhelmed and subdued the demon with Lightning, then imprisoned him in what was renamed Ben Morgh (Mount Crom). ~Conan the Barbarian 1#260.

2. Conan and a group of Cimmerian captives freeling from Hyperboreans invoked the ‘Wrath of Crom’ in order to defeat them. Following a summoning ritual, a great chasm opened in the up ground, and a Leigon of Undead Warriors emerged and slew the hapless Hyperboreans. ~Savage Sword of Conan #157.

3. Conan and a band of Kozaki raiders are trapped by a snowstorm and avalanche. His former allies having turned on him, starving and freezing, Conan is close to death. Suddenly he is called before Crom (depicted seated upon a Throne, with Idols, a Greatsword, Spears and Armour present) and his Undead Warriors, who admonishes him to live. Conan awakens with renewed vigor. ~Savage Sword of Conan #110.

4. Facing a dishonourable and unworthy death at the hands of a malevolent sorcerer, Crom intervenes to save him from certain death, so he may have a more glorious one. Conan slays the sorcerer and later makes only his second Sacrifice ever to Crom (a goat) as restitution. ~King Conan #8.

5. Crom or a Statue of him seated on a throne are found in a cave on the eastern side of Ben Morgh where he watches over the Burial Mounds, known as the Fields of the Dead, wander aimlessly for all eternity. ~Conan the Valorous.

6. When a boy is born a Ritual asks Crom to grant it “the Power to Strive and Slay”. ~Handbook of the Conan Universe.

7. *Crom was originally slated to cause a Powerful Purge Creatures to appear if called upon. And to have his own avatar which would directly strike enemy avatars with Lightning. ~Conan Exiles. (early development)

8. Crom was known to hurl Star Metal Meteorites at his enemies Ymir and his Frost Giant children in battles…AND a group of Cimmerians who were foolish enough to ask him for direct aid during one of those battles. ~Age of Conan.

9. Star Metal is also percieved by the Cimmerians as a gift sent by Crom, who also believes in the freedom of man. ~Conan the Adventurer.

10. Crom weapons, armor and artifacts exist in various lore sources. Conan’s Fathers sword is dedicated to Crom in the 1984 movie, with the runes etched on its blade translated to “Suffer no shame ye who wield this in the name of Crom”. There is also the Sword of Crom and Crom’s Hammer in the game, which are tributes to him. There is also his mountain insignia. Crom has his own unique armor, spears and a greatsword, an idol and a unique ornate throne adorning his throne room (pictured below). ~Conan the Barbarian, Conan Exiles, Savage Sword of Conan #110.

There are some of the fundamentals from a variety of sources for yourself and and my fellow forum members. I am happy to call the links I see in them to provide a clearer rationale.

5 Likes