Been making gold and silver runs on a pretty regular basis and thought it was time to remove that from my daily list of grindy tasks. So I saved up my gold, bought a bunch of rocknose eggs and created my new precious metals farm. It is still in process, but this is what I have so far. Will provide an update when complete and results on materials gained over time.
- Each egg (merchant in Jahebbal camp) is 10 gold, so save up 1000 gold or more, because they may not all live. (more on eggs in a bit)
- Getting maximum results on either gold or silver rocknose requires shadebloom, so get to farming it. Crafting signs is really expensive, so the grove is your best bet. From 20 signs, I only received about 8 shadeblooms. Jhebbal signs are crafted from the altar and are used like traps to turn animals (aggressive and non aggresive) into were-beasts. If you get a warewolf (stands on 2 legs), you can harvest it’s corpse for a bloom. Just 1. More than half the time I only got disappointing words. The mini bosses in the midnight grove harvest for much more.
- Build 2 dedicated rocknose pens - one for gold outcome and one for silver outcome.
- Hatch those eggs. Either carry them in inventory for a long time (varies based on server settings for decay and such) or place in your compost bin. BE VERY CAREFUL when in the bin. The timer speeds up greatly and goes incredibly fast when you leave the base where the bi is located. If you leave base to speed it up, come back and check the bin every couple minutes. Most should make it but some may die on hatching. Get the live ones out IMMEDIATELY or they will die. Don’t leave them in until they all hatch or they will likely die.
- Make 50 shadespiced gold dust and 50 shadespiced silver dust.
- Place the babies in the pens: 5 stacks of 10 for each pen.
- Add 50 silver shadespice dust to one pen and 50 gold shadespice dust to the other.
Pretty much just wait for them to grow up, then keep them in there for production. Most will be normal, but many will be silver and gold producers. I just completed my silver batch and about 40% success on the turnout, so I was lucky. Below is my farm. Bottom is my normal pen and 2 levels above are my rocknose pens. Hope this helps someone
Edit: My friend did one and then after all her golds were grown and producing, she removed the plain rocknose. DON"T DO THIS. The regular produce lots of iron ore and crystal. Once you take them out, you can’t get them back in. Her gold pen still produces gold fine and some iron + crystal, but not nearly as much of those.
Edit2: I need to mention that the being able to stack rocknose babies and put up to 50 in a pen at once is due to a mod that increases my stack size. I also run my server with no pet hunger and decay set low. The no pet hunger was because the pet & thrall hunger system was bugged for me. Mine would not eat and were starving.